TForce | Local Union Organizing

You are correct that this is not the industry standard. Our local has told us this. But they also told us that New England has done this in the past. So I guess we may end up voteing on this issue. The diad thing, Again you are correct. I have been a road driver for 25 years. You hand me one of those things and I would be looking for pac man.

A trained monkey can run a diad, a cell phone is more sophisticated.:smilie_132:

Our local has told us that senority would fall under work rules and that we will be able to negotiate for what we want. At our barn their are some who want senority to be "a year and a day", meaning you could change classification and go to the bottom of the board for a year and a day and then move into your senority slot in that class. Their are some you want to keep seperate boards for each job class and if you switch class you go to the bottom of the board. This is something each barn will have to decide how they want to handle it.

Our local has told us that senority would fall under work rules and that we will be able to negotiate for what we want. At our barn their are some who want senority to be "a year and a day", meaning you could change classification and go to the bottom of the board for a year and a day and then move into your senority slot in that class. Their are some you want to keep seperate boards for each job class and if you switch class you go to the bottom of the board. This is something each barn will have to decide how they want to handle it.

Why would an employee have to suffer for one whole year if they were to change classifications at bid time? I just don't understand the going to the bottom part of it. Its almost like being punished for changing classifications.

Why would an employee have to suffer for one whole year if they were to change classifications at bid time? I just don't understand the going to the bottom part of it. Its almost like being punished for changing classifications.

They are suffering from what is being called, TeamsterwannabebutwithOrules. This affliction is mostly found in new hires with little or no union experience. Given priveledges and attaboys by the mismanagement, these individules feel it is there God given right to continue in their "O" ways, but of coarse with union protection.

That is garbage, seniority rules with a bid once a year. People will have to get used to the fact that others started before they did.

Besides when it comes time for a layoff, the people at the bottom of the main seniority list no matter if they work city , dock, road, will be the first to be laid off anyway.

I think the days of taking a day off so someone else can work will be over with shortly. These people of low seniority will be laid off day to day if there is no work.

So what exactly is one gaining by having 40 different lists. When it comes time for layoff overall seniority rules.

becuase the layoff would be in that category

OK, I even try to show you something that is suppose to work here under our current rules.

It's been very icy and snowy up here and the freight levels have been slow. They laid off a bunch of road guys on night. The next day, newbies peddle drivers are on their way to the hub to bring down loads and pick up loads. Myself and other senior peddle drivers where amazed at the lack of following procedure.

To start, the road drivers affected have the right to bump into the city if there is no work. And if they refuse the work, the top eligible senior driver is to be asked if they want to run the "extra" road work for the day.

The bottom line here is that the road drivers were not asked if they wanted to run the next day. The top senior city drivers weren't asked if they wanted to run those loads, and the lowly newbies end up with new road tractors and a very healthy days pay.

ONE SENIORITY LIST...........PERIOD!!!!

Look at it this way....even us (employees) have thought of 10 different versions of how it should be and still nobody is saying......YOU NAILED IT THATS PERFECT! Difficult issue and as for an employee one of the most important, pending how flexible these local/regional supplements are going to be will determine a standard for UPS Freights contract around the country. I firmly believe they negoitiated the Indy contract for a year made it perfectly align with parcels for futre expiration dates, etc....the Indy contract is the base contract and 99% of it will be the contract we all get with a few tweaks per region on certain issues. Can it be tweaked....sure it can, can the NMFA be better.....sure it can, ask anyone who labors under any contract and they will tell you that. But we have a great starting point with alot of bargaining power to come in 2013 with from what I can see all the 12,600 of drivers/dock, etc. jumping on board very quickly with the CCA. I look for the mechanics and office to be next and add all of our numbers that we will have after we grow like we WILL to parcels numbers and we expire at the same time and date.....BINGO put the contracts together and lets have a UPS MASTER contract for their two biggest divisions. By that time maybe we can get the free insurance and so on....but as for the seniority issue I hope someone bargains for a sweet deal that can be used as a spring board for the rest of the country but remember if you ask for something most of the time they (company) as for something in return! Plus like I said before the way we do it now is the say way parcel does it under their contract and they have been working on that contract for years. But as our LORD say.....You have not because YOU ask not! LETS GO FOR ALL WE CAN GET, BUT AT LEAST NOW WE HAVE SOMETHING!:1036316054:

