long haul or short haul

depends on the company that hires you.

seriously.

if you are a student, as i said in another thread, i think you are, just get a job with whomever hires YOU right out of school and get your experience.

chances are that no matter the job you first go to, you will not stay there very long before you seek out another, after you have done at the very minimum of 6 months.

long haul or these days known as OTR (over the road), some companies keep you away from home 1,2,5, 6 weeks at a time, but you "should" be able to get your rest.

doing "short haul" or regional/local, you may do an over night run, where you may be away from the house 1 or 3 nights, maybe even the entire week, then home for each weekend.....with this type of job, you may not be able to get your proper rest.

however, a "weekend" for truckers is any 2 DAYS OFF together...could be a Monday/Tuesday...Thursday/Friday.....Wednesday/Thursday....get it..???? not necessarily a Saturday/Sunday...!!!

many jobs that hire students have certain restrictions that they go by when hiring students. whether or not you even qualify is yet to be seen.

best to go OTR first, get your time in, then seek out another job in 6 months after that.

I don't care what pays better, give me the open road, in a big ol Penisbilt, with a huge radidio, a big sleeper to fit fat lot lizzards in and a months supply of gogo supplies!
Coast to coast, no sleep, .12 cent a mile, a big shiny reefer box full of strawberries and I'm a big ol happy feller!

I left the sleeper. Now a One stack Mack with a window in da back!!!

Luvin it. Just miss the vibrating bed from the motor running. Motels don't have the magic fingers anymore

BTW Know why the bulldog faces the way it does??

So one ******* can stare at another

Last edited by a moderator:
I left the sleeper. Now a One stack Mack with a window in da back!!!

Luvin it. Just miss the vibrating bed from the motor running. Motels don't have the magic fingers anymore

yes they still do...!!

Veronica, Julie, Ginny, Debbie.........

you did mean.."manual magic fingers"...... right..???

I think real truckers do it for more than just the money. Some really don't care about the pay.

I think real truckers do it for more than just the money. Some really don't care about the pay.

give me at the very least the names of.......27 truckers that don't really care about the pay......

and i'll tell you about this little gal that wears a red riding hood, and eats porridge in a bears cave....and farts milk duds......

I don't care what pays better, give me the open road, in a big ol Penisbilt, with a huge radidio, a big sleeper to fit fat lot lizzards in and a months supply of gogo supplies!
Coast to coast, no sleep, .12 cent a mile, a big shiny reefer box full of strawberries and I'm a big ol happy feller!

Don't forget the wire to keep your eyes open.

give me at the very least the names of.......27 truckers that don't really care about the pay......

and i'll tell you about this little gal that wears a red riding hood, and eats porridge in a bears cave....and farts milk duds......

Do you want me to start with your name or put them alphabetical order. I've got a good friend a job here. He lasted a month then decided he'd rather drive a big Pete for half the pay. I've mentioned job openings to several friends working for peanuts. Some were home every night gigs. I myself could've bidded on a much higher money making run but I don't travel north anymore only because I don't like the cold, snow and the traffic. They recently bumped up our referral bucks but I'm done referring.

Do you want me to start with your name or put them alphabetical order.

i care about the money (it's the name brand of the trucks, i couldn't give a flip about). my paycheck is where it should be, for the amount of work (and hours) i do. i do not take driving jobs that pay less, then the previous job i have had. that would be going backwards.

i need NOT give up a good paying job, just to drive a peterburp. i need not feed the ego, but the stomachs of my family.

i care about the money (it's the name brand of the trucks, i couldn't give a flip about). my paycheck is where it should be, for the amount of work (and hours) i do. i do not take driving jobs that pay less, then the previous job i have had. that would be going backwards.

i need NOT give up a good paying job, just to drive a peterburp. i need not feed the ego, but the stomachs of my family.

Agreed....I slip seat almost nightly. When I stay out it is in a motel or a bunkroom. A blinged out ride would be nice. Would rather have the cash in my bank account than
in chrome. Cant buy groceries with a shiny bumper

Agreed....I slip seat almost nightly. When I stay out it is in a motel or a bunkroom. A blinged out ride would be nice. Would rather have the cash in my bank account than
in chrome. Cant buy groceries with a shiny bumper
no...but you can hit a deer that appreciates looking at his reflection before it dies..???

I have a buddy that will only drive Peterbilt or KW. I asked him if he was offered a job making a 100k a year driving a volvo would he take it? He said nope I will not drive a volvo. He told his current employer when they bought 5 volvos that if they give him one he was going to quit and walk out. He said he wants to look good going down the road. I don't care what I drive as long as I can make money

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I really dont care what i drive as long as it gets me home in 1 piece at nite and has a decent heater/AC. Heck i will take back the first single axle R model i started peddling with. As far as Long or short haul, I have a REAL Tight Shag run. I average under 100 miles in a 9 hr shift So its short haul for me.

I have a buddy that will only drive Peterbilt or KW. I asked him if he was offered a job making a 100k a year driving a volvo would he take it? He said nope I will not drive a volvo. He told his current employer when they bought 5 volvos that if they give him one he was going to quit and walk out. He said he wants to look good going down the road. I don't care what I drive as long as I can make money

I always look good going down the road!! No need for a Pete or KW

That man needs a brain scan to see if he has one

although a few chosen trucking companies pay top dollar AND HAVE such nice equipment, they may very well be in a minority of companies.

no one, in my most humble opinion, needs to look good going down the road. a truck needs to be functional and dependable. not saying Pete's or KW's ARE NOT dependable and functional, but he should look at it from a different perspective...

will going down that road, looking good, buy him a home or condo or town house, if he get's paid less than any of us that drive the standard equipped company trucks..??

i think not.

oh sure, he may have a brand new pick up truck, maybe a brand new Mustang or "Vette", but what else can he show for IF and i say IF he does not get enough miles or cents per mile.??

i'll just bet, he's one of 'em guys, that drives into a truck stop, or the customers property with his Jake brake on.

well you know what...good luck to him and his ego inflating attitude towards what type of rig he drives.

many of us here have already stated, "give me a plain truck or ordinary truck AND THE MONEY"

He drives for a company that hauls pre cast concrete. He hauls bridge beams once in a while. He gets paid a percentage of the load so I don't know if he does good or not. He says he can make over 60k a year but he runs hard, really hard sometimes.