TForce | Like sheep lead to slaugter.2yrs.to decert.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
Looks like the Teamsters may be getting their way?
Is Jimmy H.jr up for re-election soon?

Remember Organizing Overnite or running them out of buisness was his plateform for election the first time,he was welcomed by his brothers,to become their fearless leader.

If in fact their wearing everyone down to join them.

If we become Teamsters than find out it wasn't the land of milk,and honey thats been talked about by all the Teamsters recruiters,ever since Jimmy jr. has shown up.

It takes at the least two years to get them to go away,may be more.

I've seen buisnesses that its happened at.
The workers found out that their companies where treating them worse than when they where non-union,and that it was very hard to advance with wages,and benefits.

So as soon as they could they decertified.
Now they,and of course their companies are happier being non-union again.

Now I'll watch all the hate posts come from this thread.

So I'll say your forgiven in advance.

no,,not hate,,,

Hate is what I have been shown by OVERNITE managment the past 6-8 months, I know what it is like non-union,,been on the dock at my terminal 12 years,,,, no not hate just time for a change and holding managment to go by the rules THEY made and put in a book.

Apostolic said:
Is Jimmy H.Jr up for re-election soon?

Remember Organizing Overnite or running them out of business was his platform for election the first time,he was welcomed by his brothers,to become their fearless leader.

If we become Teamsters than find out it wasn't the land of milk,and honey thats been talked about by all the Teamsters recruiters,ever since Jimmy Jr. has shown up.

I've seen businesses that its happened at.
The workers found out that their companies where treating them worse than when they where non-union,and that it was very hard to advance with wages,and benefits.

They just do get it and you'll never change their mind..:duh:

When will the teamsters have a new election? You might want to think about when (and if) all the Overnite people become a part of it, I am sure they will do their best to vote him out.

Johnnybegood said:
So you think if you vote yes management will become your friend...I think things will get worse if they get the vote passed....

JBG, management will not become your friend but you will have a written contract of what is expected of you and the company. The rules will not longer change on the fly and you will have a voice in your future.

Congratulations

CFer said:
JBG, management will not become your friend but you will have a written contract of what is expected of you and the company. The rules will not longer change on the fly and you will have a voice in your future.

Congratulations
Just like he says, THEY DON"T GET IT!!!! Maybe the hostility is that one guy can no longer screw another without being called on the carpet.....Guys like JBG there don't like rules because they have boundaries.....

Apostolic said:

Remember Organizing Overnite or running them out of buisness was his plateform for election the first time,he was welcomed by his brothers,to become their fearless leader.

If we become Teamsters than find out it wasn't the land of milk,and honey thats been talked about by all the Teamsters recruiters,ever since Jimmy jr. has shown up.

WE ARE NOT OVERNITE. WE ARE UPGF.TIME TO WAKE UP OVERNITE IS GONE

greezy trucker said:
Just like he says, THEY DON"T GET IT!!!! Maybe the hostility is that one guy can no longer screw another without being called on the carpet.....Guys like JBG there don't like rules because they have boundaries.....
Are you kidding me get ready to be screwed by every guy who thinks they have a beef with ya.....No dock work no extra work No washing your truck and plenty of part timers to lower the prices.....:smilie_132:

Apostolic said:

Us that are smart know that being represented by the Teamsters isn't the "land of milk and honey" and no one as far as I'm concerned has made it sound that way, in my eyes it IS a step forward and then some.How is it hard to advanced as far as wage and benefits? That is all covered under the contract. They can't freeze the pay or benefits with out a vote from employees. I have yet to see a Union member post any kind of hate here, but for the person that has thin skin, would probably think otherwise.

Johnnybegood said:
Are you kidding me get ready to be screwed by every guy who thinks they have a beef with ya.....No dock work no extra work No washing your truck and plenty of part timers to lower the prices.....:smilie_132:

JBG, We have dock work, I was my truck at least 3-4 times a week and there is no such thing as part timers under the NMFA.

I don't know where you are getting your information but you may want to check your sources

When I was a Teamster there were fines levied by the union

For practises I got used to working for UPS Freight formally Overnite.
Now you all know I work straight through the day with no breaks including lunch,other than driving,or waiting for a dock.

I'm also used to coming in early before clocking in.
I check my oil,and water levels.
also start the moter to build up my air pressure,I get my appoinment trailer hooked up,and pre-triped.
Than clock in,and get going.
I do all this so I can get out,and get back as fast as posible to finish loading,and secure my load on my route trailer.

I'm sure I'm going to get some real beautiful responces to my pre clock in practises.
But to get back to my question.