Look at it this way....even us (employees) have thought of 10 different versions of how it should be and still nobody is saying......YOU NAILED IT THATS PERFECT! Difficult issue and as for an employee one of the most important, pending how flexible these local/regional supplements are going to be will determine a standard for UPS Freights contract around the country. I firmly believe they negoitiated the Indy contract for a year made it perfectly align with parcels for futre expiration dates, etc....the Indy contract is the base contract and 99% of it will be the contract we all get with a few tweaks per region on certain issues. Can it be tweaked....sure it can, can the NMFA be better.....sure it can, ask anyone who labors under any contract and they will tell you that. But we have a great starting point with alot of bargaining power to come in 2013 with from what I can see all the 12,600 of drivers/dock, etc. jumping on board very quickly with the CCA. I look for the mechanics and office to be next and add all of our numbers that we will have after we grow like we WILL to parcels numbers and we expire at the same time and date.....BINGO put the contracts together and lets have a UPS MASTER contract for their two biggest divisions. By that time maybe we can get the free insurance and so on....but as for the seniority issue I hope someone bargains for a sweet deal that can be used as a spring board for the rest of the country but remember if you ask for something most of the time they (company) as for something in return! Plus like I said before the way we do it now is the say way parcel does it under their contract and they have been working on that contract for years. But as our LORD say.....You have not because YOU ask not! LETS GO FOR ALL WE CAN GET, BUT AT LEAST NOW WE HAVE SOMETHING!:1036316054:
Great post! :1036316054:

we have already had better than the Indy contract for years they want to give concessions to ups on your back...if they want you in the union so bad it only benefits them...the union in reno for years failed to represent us and allowed us to be screwed with both our contract and on an individual basis.... we as teamters fought off two decert attempts and had we lost the last one their would be no union at upsf....just because you have a contract does not mean it is over you will fight every day for that contract and the company will abuse your contact and you every day if you let them.....are you prepared for the fight do you have the guts to stand up to them? good luck you are going to need it.

Buster
It is not really being punished. It is a way for the company to keep people from jumping all over the place and keeping svc on a consistent level.
I have worked in Teamster barns where this is contractual.
This does 2 things in addition to the first one I mentioned.
It allows the employee to exercise his/ her senority by switching job classifications, and it makes those same employees think about how important it is to them to change. Is it worth going to the bottom for a year and a day? .
Aagin this is real life experience and not speculation on what the intentions of the policies,the company,or people utilizing them are :smilie_132:
Take Care
Be Safe

Buster
It is not really being punished. It is a way for the company to keep people from jumping all over the place and keeping svc on a consistent level.
I have worked in Teamster barns where this is contractual.
This does 2 things in addition to the first one I mentioned.
It allows the employee to exercise his/ her senority by switching job classifications, and it makes those same employees think about how important it is to them to change. Is it worth going to the bottom for a year and a day? .
Aagin this is real life experience and not speculation on what the intentions of the policies,the company,or people utilizing them are :smilie_132:
Take Care
Be Safe

I have no Interest in ever changing classifications. I have been on the road for 25 years with the company. I am senior man out of all classifications at my barn. I can't help but wonder that what if some day there is a tragic need for me to work a day time shift. (anyone in my position) And it was the slow season. I with my 25 years would sit home and beg to work while drivers with 6 months to a year would work before me. I just have a real hard time with the 25 years vs 1 year and I sit home. It would not be fair. I think having two or three lists is fine, The whole barn bids once per year and company hire date seniority takes the bid in any classification. If you choose to change classifications before bid, you go to the bottom until next bid. This seems fair to me.

I have a whole long list of questions and concerns of drivers. We will see what we can change in our contract. We start negotiating next week.:1036316054:

I have a whole long list of questions and concerns of drivers. We will see what we can change in our contract. We start negotiating next week.:1036316054:

Sound great Buster...remember you are lead off batter for the rest of us and I feel you will swing with all your might! God bless and God speed! And remember....WE ARE BEHIND YOU 110% :1036316054:

I have no Interest in ever changing classifications. I have been on the road for 25 years with the company. I am senior man out of all classifications at my barn. I can't help but wonder that what if some day there is a tragic need for me to work a day time shift. (anyone in my position) And it was the slow season. I with my 25 years would sit home and beg to work while drivers with 6 months to a year would work before me. I just have a real hard time with the 25 years vs 1 year and I sit home. It would not be fair. I think having two or three lists is fine, The whole barn bids once per year and company hire date seniority takes the bid in any classification. If you choose to change classifications before bid, you go to the bottom until next bid. This seems fair to me.

