Linehaul at xpo

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by Wildwilly, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Fly-by-night

Fly-by-night Only when you care to send the very best

8hrs on the dock is a hell of a lot better then 0hrs driving and sitting at home

Maltman likes this.
  2. Fly-by-night

I guess you never been to some of the XPO warehouses yet

3. prezars

prezars Active Member

I been running linehaul since I started in 94, we've gone thru a lot of changes but you were always expected to work the dock. We had turns, meets, layovers and reship ( we didn't call them FAC's back then). Reship drivers worked the dock the others got paid wait time kt127 if their trailers were not ready. My thought has always been, if you're not happy here you can leave. This company has provided me a great income ($114,000 in 2016), I'm home daily, weekends and holidays, when my parents died I got paid without having to use my PTO time. I've raised 5 children, have a 9.5 in the mountains where I'll retire
    I've invested a lot into my 401. It's not perfect here but it fits my needs. I don't mind the dock at all. Heck, most of the freight is on pallets now anyways. There's always gonna be disgruntled drivers on here, in my opinion they should seek employment somewhere else.

4. Polebender

Polebender polebender

Beg your pardon ...... been at OD 11years and still working the dock

the5tolls and Fly-by-night like this.
  5. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

And driving? If you are a driver are you linehaul or city/p&d ?

6. rangeman

rangeman Active Member

Key word!!! Suits my needs. I love it here , I love working the dock, and I cannot think of a better place to work, because it SUITS MY NEEDS

7. trucknfool

trucknfool Well-Known Member

I started in 93 , I would have never left If the old top Management had not wrecked the Company. I didn't mind working the dock. I do now with my current employer. I have found out that they don't have the best total compensation package as they boasted.

prezars likes this.
  8. sucker666

sucker666 Well-Known Member

UPS (package) Feeder drivers make .80 +cents a mile 36.77 an hour when they are on the clock. Remember a $114,000 a year is great money but you are working 70 Hours a week for that. Hell the UPS package car drivers make more than that working 60 hours a week. When you put it all in perspective we in the ltl industry has slipped far behind their pay. We are the ones that have to have our class A license with doubles and hazmat endorsement as compared to a package car driver. I can tell you for a fact that 20 plus years ago we had pay parity with those drivers for the most part. This is a big problem for this industry(not xpo alone) that are pay was not what it once was in comparison to years ago. This is a major factor (not the only) as to why we have a driver shortage.

9. sucker666

sucker666 Well-Known Member

Oh and I forgot they don't pay a dime for there healthcare and have a company paid pension and matched 401 K. We have a ton of room for improvement for our compensation package.(the entire industry)

troubleman84 and sportsman800 like this.
  10. trucknfool

trucknfool Well-Known Member

I agree, I don't see my money go as far as I did in the nineties. Insurance, groceries cost of just existing has really went up. I can kind of see why people will not work the minimum wage jobs because cost of transportation to and from , and eats don't leave much left. I hope that pay wars hit this industry . I would like my last decade to be a good one and help me reach my retirement goals , especially since Con-Job done their dirty deed with the pension.

dalesr and sportsman800 like this.
  11. Polebender

Polebender polebender

I'm a line haul driver . I go to a hub , work the dock for a couple hours and go back . Sound familiar ?

trucknfool likes this.
  12. sportsman800

sportsman800 Active Member

Have you applied anywhere else what
    A job were you drive a truck full time with no dock work is even better

13. sportsman800

No and im,not planning on,it

14. JstBlendinIN

JstBlendinIN Member

Comparing LTL to package is like comparing apples to oranges....Package is whole different world...,,tons more $$$$$$

15. Serene Gene

Serene Gene Well-Known Member

The funny part is that UPS *has* an LTL freight company, and they don't make anywhere near what the feeders make. ( Of course they are all Teamsters, FWIW)

Maybe, and I'm just throwing this out there... again... maybe we are getting paid what an LTL freight driver is worth in the marketplace.

16. Fly-by-night

But yet they still work here??? They all talk about other companies but yet stay here??
    I know some package drivers. They work there asses off and most have bad knees and backs

pltjack, DSR86 and the5tolls like this.
  17. sportsman800

Wow I'm speechless your such a wealth of knowledge

18. sportsman800

Most of the people here are over paid and some us are under paid

19. upnorth

upnorth Super Moderator Staff Member

If you feel your underpaid, do something about it. If you have a clean CDL, you can get hired anywhere.

troubleman84 likes this.
  20. DSR86

DSR86 Active Member

Agreed. There is a reason those package guys don't make so much as eye contact when they rush through a customer. They literally have no time for anything.