Local 523 contract ratified

I've been on both sides... Let me share:

The last company I worked for (hauling lumber for the last 12 years) was union when I started there. The benefits package was a good one, the pay and raises were contracted, and we had the ability to file a grievance if need be. Due to people really not giving a crap about their future, we had low turnouts for votes and ended up with the union being voted out after a few years. People felt like it was just costing them money out of their pockets, and they believed the company when they said that we wouldn't lose anything. We did, we went years (over 5) without raises, we lost our 401K match, and our healthcare went up over 100%!!

People should wake up, and see that the union is there for US!
I remember you telling me about that, thats just crazy!

I agree with grocerythrower I wish we had the teamsters or at least a union in central pa. you are always worried if you did something wrong and are going to lose your job. perfect example of no union contract we got NO raise this year

Wiggletrain, that all happened because the boss man just loves you guys. I am sure some coworkers felt that way before the screwing began. I work with some having that attitude and we are union.

Funny thing is, the drivers there got a raise across the board just after I left: after no raises in 5 years, all the other things that were lost and the raise in healthcare premiums, their raise was 20 cents.

Yep. 20 cents. that's a 4 cent a year rise to make up for the 5 years of getting hosed...

Hmmmm... wonder why they still aven't been able to fill my position there... :duh: