TForce | Like sheep lead to slaugter.2yrs.to decert.

Skeeter said:
Do they deduct your lunch anyway. If they do then it would be a cold day in August before I wouldn't take it. :wavey:
Skeeter, You have been in the company long enough to know what the policy and what the law is regarding lunch. Weather they take a 1/2 lunch or not, they get 1/2 lunch break on paper in case of a DOT audit.

BusterNite said:
Skeeter, You have been in the company long enough to know what the policy and what the law is regarding lunch. Weather they take a 1/2 lunch or not, they get 1/2 lunch break on paper in case of a DOT audit.

Yes and like I said it would be a very cold day in August before I missed my lunch break if it was deducted.

teamster108 said:
As far as getting you lunch in. They will have to hire more people to get it done so that everyone gets their breaks and lunches as the contract says. I have been at Roadway for 10 years and If I missed a lunch it was because I chose to not because I was afraid of the TM.

That's because you are a big strong teamster. :biglaugh:

Whats right is right. Then again, you can keep being a yes man, have your p p slaped and hump like a dog with no food. Or steer with one hand and eat with the other dirty, greesy hand.

Apostolic said:
in my daily activities,or the TM will get busted by the company auditers.

Kind of a tricky thing,all of us P.& D. drivers are reponcible for getting our routes done.
We should be able to take a lunch break,but we have a very hard time fitting it into our daily grind.

Just by taking a half hour off,we may not be able to get our stops done.

So it comes down to either get the work done,or take breaks and have unhappy customers that expected to get their freight and will have to wait for another day.

And of course a TM that will go totaly ballistic that your not making the numbers.

See how much better you road drivers have it.
Just get paid to drive.

AP if they deduct a lunch break from your paycheck every day and you don't take that lunch shame on you.

I as you know am a Christan also. I also worked P&D before. Years ago they didn't deduct the lunch break from your wages if you didn't take one to get the work done. I know because I use to have it done.

However, The policy now is everybody has got to take a lunch. If everybody took their lunch like they were suppose to and a certain amount of freight didn't get delivered then they need to hire.

But if you and others keep working through your lunch then they can get it done off the backs of men like you.

Talk about being taken advantage of. I'm sorry I don't call that being a good worker and getting a job done. I call that not standing up for what's right and fair.

I think you need to rethink your position on that and not be afraid to stand up for yourself with the TM.

I know if I am doing a good job and so do you. Don't be intimidated take what is due you.

serta said:
Whats right is right. Then again, you can keep being a yes man, have your p p slaped and hump like a dog with no food. Or steer with one hand and eat with the other dirty, greesy hand.

Must be teamster lingo? :biglaugh:

Sorry about that.Your right Skeeter.

I do everything unto God as well as all my work.
Its above and beyond the average just getting by type of job eithic.
Yet it doesn't seem like its good enough for my TM,or the bosses he has that are putting the hammer down on him on a daily basis.

As much as I try to fit a half hour lunch break into my work day its just not happening.
I talked with my outbound supervisor to night.
I asked how the terminal could show me taking a half hour lunch when I'm not?
He says it comes out automaticly in the system.

I worked straight through today 11 &1/2 hours.
I stopped to purchase Mountain Dew on the way to my last two pickups.
It took about ten minutes.
I was putting skids on my trailer with my pallet jack,when the outbound supervisor called asking me if I was done with both pickups?
I said come on give me a break I work straight through with out lunch,and now you think I'm done already?

Than he asked me what took me so long?
I told him.
He let me alone untill I was all done.
So there you go.
Thats the P.& D. life for you,clock in to clock out non stop.

This isn't just me all our P.&D. drivers have the same life,out side of only two of us are Apostolic Pentecostal Born Again Christians.
He puts up with it like me.

Times have changed Skeeter,its the service that LTL trucking has to give to gain freight.
Everything is time,and our company doesn't want anything or anyone to slow down the moving of their freight.

teamster108 said:
As far as getting you lunch in. They will have to hire more people to get it done so that everyone gets their breaks and lunches as the contract says. I have been at Roadway for 10 years and If I missed a lunch it was because I chose to not because I was afraid of the TM.

In the NY, NJ supplement, it states that you shall be entightled to 1 hour lunch to be started after your 4th hour and completed before your 6th hour. Should you be directed to work through your lunch you will be paid for 1 hour at time and a half, plus take a mandatory 20 minute break. I will always stop for lunch when my run provides the time. If the run is heavy or I have early closers, I will advise my dispatcher of this. Usually, he has no problem paying for the "no lunch", especially when he knows I get the work covered. For the record, got 3 "no lunches" this week, and told nice job each day this week.

Boy it's nice to make extra money, get the work done, and a little "thank you" from dispatch.

Skeeter said:
AP if they deduct a lunch break from your paycheck every day and you don't take that lunch shame on you.

I as you know am a Christan also. I also worked P&D before. Years ago they didn't deduct the lunch break from your wages if you didn't take one to get the work done. I know because I use to have it done.

However, The policy now is everybody has got to take a lunch. If everybody took their lunch like they were suppose to and a certain amount of freight didn't get delivered then they need to hire.

But if you and others keep working through your lunch then they can get it done off the backs of men like you.

Talk about being taken advantage of. I'm sorry I don't call that being a good worker and getting a job done. I call that not standing up for what's right and fair.

I think you need to rethink your position on that and not be afraid to stand up for yourself with the TM.

I know if I am doing a good job and so do you. Don't be intimidated take what is due you.

