FedEx Freight | Listen to the Anti Union Guys, PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hold on, let's settle down for just minute!

1) Without the figures on what FedEx is contributing CURRENTLY to our benefit package, we don't really know how much of an increase would be necessary to achieve parity with the union guys.

Agreed, and I acknowledge that fact before I had 222lifer's provided figures.

However, the claim is the current insurance and pension package absolutely suck. FedEx is also self-insured, right? So no additional margin built-in for the insurance company's overhead and profit. Fair to say FedEx isn't paying much (relatively speaking) for what you currently have now, but they are paying something. So, not all of those costs are an increase. But you can't have it both ways. Either it's a big difference and worth pursuing or it's not.

Even if FedEx is paying half for what you currently have vs. what the union guys are getting you still have erased ALL of their profits. Which is excluding the additional operating costs in decreased productivity, decreased flexibility, less PT, etc.

There is room to manuver. Heaven forbid those at the top take a thinner slice of the pie.

Yes, there is. Just not as much as many would like to think.

As to those at the top taking a thinner slice, that argument sounds like those folks wanting the wealthy to pay an even higher income tax percentage. Not stopping to do the math, learning that taxing the top 1% at 99% income tax still doesn't have the same impact as bringing everybody up to a 15% flat income tax.

Look at the "top" at FedEx. Cut all the Officers' pay in HALF and you've put $17.8MM back into the budget. Divide that by 35,000 employees at 2080 hours a year and you can't even afford a 25 cent and hour raise.

Yes, there is. Just not as much as many would like to think.

As to those at the top taking a thinner slice, that argument sounds like those folks wanting the wealthy to pay an even higher income tax percentage. Not stopping to do the math, learning that taxing the top 1% at 99% income tax still doesn't have the same impact as bringing everybody up to a 15% flat income tax.

Look at the "top" at FedEx. Cut all the Officers' pay in HALF and you've put $17.8MM back into the budget. Divide that by 35,000 employees at 2080 hours a year and you can't even afford a 25 cent and hour raise.
The pie has many sections including stock options, bonuses, lavish expense accounts, vacation retreats for the top brass. They could nake room if they wanted.

222Lifer,

It appears that you do not have any idea what fringe-benefits are taxable compensation to officers of a corporation and/or reportable to the SEC.

222Lifer,

It appears that you do not have any idea what fringe-benefits are taxable compensation to officers of a corporation and/or reportable to the SEC.
I certainly do, but I also understand that there is compensation that is not reported. Do you think every trucker is some Rube that has no first had knowledge of these practices I speak of? Don't insult their intelligence.

There is a difference between intelligence and knowledge and I wasn't insulting their intelligence. Only firing back at the one asking about the Arizona beachfront property I have for sale.

What FedEx Officers' compensation is not being reported?

Are you certain this quote can't be attributed to you?:

I was walking home one night and a guy hammering on a roof called me a paranoid little weirdo---in morse code.

There is a difference between intelligence and knowledge.

What FedEx Officers' compensation is not being reported?

Are you certain this quote can't be attributed to you?:

I was walking home one night and a guy hammering on a roof called me a paranoid little weirdo---in morse code.
Do they report cash contributions to offshore accounts? Do they report private meetings and exclusive vacations?

....I think I hear some hammering again....

Exclusive vacations and even tickets in the skybox are all taxable compensation. If the company is writing it off and the Officers are benefiting from it, it's getting reported.

I'm out for the day now....I have some private meetings to attend. ;)

Exclusive vacations and even tickets in the skybox are all taxable compensation. If the company is writing it off and the Officers are benefiting from it, it's getting reported.

See you later spin doctor.

Notice the intricate steps. The moon walk. The robot. No mention of those "private" accounts. It happens. It always has and will continue.

Tell Fred hello from Mr J Nuno

Would you be content if the terms reverted back to what they were when you hired on? Either relative to other non-Unions or inflation?

Absolutely YES. Those terms included no cost family insurance, all retirement dollars went into 401k,( not part pension, part 401k), free uniform (laundry) service, seniority that really meant something, even in the city. Seniority for routes, and truck assignments. Little or no slip-seating. Extremely people oriented work environment too...

Man, YES, sign me up today!

Really? As a driver and small business owner I assure you I see things differently.

