Estes | Linehaul??

dlance71

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey everyone, I just talked to my mgr and was informed that I would spend 2 weeks in the city before going on to linehaul. I don't have a major problem with that, he told me he can get me in the system fuel card and all that stuff before sending me out on linehaul. Did anyone else do this or I am being to paranoid.

He may just be short P+D drivers because of vacations right now. If he promised you linehaul then you should be ok. Just don't do a REAL good job on local work or they might think you like it.

If you don't trust your tm, call human resources and ask them what's your classification on your application. If they say, "p&d" that would pretty much tell the story if vaseline was used or not. He probably told you right though and like buzz said, "he needs help plus he probably wants to get your ez pass, sun pass and maybe a truck for you to call your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Buzz, unfortunately I spent a year and half in the city with Fedex natl. I was asked to take a P&D spot that no one wants in an area I know very well, I only turned down P&D due to 4 dollar pay cut I would take. I will keep you updated but he told me 2 weeks and I will start linehaul we will see.

Mildew I hope he is just in a bind and needs to clear the docks by months end, if he is shafting me into something I specifically told him I couldn't afford to take, I am not afraid to walk. We talked a lot before I finished the process so I am just gonna work the first 2 and see what happens. Thanks

I'm sure he's going to treat you right. It costs alot of money to hire someone. He might be planing on firing someone. Each terminal has a certain number of linehaul drivers and utility drivers they need to get the freight moved. I've never heard of someone doing city work before going linehaul but it wouldn't suprise me if they would do that now.

Thanks Mildew, I think he is concerned with sending me out with out being integrated in the system. I am very capable of doing both, but for now I need the money and the physical rest for my back.

Your check will big on linehaul, no doubt. It takes 3 years to max out but it goes by faster than you'll think.

I have made a couple of decisions as to how I can take this job without money being the main concern, I absolutely love driving a truck so this will be the first job I have had that didn't include hitting the dock or running a yard horse. I am impressed with the way this company is run and how they don't accumulate debt to grow. I hope to be here for a long time and maybe meet some of you out on the road thanks for all the help and advice. Stay safe out there.

Hey everyone, I just talked to my mgr and was informed that I would spend 2 weeks in the city before going on to linehaul. I don't have a major problem with that, he told me he can get me in the system fuel card and all that stuff before sending me out on linehaul. Did anyone else do this or I am being to paranoid.

I wonder if that's a new thing they r trying ? Localboy2, posted p&d and xtra board spot at york, that he was starting at, on another thread. Would not sweat it thou, just a good chance to get you used to how things will work in general at your home terminal, then when they cut you loose for the big road, you will have a pretty good idea how alot of other terminals work. Then when ever your t/m, runs short on local drivers, he can bring you back !! lol

rjjr, thanks for the encouraging words! The only reason I didn't take a p&d spot was cause I want the extra money for now. In long term I may want a city spot, but until my back is feeling better I will run the road, besides in June I am hoping to start looking for a house. I actually am looking forward to starting tomorrow.

If money is what you are after,then linehaul will be the spot for you. Just keep an open mind, a mile is a mile, doesn't matter where you go to, they are pretty decent as to to heading you home for the weekend, but keep in mind central preety much owns you through the week. Keep an eye on paperwork pertaining to haz-mat, if you are not good at haz-mat, ask questions, the only dumb question is the one not asked. Welcome aboard, and happy trails