XPO | Little Stuff...

I've heard that linehaul drivers regularly go into log violation when it's time to take lunch at night. I haven't had a chance to talk to one and see if that's what is happening.

If this is the case ( I've seen emails from the safety guy warning not to go into violation ) the FOS must be fixing linehaul logs EVERYDAY.
How is that possible? You take your 1/2 before you leave the fac.

How is that possible? You take your 1/2 before you leave the fac.
You are supposed to. From what I've been told , they do that , but after eight hours.

In a related point , what ( if any ) are the consequences for repeated violations? If it's in the employee handbook , apologies , I haven't checked it recently.

You are supposed to. From what I've been told , they do that , but after eight hours.

In a related point , what ( if any ) are the consequences for repeated violations? If it's in the employee handbook , apologies , I haven't checked it recently.
I almost always take my break after I hook my set. It is for the most part after my 8 hours is up. I haven’t been talked to about it. I would take it earlier but I am the only driver from my barn there so it would not help cause everything would be docked while I’m on lunch. The Fed say you can not drive after your 8th hour till you have taken your 30 min break. It’s only the company that wants your lunch taken by your 8th hour.

I almost always take my break after I hook my set. It is for the most part after my 8 hours is up. I haven’t been talked to about it. I would take it earlier but I am the only driver from my barn there so it would not help cause everything would be docked while I’m on lunch. The Fed say you can not drive after your 8th hour till you have taken your 30 min break. It’s only the company that wants your lunch taken by your 8th hour.
Plenty of drivers take their break after they hook. Often because they don’t want to lose the half hour of dock time. I do understand your reasoning so you don’t come back to a dock full of freight. I think the issue people have is not logging out correctly on the handheld or vnomics. I had an issue a couple times early on when the vnomics said I hadn’t taken my break when I had. Now I log out in my handheld only, usually after I break my set at the FAC.

Plenty of drivers take their break after they hook. Often because they don’t want to lose the half hour of dock time. I do understand your reasoning so you don’t come back to a dock full of freight. I think the issue people have is not logging out correctly on the handheld or vnomics. I had an issue a couple times early on when the vnomics said I hadn’t taken my break when I had. Now I log out in my handheld only, usually after I break my set at the FAC.
I’ve seen guys have issues. I do the same. Log off duty on the vnomics only. I don’t do it on the handheld. There a disconnect between the two. Use one and your fine. Nothing illegal about going over your 8 before your 30, as long as your not driving.

New policy from up top seems to be not well thought out. It will last as long as last policy change of not picking up uncrated freight ( about a week )

Pick-ups take priority over deliveries.

Okay.

What if your trailer is full of freight you are supposed to deliver?

New policy from up top seems to be not well thought out. It will last as long as last policy change of not picking up uncrated freight ( about a week )

Pick-ups take priority over deliveries.

Okay.

What if your trailer is full of freight you are supposed to deliver?
When I saw the first posted email about not picking up uncrated machinery, I was happy and said about time! Then when I saw the second one rescinding it, I said for **** sakes. Squeaky wheels again. All my city guys write ship at own risk on the bills.

It's amazing how some people will believe anything. Guy has been flipping companies his entire life. Different industries. Same play book. Same results. But he's still learning. Yeah. Right.
Yup. And that's what you all fail to understand. He's in this business to make it attractive enough to sell to someone else at a huge profit. You all are owned by an investment company! He'll slice and dice and keep expenditures down to the point where XPO looks attractive to a buyer who is actually in the shipping business.

Yup. And that's what you all fail to understand. He's in this business to make it attractive enough to sell to someone else at a huge profit. You all are owned by an investment company! He'll slice and dice and keep expenditures down to the point where XPO looks attractive to a buyer who is actually in the shipping business.
We fully understand.

If you are at a terminal with one FOS dispatching , is it still company policy that the dispatcher doesn't leave until all of the drivers make it back to the terminal?

Was this ever the policy? Or did I imagine this?

If you are at a terminal with one FOS dispatching , is it still company policy that the dispatcher doesn't leave until all of the drivers make it back to the terminal?

Was this ever the policy? Or did I imagine this?
What about early/late appointment freight? I was leaving a via point heading to a FAC one night, nobody else there. In comes a city driver to make a late (probably 10:30-11:00 at night) delivery. Are you talking outbound FOS here?

I guess it depends on how your terminal is set up , but I'm pointing at the peddle drivers not volumes , appointments , and swaps.

In the past the dispatcher made sure P&D drivers made it back before they lefr for the night ( in my neck of the woods )

I guess it depends on how your terminal is set up , but I'm pointing at the peddle drivers not volumes , appointments , and swaps.

In the past the dispatcher made sure P&D drivers made it back before they lefr for the night ( in my neck of the woods )
So yes, our dispatcher did stay until all pedal drivers were back. For a short time. Our last drivers return at 8:00 or later, when the outbound is (or should be) wrapping up. So no. Our dispatcher is long gone by then. Is that more of what you are asking?

The dispatcher should at least stay until all peddle drivers are on return trip. So outbound doesn’t have to deal with call of I’m done what am I doing now. Also
at my barn we had a dispatcher physical leave at 1600 but would have his computer off by 1500.

I’ve seen guys have issues. I do the same. Log off duty on the vnomics only. I don’t do it on the handheld. There a disconnect between the two. Use one and your fine. Nothing illegal about going over your 8 before your 30, as long as your not driving.
If you log out of the vnomics you can go off duty on the handheld and then log into the vnomics. The vnomics will show you off duty and when the count down clock hits zero you can drive. On the vnomics you only need to take 30mins on the HH you must take 31 due to the disconnect between the systems

The dispatcher should at least stay until all peddle drivers are on return trip. So outbound doesn’t have to deal with call of I’m done what am I doing now. Also
at my barn we had a dispatcher physical leave at 1600 but would have his computer off by 1500.
we have one that's physical there at 0700 but his brain is off all day. city guys are miss 10+ p/u a day