TForce | Local Suppliment!!!!

read the contract it says that shiny wheels can not come into your yard. violates seniority and your right to work

Article 44.
Subcontracting.

The Employer may subcontract work in order to meet service commitments if it does not
possess the facility, equipment or personnel to perform such work. The Employer may
continue its practice regarding runs that do not have loads returning to the home domicile or
its practice (including pay equivalency) concerning the reassignment of Company drivers to
cover peak periods. However, if sufficient freight is generated in the future to provide loads
returning to the home domicile, the run shall be performed by members of the bargaining​
unit.

Need we say more?

Article 44 "Subcontracting"
But it's a catch 22, it all reads great until you get to the last couple of sentances. I read it as basically they could sub-contract only if there is no freight returning to home demicile.

The first part of the second paragraph DOES say company can subcontract work if it DOES NOT have service, equipment, facility or personel to do the work.

You are correct sir, but keep in mind, this article is in referance to both "Local" and "Road" alike, during the day we have contractors doing city work and at night contracted road positions as well.

If said contractor pulling freight up to your terminal, pulls into a terminal 30 miles away after delivery to your terminal ,to take an outbound load back to it's domicile, and can be proven, this constitutes argument for bargaining agreement position. And the same can be argued for city.

OOOPPPPS ,I meant "LOCAL CARTAGE".:1036316054:

in my many years of working at what is nicely called the "o", i have leanred to use thier computer system. they are getting around the contract by not going back and forth between two terminals. instead they pull frieght out of one terminal (A) go to anouther drop thier load (B) bob-tail 30 miles away to a different terminal(C) and pick up a load then drive to the original (A) terminal. thus not violating the contract..
i would think if the Company was iinterested in keeping work for there employees they would see this and assign a driver to from terminal (B) to (C) and shuttle frieght back so a over-the-road driver can go from (a) to (c). but i guess its not in the companies interest. just my opinion

in my many years of working at what is nicely called the "o", i have leanred to use thier computer system. they are getting around the contract by not going back and forth between two terminals. instead they pull frieght out of one terminal (A) go to anouther drop thier load (B) bob-tail 30 miles away to a different terminal(C) and pick up a load then drive to the original (A) terminal. thus not violating the contract..
i would think if the Company was iinterested in keeping work for there employees they would see this and assign a driver to from terminal (B) to (C) and shuttle frieght back so a over-the-road driver can go from (a) to (c). but i guess its not in the companies interest. just my opinion
We need a percentage in the contract of how many contractors can be used. You are correct it is UPS interest to use contractors at a lesser rate of pay than its own employees. What greedy SOB"S!!! We need to get this fixed.

We need a percentage in the contract of how many contractors can be used. You are correct it is UPS interest to use contractors at a lesser rate of pay than its own employees. What greedy SOB"S!!! We need to get this fixed.

Ok how about this percentage. If all of upgf's drivers are working, meaning none are on call or laid off, 40 hours a week.Then they can allow independent contractors to pull frieght out of the terminals, not untill then.

But then again i remember reading that somewhere. Where was that???? hhhmmmmm :ranting2:

That article also said the company can continue it's current practice regarding runs that return empty.

That current practice was cut the run and put it on a contractor.

Why do you think there was such a push to get this contract signed so fast it was a win for the company and the union. And the employees were left holding the bag.

..I still contend that they can only sub-contract when we cant move the freight...now that portion about two way load movement merely means the establishment of a schedule run between those two domiciles..there is no difference between a wild turn guy meeting in the middle and doing a milk run in his return...so it can be argued that we do have capacity to move the freight..

The Employer may subcontract work in order to meet service commitments
if it does not possess the facility, equipment or personnel
to perform such work. The Employer may continue its practice
regarding runs that do not have loads returning to the home domicile
or its practice (including pay equivalency) concerning the reassignment
of Company drivers to cover peak periods. However, if
sufficient freight is generated in the future to provide loads returning
to the home domicile, the run shall be performed by members
of the bargaining unit. ..a scheduled run...

..this will have to be grieved to is final determination in a National Panel ..probably to a arbitrator...and yes a slow and tedious process...years....

Ok how about this percentage. If all of upgf's drivers are working, meaning none are on call or laid off, 40 hours a week.Then they can allow independent contractors to pull frieght out of the terminals, not untill then.

But then again i remember reading that somewhere. Where was that???? hhhmmmmm :ranting2:
I agree that if everyone is not working there is no way there should be contractors moving OUR freight. But there is something in the contract or past practice about empty miles, this is why we need a percentage. WE, UPS FREIGHT EMPLOYEES need to be doing OUR work!

ARTICLE 44
SUBCONTRACTING​
For the purpose of preserving work and job opportunities for the
employees covered by this Agreement, the Employer agrees that no
work or services of the kind, nature or type, and including new
operations or buildings, covered by, presently performed, or hereafter
assigned to the collective bargaining unit will be subcontracted,
transferred, leased, assigned or conveyed in whole or in part to
any other plant, person or non-unit employees, unless otherwise
provided in this Agreement. The Employer may not subcontract
work in any classification for the purpose of avoiding overtime, or
to avoid filling existing, or creating additional bargaining unit positions.

The Employer may not subcontract work in any classification
if any employee who normally performs such work is on layoff........!

of the bargaining unit.

Dom thats extremely clear,imhho,sub-contractors as well as TL/SSD,cant not pull loads out of a terminal if there are rddrs laid off... period ....now one can argue to their hearts content...but thats the language...are they doing it..if so I truly hope someone is filing on it ..it an obvious run around and back pay should be filed on.....

ARTICLE 44
SUBCONTRACTING​

if any employee who normally performs such work is on layoff........!

of the bargaining unit.

Dom thats extremely clear,imhho,sub-contractors as well as TL/SSD,cant not pull loads out of a terminal if there are rddrs laid off... period ....now one can argue to their hearts content...but thats the language...are they doing it..if so I truly hope someone is filing on it ..it an obvious run around and back pay should be filed on.....
You are correct and if this article is being violated it does need to be filed on and the practice has to stop.

but here is the non so clear part.

Where is "laid off" defined at? Is laid off sitting at home not working? Is laid off not performing your normal job.

Remember a road driver can be worked in any classification.

The company calls a layoff you sitting at home not working.

but here is the non so clear part.

Where is "laid off" defined at? Is laid off sitting at home not working? Is laid off not performing your normal job.

Remember a road driver can be worked in any classification.

The company calls a layoff you sitting at home not working.

...yup you nailed it and thats exactly what is going on...I still contend a contractor can not move freight if there is a rddr available...

ARTICLE 44
SUBCONTRACTING

if any employee who normally performs such work is on layoff.

..get the numbers my friends..you have guys sitting at home getting the shaft...​