XPO | Linehaul at xpo

It is quite possible and maybe even likely you will work the dock more than you drive, but the worst part is they make you do it for FREE. No really, if you don't want to work the dock do not apply here. If you have enough sense to realize that p & d drivers make the same whether they hold the wheel of a Freightliner or of a Toyota forklift this place ain't to bad. If you don't mind supplementing your mileage pay with dockwork you'll be ok. If you have the mindset, " I'm a DRIVER, it's disrespectful to ask me to work the dock". You do not want to work here. Our system is set up to optimize next day and 2 day lanes. As a company we really don't care about long relays or coast to coast freight. Most of that freight goes on sub-service anyway.

8hrs on the dock is a hell of a lot better then 0hrs driving and sitting at home

I been running linehaul since I started in 94, we've gone thru a lot of changes but you were always expected to work the dock. We had turns, meets, layovers and reship ( we didn't call them FAC's back then). Reship drivers worked the dock the others got paid wait time kt127 if their trailers were not ready. My thought has always been, if you're not happy here you can leave. This company has provided me a great income ($114,000 in 2016), I'm home daily, weekends and holidays, when my parents died I got paid without having to use my PTO time. I've raised 5 children, have a 9.5 in the mountains where I'll retire
I've invested a lot into my 401. It's not perfect here but it fits my needs. I don't mind the dock at all. Heck, most of the freight is on pallets now anyways. There's always gonna be disgruntled drivers on here, in my opinion they should seek employment somewhere else.

I guess I could put it another way at our barn we have banners on the fence trying to hire people we run ads in the paper still nothing people know about how crappy it is here no one applies here they go to old dominion or wal mart or ups and drive no -30 degree dock in the winter or sweltering heat in the summer and more pay and vacation time over at them companies and you are a driver at them places not a traveling dock worker like you will be here oh some of these guys will paint you a pretty picture here but those are the guys that the management loves go actually talk to drivers on the street before you think of coming here if that your plan
Beg your pardon ...... been at OD 11years and still working the dock

I been running linehaul since I started in 94, we've gone thru a lot of changes but you were always expected to work the dock. We had turns, meets, layovers and reship ( we didn't call them FAC's back then). Reship drivers worked the dock the others got paid wait time kt127 if their trailers were not ready. My thought has always been, if you're not happy here you can leave. This company has provided me a great income ($114,000 in 2016), I'm home daily, weekends and holidays, when my parents died I got paid without having to use my PTO time. I've raised 5 children, have a 9.5 in the mountains where I'll retire
I've invested a lot into my 401. It's not perfect here but it fits my needs. I don't mind the dock at all. Heck, most of the freight is on pallets now anyways. There's always gonna be disgruntled drivers on here, in my opinion they should seek employment somewhere else.
Key word!!! Suits my needs. I love it here , I love working the dock, and I cannot think of a better place to work, because it SUITS MY NEEDS

I started in 93 , I would have never left If the old top Management had not wrecked the Company. I didn't mind working the dock. I do now with my current employer. I have found out that they don't have the best total compensation package as they boasted.

UPS (package) Feeder drivers make .80 +cents a mile 36.77 an hour when they are on the clock. Remember a $114,000 a year is great money but you are working 70 Hours a week for that. Hell the UPS package car drivers make more than that working 60 hours a week. When you put it all in perspective we in the ltl industry has slipped far behind their pay. We are the ones that have to have our class A license with doubles and hazmat endorsement as compared to a package car driver. I can tell you for a fact that 20 plus years ago we had pay parity with those drivers for the most part. This is a big problem for this industry(not xpo alone) that are pay was not what it once was in comparison to years ago. This is a major factor (not the only) as to why we have a driver shortage.

UPS (package) Feeder drivers make .80 +cents a mile 36.77 an hour when they are on the clock. Remember a $114,000 a year is great money but you are working 70 Hours a week for that. Hell the UPS package car drivers make more than that working 60 hours a week. When you put it all in perspective we in the ltl industry has slipped far behind their pay. We are the ones that have to have our class A license with doubles and hazmat endorsement as compared to a package car driver. I can tell you for a fact that 20 plus years ago we had pay parity with those drivers for the most part. This is a big problem for this industry(not xpo alone) that are pay was not what it once was in comparison to years ago. This is a major factor (not the only) as to why we have a driver shortage.
Oh and I forgot they don't pay a dime for there healthcare and have a company paid pension and matched 401 K. We have a ton of room for improvement for our compensation package.(the entire industry)

I agree, I don't see my money go as far as I did in the nineties. Insurance, groceries cost of just existing has really went up. I can kind of see why people will not work the minimum wage jobs because cost of transportation to and from , and eats don't leave much left. I hope that pay wars hit this industry . I would like my last decade to be a good one and help me reach my retirement goals , especially since Con-Job done their dirty deed with the pension.

Comparing LTL to package is like comparing apples to oranges....Package is whole different world...,,tons more $$$$$$

Comparing LTL to package is like comparing apples to oranges....Package is whole different world...,,tons more $$$$$$

The funny part is that UPS *has* an LTL freight company, and they don't make anywhere near what the feeders make. ( Of course they are all Teamsters, FWIW)

Maybe, and I'm just throwing this out there... again... maybe we are getting paid what an LTL freight driver is worth in the marketplace.

The funny part is that UPS *has* an LTL freight company, and they don't make anywhere near what the feeders make. ( Of course they are all Teamsters, FWIW)

Maybe, and I'm just throwing this out there... again... maybe we are getting paid what an LTL freight driver is worth in the marketplace.
But yet they still work here??? They all talk about other companies but yet stay here??
I know some package drivers. They work there asses off and most have bad knees and backs

Most of the people here are over paid and some us are under paid

But yet they still work here??? They all talk about other companies but yet stay here??
I know some package drivers. They work there asses off and most have bad knees and backs

Agreed. There is a reason those package guys don't make so much as eye contact when they rush through a customer. They literally have no time for anything.