When I was a Teamster I just checked my oil off the clock once,and was told if I did it again I'd be levied a $100.00 fine.

Does that still happen in the new union?

You union posters claim I'm really out of touch because I've been with drawn for 20 years.
So please tell me true.

Will I still be able to work the way I'm comfortable with,or is this going to come to a swift stop,because I'll be looking at very large fines from your Teamsters organization?

Apostolic said:
For practises I got used to working for UPS Freight formally Overnite.
Now you all know I work straight through the day with no breaks including lunch,other than driving,or waiting for a dock.

also start the moter to build up my air pressure,I get my appoinment trailer hooked up,and pre-triped.
I do all this so I can get out,and get back as fast as posible to finish loading,and secure my load on my route trailer.

I'm sure I'm going to get some real beautiful responces to my pre clock in practises.
But to get back to my question.

When I was a Teamster I just checked my oil off the clock once,and was told if I did it again I'd be levied a $100.00 fine.

Does that still happen in the new union?

You union posters claim I'm really out of touch because I've been with drawn for 20 years.
So please tell me true.

Will I still be able to work the way I'm comfortable with,or is this going to come to a swift stop,because I'll be looking at very large fines from your Teamsters organization?

Apostolic,

In nearly 20 years, I have never heard of fines levied against a member. however, if you want to be technical, if you are not on the clock, you have no right to be on or near equipment. Let's look at this from a very simple and practical point. Say you raise the hood to check your fluids. For some reason, the hood latch slips and the hood comes down and for argument sake, breaks your arm. If you are clocked in, it becomes a worker's compensation claim. if you are not on the clock you are up the creek without a paddle, as the company can deny your claim because you were not officially at work...(off the clock). What would happen if you were doing your hook and had an accident in the yard? There are so many possibilities of things that could go wrong that would offer you no protection whatsoever if you were not on the clock.

I do all the things you do, every day as part of my routine. I also get paid for all my time involved in performing my job, (pretrips, post trips, shop time, cleaning the windows and mirrors, reworking and securing my freight, breaks and lunch). Now with a contract, if you work through your lunch, you will be paid for that time instead of giving it back to the company.

My TM doesn't want us clocking in before start time.

If I wait to do all these duties,than get going for my appoinment,everything will start backing up on me.

If I don't get my route complete,deliveries,and pick-ups I face the rath of my TM,because he faces the rath of his boss.
Seeing I'm over the hill in my age,I'd much rather do what I'm doing,so I don't have to run,and take unsafe chances to get my route done.
As far as being injured off the clock.
I'm covered the same as anyone thats on company property.
If a customer comes to the terminal to make a dock pick up,and falls anywhere outside of his vehical their covered by the companies insurance.
Up,and including a law suite.

So your telling me the Teamsters don't charge you with fines,if one of your companys union brothers blows you in for off the clock work?

I find it so hard to believe the union has changed so much since I had my book?

My first union company that I worked at that I didn't take a lunch back in the day.
I was threatend by another companys Teamster driver.

That if I didn't start having lunch between 11:30 & 1:00pm in a Resturant where a Teamster would see me,that my car was going to blow up in my face.

I told the TM,he said to make sure I started doing what they said because they weren't people that were kidding around.

You know come to think of it I wasnt the most popular..

Teamster brother in my local.
Maybe thats why they hung me out to dry,after the 20 years credited years?

Just goes to show me that if your a Teamster,well at least back in the old Teamsters union.

That if you rocked the boat,and didn't go along with all their union ways,that you were out of luck when you needed their representation for anything,regardless how big,or small.

So a word to the wise,if we do become Teamsters,pay your dues.
Payroll deduction is the best way to keep up to date.

Than keep your mouth shut,do what your told,by one, and all.

I'm talking to myself as well.

And we'll all live happly ever after,just like the story book endings.

Has anyone thought to callthe union and seewhat they are offering regarding pension vesting,initiation fees etc. or do we just sign and hope we do catch a pounding once they have 51%?

Apostolic said:

There is a couple of different issues here as far as you working off the clock.

One, the company is legally responsible to make sure you are paid for all time worked. They are also legally responsible to make sure you are not working off the clock. The company could run into all sorts of legal problems with the DOL and DOT if they are caught allowing you to work off of the clock.

Second, from a contractual point of view, there are problems. You are working before you start time, which would entitle you to overtime from the time you start working up to your start time. Also there is the potential seniority issue where the company is allowing a junior employee to start work before a senior employee.

I also have never heard of the Union leving fines against a member for working off of the clock. But I would be willing to bet there would be grievances filed for the company allowing an employee to work before his start time and off the clock. Somebody would be getting paid for the time you are giving the company for free.