XPO | Little Stuff...

Here some Pics. If the number system holds true then we know there is atleast 227 of these dollies around

tF9YyOA.jpg

PMmqGvk.jpg
What's up with the new dollies being chained up and placed out of service?

All defective.
Are they Road Systems (Xpo Manufacturing) made ? or did they buy from another manufacture ? Good thing they found out before someone got hurt. We had 4 older ones this year that had major structural problems from frame rot to stress cracks . Check those dollys.

Are they Road Systems (Xpo Manufacturing) made ? or did they buy from another manufacture ? Good thing they found out before someone got hurt. We had 4 older ones this year that had major structural problems from frame rot to stress cracks . Check those dollys.
I have not seen one. They have 7 bolts holding the two halves of the dolly together, and apparently they are breaking under load.

I have not seen one. They have 7 bolts holding the two halves of the dolly together, and apparently they are breaking under load.
I have heard they cannot be welded easily (in place of the bolts) because they are Galvanized.

When welding galvanized steel, a respirator is required so that the zinc oxide fumes from the galvanizing are not inhaled. Inhalation of zinc oxide fumes can cause metal fume fever. This acute overexposure to zinc oxide through the respiratory system causes flu like symptoms that can be severe. Chronic overexposure to zinc oxide can result in death. It is also wise to weld in a well ventilated area, even when using a respirator.

Welding galvanized steel can pose problems other than just health risks. The zinc coating found on galvanized steels can compromise the weld. The coating makes penetration more difficult and can cause a weld to have inclusions and porosity. Lack of fusion at the toes of the weld is also common.

- MetalSupermarkets.com

This is all speculation and I hope I am wrong because this would be an enormous waste of money to have to scrap these dollies.

I have heard they cannot be welded easily (in place of the bolts) because they are Galvanized.

When welding galvanized steel, a respirator is required so that the zinc oxide fumes from the galvanizing are not inhaled. Inhalation of zinc oxide fumes can cause metal fume fever. This acute overexposure to zinc oxide through the respiratory system causes flu like symptoms that can be severe. Chronic overexposure to zinc oxide can result in death. It is also wise to weld in a well ventilated area, even when using a respirator.

Welding galvanized steel can pose problems other than just health risks. The zinc coating found on galvanized steels can compromise the weld. The coating makes penetration more difficult and can cause a weld to have inclusions and porosity. Lack of fusion at the toes of the weld is also common.

- MetalSupermarkets.com

This is all speculation and I hope I am wrong because this would be an enormous waste of money to have to scrap these dollies.

That isn't speculation at all. Welding galvanized is not a good thing. And fudging welds into a space designed for bolts will go poorly also. It's probably got a lot to do with why the old dollies weren't made that way.

Wow. Company is keeping hush , hush about it like it was a way raise or something.
Just like everything else. Shows you what they think of us. They will never have a great company until they figure this out . I guess after 500 takeovers you become devoid of things when enriching yourself becomes job one.

Where is that Tony Brooks guy? With all of the great quarterly and yearly reports you would think he would be strutting around soaking up the praise.

You don't think there's something up that requires his undivided attention do you?

Where is that Tony Brooks guy? With all of the great quarterly and yearly reports you would think he would be strutting around soaking up the praise.

You don't think there's something up that requires his undivided attention do you?
Never have we had a president that has been so quiet. Even in the quarterly updates he never says anything of substance!

- MetalSupermarkets.com

Why not galvanize them after they are welded?

Why not galvanize them after they are welded?
I can't say for sure about the questionable dollies , but metal that is Galvanized is covered with a zinc coating that prevents rust. If the dollies are Galvanized it wouldn't be easy to remove the coating , then correctly weld them , then re - Galvanize the completed unit.

Fixing these issues would be time consuming ( COSTLY ) The whole reason that the problem exists is from trying to do things the cheap way , I'm guessing.

I can't say for sure about the questionable dollies , but metal that is Galvanized is covered with a zinc coating that prevents rust. If the dollies are Galvanized it wouldn't be easy to remove the coating , then correctly weld them , then re - Galvanize the completed unit.

Fixing these issues would be time consuming ( COSTLY ) The whole reason that the problem exists is from trying to do things the cheap way , I'm guessing.
Funny how almost everything they do on the cheap cost them twice as much in the long run

I mean when they are first built, if you weld them after the fact there is a coating you can use