So in this scenario, the "tragic reason" someone for THEIR benefit should be allowed to again "willy nilly" be able to switch classifications. then the person that is at the bottom of that classification would suffer from both sides. The senior employees in his/her classification, as well as the senior employees in that location.
Well shoot lets just let employees transfer from terminal to terminal within the system and carry their senority with them in that scenario as well, after all they have earned that right in your opinion because they have been in the company service, and have earned company senority for all those years, correct?
I'm sure that scenario looks real good to a 20 year employee from Milwaukee that has already purchased land in Scottsdale or Tampa and plans to retire there. They could work there last 5 or so yrs there while getting their retirement home set up.
I'm sorry but you make your choice of what type of work you want to do when you hire in. Sometime I realize it is because of what is available as far as opportunities. That alone is a choice you can choose not to do that.
As far as employees that have obtained CDL"s while in employment with a company, they have benefitted and bettered theirselves and their families by doing so. and as time goes by just as it has for all of us they will be able to move up in their classification as opportunities present themselves.
I am Rocketmann and I approve this message!!!!:smilie_132:
Take care
Be safe

That stands to reason,any driver can work the dock.
But dock without a CDL can't drive.
The LTL companies now want people that can do everything.
just being a dock worker is to limiting,and not that valuable to the companies they are working for.
When a new hire comes on board with a CDL they will have a job long after any dock worker without a CDL no matter how many years they have with their company.

They are trying to create a surplus of CDL drivers. Once the do that they will start holding our feet to the fire. It will become a dog eat dog world.

They are trying to create a surplus of CDL drivers. Once the do that they will start holding our feet to the fire. It will become a dog eat dog world.

My tm will never put a dock cdl guy out in the street unless the driver he is replacing is out. His #'s suffer too much!:hysterical:

your thinking about future situations but using tactics used in the past. #'s that were important in the past will be useless in the future.

So in this scenario, the "tragic reason" someone for THEIR benefit should be allowed to again "willy nilly" be able to switch classifications. then the person that is at the bottom of that classification would suffer from both sides. The senior employees in his/her classification, as well as the senior employees in that location.
Well shoot lets just let employees transfer from terminal to terminal within the system and carry their senority with them in that scenario as well, after all they have earned that right in your opinion because they have been in the company service, and have earned company senority for all those years, correct?
I'm sure that scenario looks real good to a 20 year employee from Milwaukee that has already purchased land in Scottsdale or Tampa and plans to retire there. They could work there last 5 or so yrs there while getting their retirement home set up.
I'm sorry but you make your choice of what type of work you want to do when you hire in. Sometime I realize it is because of what is available as far as opportunities. That alone is a choice you can choose not to do that.
As far as employees that have obtained CDL"s while in employment with a company, they have benefitted and bettered theirselves and their families by doing so. and as time goes by just as it has for all of us they will be able to move up in their classification as opportunities present themselves.
I am Rocketmann and I approve this message!!!!:smilie_132:
Take care
Be safe

I am saying ONLY at bid time all employee's P&D and Road drivers should be able to use there seniority to bid into what ever classification they choose. Its pretty simple. My example of a tragic reason was just that an example. Maybe I will get tired of running the road. I have been running the road for 25 years with this company. Maybe a city driver has been running the city for 25 years and is ready for a change, Why should he go to the bottom. Same company, Same terminal. If we are allowed to bid into any classification there needs to be no reason. Here in New England this has been done with the teamsters. I have not mentioned anything about transfers, But since you brought it up, Thats another story and under teamster contracts, Transfers go to the bottom unless it was a forced transfer. And we will try to negotiate this into the contract. We started this New England organizing years ago, WHY?? Because of major seniority issues. Not to mention, same work rules, overtime, and delay pay. We will fight to get One list on seniorit bidding.:1036316054: