FedEx Freight | liftgate drivel

One thing that Fedex needs to address are size and weight limits for liftgate service. I have seen 12 foot long crates that said liftgate required on the bill of lading. That ain’t happening. Also extremely heavy skids are both dangerous for the driver, and may exceed the liftgates recommended weight limit. There needs to be a policy addressing both size and weight limits for liftgate service. SAFETY ABOVE ALL!
I agree. At the very least, customer service needs to set expectations so when we arrive at a residence the customer is NOT surprised that his/her huge ass crate is too big for the liftgate.

Amazon is not the end all/be all. Sometimes your order is cheaper for a reason. A flatbed with an attached forklift is what you need.

As much as it seems FXF wants us to be "White Glove" it ain't happening. At least not with the ancient equipment on hand.

OK, the only bit of official education on liftgates that I've seen, is this:

pl4O1b6.jpg

xGWU9J2.jpg

DGN72W4.jpg

In order to get your very own copy, search intranet for policies and procedures/lift_gate... There could very well be updates since this printing in 2015

Now you know :rulz: Learn anything interesting?

:smilie93c peelout:

Every lift gate I've ever driven ,either for FedEx or OD has had a weight capacity sticker on it . Most where 3500lbs.

Every lift gate I've ever driven ,either for FedEx or OD has had a weight capacity sticker on it . Most where 3500lbs.

Billy doesn't need a liftgate for anything less than 5k, but every one is not a Mastio champ.

Reactions: Ump
People like this kill me. You're having this heavy, awkward, expensive piece of equipment delivered. To your house. And then you complain about how it has to be unloaded by a liftgate. Very awkwardly.

If you run a business that requires heavy equipment, have the decency to at least have access to a forklift or a Moffett. Otherwise, you get what you get.
Customers have no idea how big a liftgate is. All they know is that they get a call from FXF saying unless they can pull the freight off a liftgate service of at least $125 will be charged. They choke at that, pay up, and then the driver shows up with a liftgate than can't even BEGIN to offload their big ass POS crate.

One thing that Fedex needs to address are size and weight limits for liftgate service. I have seen 12 foot long crates that said liftgate required on the bill of lading. That ain’t happening. Also extremely heavy skids are both dangerous for the driver, and may exceed the liftgates recommended weight limit. There needs to be a policy addressing both size and weight limits for liftgate service. SAFETY ABOVE ALL!
Yeh good luck with that.

The lift gates on the R & L trailers are big & have a large weight capacity. I have watched a few drivers use them & wish ABF had them when I was working. A lot of injuries & busted freight with small & cheap lift gates. Every lift gate we had was repaired with welding cracks @ least twice a year. One of the last things that gets serviced, if at all. von.