XPO | Linehaul?

bentstrider83

TB Lurker
Credits
So I applied with XPO under their OTR/Dedicated application. I glossed over the LTL section on the website, but didn't find anything specifically stating line-haul positions. Is linehaul under the over-the-road section? Or is a promotional step from pickup and delivery?
I've got a few threads going under different companies here and I'm just trying to get as much feedback as possible in regards to linehaul positions. The foodgrade/milk hauling tanker thing is scraping the bottom and I need to get my dollar numbers back up soon.

So I applied with XPO under their OTR/Dedicated application. I glossed over the LTL section on the website, but didn't find anything specifically stating line-haul positions. Is linehaul under the over-the-road section? Or is a promotional step from pickup and delivery?
I've got a few threads going under different companies here and I'm just trying to get as much feedback as possible in regards to linehaul positions. The foodgrade/milk hauling tanker thing is scraping the bottom and I need to get my dollar numbers back up soon.

LTL XPO Logistics

Start here for what you want, not OTR.

So, if it's line-haul, it's typically listed, no?
We don't hire for line haul or city like other companies. We hire drivers and they are put where they are needed. When we do our job selections for the year, you may be able to select line haul for the year but you may not. You could be on line haul one year and get bumped off the next year by a driver with more seniority. If you want to be a linedriver no matter what apply with any other LTL carrier, not XPO.

We don't hire for line haul or city like other companies. We hire drivers and they are put where they are needed. When we do our job selections for the year, you may be able to select line haul for the year but you may not. You could be on line haul one year and get bumped off the next year by a driver with more seniority. If you want to be a linedriver no matter what apply with any other LTL carrier, not XPO.

Doing that as we speak. I got another phone interview with the Estes in San Antonio for linehaul. I might put in another app for ODFL in Commerce City again if things don't pan out down here. Just keeping all options on the table and having to make some sacrifices here and there to get the journey started. It was kind of a slap in the face at first when I began to seek out these linehaul positions. But after coming to terms with how this particular beast works, I've decided to just roll with it.

It took me six years before I could hold a linehaul spot. I could still get bumped off of line haul and back to P and D in theory on the next job selection. There are enough drivers with more seniority than me doing PnD that if they all came over there would not be a spot for me. I have 14 years service rank, it's stupid. It's one of the reasons we have a hard time getting new drivers in my opinion.

It took me six years before I could hold a linehaul spot. I could still get bumped off of line haul and back to P and D in theory on the next job selection. There are enough drivers with more seniority than me doing PnD that if they all came over there would not be a spot for me. I have 14 years service rank, it's stupid. It's one of the reasons we have a hard time getting new drivers in my opinion.
How would you propose to correct it ?

OK how about this we hire for either P&D or LH not just a driver that can be bounched around from days to nights. Now when a LH driver bids into the city he is at the bottom of the city board seniority list for the first year. Then next year when he bids city again then he falls into his correct seniority position and vice versa. Thus will stop the flip flopping from year to year and also if someone wants to switch they will deal with one year at the bottom.

OK how about this we hire for either P&D or LH not just a driver that can be bounched around from days to nights. Now when a LH driver bids into the city he is at the bottom of the city board seniority list for the first year. Then next year when he bids city again then he falls into his correct seniority position and vice versa. Thus will stop the flip flopping from year to year and also if someone wants to switch they will deal with one year at the bottom.
I like that idea, similar at FedX.

The choice to jump boards and hold seniority is why many stay here or choose to come here. Life changes and it's nice to be able to switch and hold seniority.
I don't know anyone that comes here because of that. I have known so many that I forgot their names that have left because of that.

I agree with Fly by Night except if you want to jump back and forth you go to the bottom and stay there until more drivers come in below you. Your company seniority means nothing when it comes to bidding, how long you have been on line or city does. That's how you fix it.

I don't know anyone that comes here because of that. I have known so many that I forgot their names that have left because of that.
We had one that told the TM if got force out on LH he was going to quit. Well bids came and he was forced.The Friday before the bid took effect at the end of his shift he changed out of his uniform and turned everything in and quit. On Monday he was working for the an LTL right down the street. Had other one get out of school 3 months before bids was forced out he ran one night and got some medical thing about working overnight. Now mind you that when hired they we told just like I was you will be in the city.

The choice to jump boards and hold seniority is why many stay here or choose to come here. Life changes and it's nice to be able to switch and hold seniority.

It the biggest reason I wanted to work for this company over others. The ability to switch as needed without penalty.

We had one that told the TM if got force out on LH he was going to quit. Well bids came and he was forced.The Friday before the bid took effect at the end of his shift he changed out of his uniform and turned everything in and quit. On Monday he was working for the an LTL right down the street. Had other one get out of school 3 months before bids was forced out he ran one night and got some medical thing about working overnight. Now mind you that when hired they we told just like I was you will be in the city.

The bottom line is that right now you can get a job any where. If they think they can force you to do something, they are wrong. We have had plenty of people quit over the silliest ::shit::. The new guys have zero respect for this place. The old guys have zero respect for this place. It's what most of our posts here are really all about. No one cares. There is no accountability. And it doesn't matter.

Previous manager changed bids to cater to threats of bottom people " if I have to go to linehaul , I will quit" - Magically , there was an extra city bid.

Previous manager changed bids to cater to threats of bottom people " if I have to go to linehaul , I will quit" - Magically , there was an extra city bid.
Man, the things people will complain about while they're still taking in a paycheck. Give me a consistent assignment that will make me a decent amount of money each week and I stay shut up.
Pay's been getting real dismal at the tanker outfit I'm at right now. The latest gossip trend on the Indian River front is that the terminal is trying to do away with shuttlers and have all the work spread out between the dairy loaders and the regional/long-haul people with sleeper cabs. Either do strictly one of those two things or leave, it seems.

Man, the things people will complain about while they're still taking in a paycheck. Give me a consistent assignment that will make me a decent amount of money each week and I stay shut up.
Pay's been getting real dismal at the tanker outfit I'm at right now. The latest gossip trend on the Indian River front is that the terminal is trying to do away with shuttlers and have all the work spread out between the dairy loaders and the regional/long-haul people with sleeper cabs. Either do strictly one of those two things or leave, it seems.
If your looking for a paycheck than this is a good place, at least from my own personal experience. I have done very well here and have supported my family by myself all these years. I never really cared when I started what I did, as long as I was working and earning. I have gotten spoiled over the years and I want to do what I want to do now. I don't want to work the city.

The bottom line is that right now you can get a job any where. If they think they can force you to do something, they are wrong. We have had plenty of people quit over the silliest :::shit:::. The new guys have zero respect for this place. The old guys have zero respect for this place. It's what most of our posts here are really all about. No one cares. There is no accountability. And it doesn't matter.
Whew!! Sounds like YRC all the time,H....

If your looking for a paycheck than this is a good place, at least from my own personal experience. I have done very well here and have supported my family by myself all these years. I never really cared when I started what I did, as long as I was working and earning. I have gotten spoiled over the years and I want to do what I want to do now. I don't want to work the city.

Guess I'll bug them tomorrow. I was also going to check back with Estes and Core-Mark back over in Albuquerque after speaking to them last week. Worse comes to worst, I might just see about doing the regional hauls with where I'm at right now until I get caught up on bills. The $800/mo pickup payment I ended up in due to a mix of errors isn't really helping things out much either.
Get those out of the way and then I could focus on going back to the "bare minimum".