If that's how you feel you should get an attorney or go to the labor board and show them the contract you signed when you were hired stating the agreement communicated between you and your employer. With any luck they (your employer) can take back anything they gave that went over and beyond what they originally agreed upon. You however then can charge your employer for any services you provided over and beyond what you had originally agreed to provide.

I would be curious to see who out performed their side of that bargain
There was no bargain, only take it or leave it. Well I took the job and they changed the deal.
I'm sure as a small business owner you don't need contracts. (bit of sarcasm ... incase you couldn't tell) Well I think that in this environment we live and work in today we all need contracts. Anyway what contract ? Do you mean my application for employment ? We were never offered any other type of contract. We were told that if we stayed on with fedex we would not lose our seniority and would be "grandfathered" and continue to receive our current benefits. Also that we would be enrolled in the pension plan and the only pension at that time was the old Viking plan. We were told that "basically people nothing will change but the name". Well so much for the that. Guess we should have asked for a contract, but you know they wouldn't do that because that would eliminate their ability to use the old subject to change at anytime. Anyway all the more reason to get a contract now.

There was no bargain, only take it or leave it. Well I took the job and they changed the deal.
I'm sure as a small business owner you don't need contracts. (bit of sarcasm ... incase you couldn't tell) Well I think that in this environment we live and work in today we all need contracts. Anyway what contract ? Do you mean my application for employment ? We were never offered any other type of contract. We were told that if we stayed on with fedex we would not lose our seniority and would be "grandfathered" and continue to receive our current benefits. Also that we would be enrolled in the pension plan and the only pension at that time was the old Viking plan. We were told that "basically people nothing will change but the name". Well so much for the that. Guess we should have asked for a contract, but you know they wouldn't do that because that would eliminate their ability to use the old subject to change at anytime. Anyway all the more reason to get a contract now.

I think we'd like to believe that they THOUGHT that would be true... I want to believe that things just turned out differently than planned. Impossible to prove otherwise.

The only part of the post that is true is : The Teamsters want to suck us dry!

So you're saying this part is false?
"Our value is measured by the price willing to be paid for our service. I see now that we are just not good enough to earn THAT kind of wage, or THAT kind of insurance, or THAT kind of retiree health insurance, or THAT kind of pension, or have THOSE kind of rules where seniority matters.

NOPE, not a chance
."

Please explain...

So you're saying this part is false?
"Our value is measured by the price willing to be paid for our service. I see now that we are just not good enough to earn THAT kind of wage, or THAT kind of insurance, or THAT kind of retiree health insurance, or THAT kind of pension, or have THOSE kind of rules where seniority matters.

NOPE, not a chance
."

Please explain...
Let's start with seniority first. Fedex drivers bid by seniority on road runs, start times, tractors, vacation and so on. Looks like seniority matters to any logical person. On to wages. The only carrier making more at the moment is UPSF as most all of the others such as YRC, ABF, Holland etc. have taken paycuts or as the teamsters like to say "concessions". And even UPSF is locked in to 50 cent raises for the next 4 years. In the meanwhile we should expect larger raises due to the competition for drivers as there is a shortage of qualified ones. As to the pension I much prefer the safety of our model of a 401k and seperate pension to the unions going broke Ponzi scheme. The insurance issue has been exacerbated by Obamacares new law, and is an area the company should improve. I believe that Fedex has heard our voices and will do the right thing. The demise of Mr. Logue and Mr. Cherry as well as the scorecard are a great start. A corrupt 3rd party like the teamsters is "Not" the answer.

City Drivers no longer bid routes, thank you. Why are we not afforded that same luxury? ONLY start times and Vacations.

Wages? You conveniently left off Conway and Old Dominion who both make more than FXFE, in my area, and others.

Pension? We can go back and forth on the pros and cons of each. I prefer not to mix 401k figures with Pension figures. Our 401k seems fair and on par with most, and much appreciated. As far as our pension, at 65 (12 years away), after 35 years of continuous employment (about 20 in the plan), I can expect about $410/mo (in current dollars). Compared to similar situation at any Teamster represented carrier, there is NO comparison. Even if theirs is cut the maximum allowed by the new law, it's still double ours. That means 100% better, in case you don't have a calculator handy. Note those pensions are guaranteed by the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.