Line haul Flagstaff, AZ.

Discussion in 'Fedex Freight' started by D4n_H4l3n, Jan 28, 2018.

1. D4n_H4l3n

D4n_H4l3n New Member

Hello everybody, I’m new to these boards but not to FedEx Freight. I’ve been a city driver in Texas for fourteen years, been through a lot of changes in this area. I’m looking to get out of here, move west, Utah, Arizona etc. and am thinking of making the switch to Road Driver. I’ve been here long enough and have learned all of the FedEx trickery to know if I call that center I won’t get the truth, just what they think I will want to hear.

My question is if anyone knows or has first hand experience as to why the Road Driver position in Flagstaff ALWAYS posted on the job board? I have a few theories why that position must have a high turnover since Phoenix is so close.

1. Drive to Phoenix, work the dock 6 hours.
    2. Drive to Phoenix, work the dock 4 hours.
    3. Drive to Phoenix, they don’t let you work the dock but make you wait 4 hours for your hooks to be ready.
    4. It’s not even a “full time” Road Driver position.

Any insight you guys can give is greatly appreciated since I’m considering a pretty big, life changing move.
    Thanks.

2. 1truckdriver

1truckdriver Member

Either scenario 1 or 2. I'm not out of Flagstaff but I used to have Sbo-Flg bid. Decent amount of snow in the winter months too although this year there hasn't been too much. Flg has alot of big mile runs in the A.M. but of course the senior driver have first dibs.

3. Clandestine_ice

Clandestine_ice Kansas_City_Kitty

yea! those sumbitches cant keep anybody 'cause aint nobody wanna put in 6+ hours on a stupidass dock...just sayin'

Crazy Trucker and Big Dave like this.
  4. D4n_H4l3n

D4n_H4l3n New Member

That’s what I was thinking, I forgot about the weather though. Was your SBO to FLG a lay down? Are lay down runs not a high seniority bid in the Road Driver world? If not then maybe it’s a lay down, I would take a run like that.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  5. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Well-Known Member

Dock.....absolutely foreign concept.

Big Dave likes this.
  6. Big Dave

Big Dave What?! A low bridge and boardwalk at same time?!!

Not enough forklifts for all of you?? :17142:

7. Magooiest

Magooiest New Member

Its option one but more than likely extraboard. Cost of living is high. Its a small mountain town. Plus its supposed to be 75 man board so moving up will take a while.

8. Richard Cranium

Road Drivers only drive forklifts at night. Nighttime is when you sit at home drinking adult beverages and sleeping in your own bed .

9. 1truckdriver

1truckdriver Member

It was a layover run. 417 miles. Not the best (mileswise) for a laydown but nevertheless solid run and almost never got cut. I have a good turn run now

10. Richard Cranium

I’d rather have a 417 mile lay than a 450 turn.

troubleman84 and 1truckdriver like this.
  11. Topuza

Topuza New Member

At least is not like Chicago ,plenty of road runs between 6 and 50 miles one way

CenturyClass likes this.
  12. Richard Cranium

Upon further review, our tax professional has informed us that our new and improved tax code has no provision for per diem write offs, so kids that $12,000 per year layover write off good bye.

truckingBORED and silent trucker like this.
  13. silent trucker

silent trucker Well-Known Member

Bad news to be sure.

Richard Cranium likes this.