Skeeter,

As a Teamster I couldn't have said it any better. :smilie_132: WOW! I must say, it is very refreshing when I can agree with you on a topic. I'm pretty sure most of us can truely say at the end of the day that we gave the boss a fair shake. Why is it then that management can never see it that way. Even in my world, there are some supes that think no matter what happens, we are all trying to f*** them, but, I have seen many a supervisor change their opinions of drivers just my spending a day in the passenger seat.

As for the lunch hour, I know that if work through for 9 straight hours and do not advise dispatch that I worked through lunch, they will deduct the hour and pay me for 8 hours for that day. That is why I always touch base with dispatch if I feel I will not cover the work by stopping for the hour. Let them make the decision and then let them live with the decision that they made.

bad habit said:
Has anyone thought to callthe union and seewhat they are offering regarding pension vesting,initiation fees etc. or do we just sign and hope we do catch a pounding once they have 51%?

I would guess that you wont get an answer because pension vesting will be a matter for negotiation. If it hasn't as yet been negotiated then no-one has the answer at this time. However, a union wouldn't negotiate your current pension benefits: only your future benefits. When you retire the two would get combined on a pro-rated basis.

Apostolic said:
I do everything unto God as well as all my work.
Its above and beyond the average just getting by type of job eithic.
Yet it doesn't seem like its good enough for my TM,or the bosses he has that are putting the hammer down on him on a daily basis.

As much as I try to fit a half hour lunch break into my work day its just not happening.
I talked with my outbound supervisor to night.
I asked how the terminal could show me taking a half hour lunch when I'm not?
He says it comes out automaticly in the system.

I worked straight through today 11 &1/2 hours.
I stopped to purchase Mountain Dew on the way to my last two pickups.
It took about ten minutes.
I was putting skids on my trailer with my pallet jack,when the outbound supervisor called asking me if I was done with both pickups?
I said come on give me a break I work straight through with out lunch,and now you think I'm done already?

Than he asked me what took me so long?
I told him.
He let me alone untill I was all done.
So there you go.
Thats the P.& D. life for you,clock in to clock out non stop.

This isn't just me all our P.&D. drivers have the same life,out side of only two of us are Apostolic Pentecostal Born Again Christians.
He puts up with it like me.

Times have changed Skeeter,its the service that LTL trucking has to give to gain freight.
Everything is time,and our company doesn't want anything or anyone to slow down the moving of their freight.

AP, If you do your work as unto the Lord then I know you are working hard and have good work ethics. It will never be enough for your boss or supervisors. I am a little surprised at your age you don't realize that. I hate to come down hard on you but it makes me mad what you are letting them get away with. They put the hammer down on your TM and he puts the hammer down on the supervisors and they put the hammer down on the dock and drivers.

Your dock workers if they are behind loading inbound or outbound do they have to skip lunch. I think you know the answer to that.

You asked your supervisor to show you how to take your lunch break required by law and he avoids the question by saying it is automatically deducted. Do you think the only way you can get a lunch break and be treated fairly is if you were a teamster? They would do the same thing to a teamster if he would allow it.

If a supervisor ask what took so long tell him nothing I making good time. That's what I do. Remember it is his job to push you. Don't take it personal. But defend yourself. As far as time changing I disagree its always been cut throat. You right time is crucial but they need hire the right amount of people for the job not abuse the workers they have to make more profit.

Besides that lunch break you and others take might put another brother to work. Think about that...:wavey:

Animo916 said:
Skeeter,

As a Teamster I couldn't have said it any better. :smilie_132: WOW! I must say, it is very refreshing when I can agree with you on a topic. I'm pretty sure most of us can truely say at the end of the day that we gave the boss a fair shake. Why is it then that management can never see it that way. Even in my world, there are some supes that think no matter what happens, we are all trying to f*** them, but, I have seen many a supervisor change their opinions of drivers just my spending a day in the passenger seat.

As for the lunch hour, I know that if work through for 9 straight hours and do not advise dispatch that I worked through lunch, they will deduct the hour and pay me for 8 hours for that day. That is why I always touch base with dispatch if I feel I will not cover the work by stopping for the hour. Let them make the decision and then let them live with the decision that they made.
Well said:bgroovy:

Skeeter said:
Besides that lunch break you and others take might put another brother to work. Think about that...:wavey:
oh my:notworthy:, you sound like a teamster:bgroovy: ! I know you don't want to be one, but that is exactly the right Attitude.

Your right again Skeeter.

My co-workers,and I have been giving up our breaks for a long time now.
I'm sure our TM is used to it.
Change at this time may be very hard?

I do know he's hiring more workers.

I thought I heard him say there was a hiring freeze for awhile.

But I also know just before the launch date,any of us workers in the Overnite system could of transfered to any terminal in the country.

They all had notices on line for one P & D driver,one dock,and one road driver.

We thought if thats the case,maybe when we were rebranded buisness was really going to take off.

Here we are two months in,and if anything we've lost customers.

Go figure?

But back to the subject at hand.
(BREAKS.)

I'm sorry to say untill our terminal gets more drivers on the books,we'er all going to have to keep giving breaks away to get the work done.

We'll all have to look to the future for any changes in our favor.

I'm out of here,talk to you all sometime tomorrow.

My wife is a truckingboard widow.
I've really got to say she is nice to put up with me working all day,and posting half the night,till I'm burned out on sleep.

I'll take her out tonight,hope she will be happy?
So see me later!!!!