Estes | Long Term Injury

MMax

TB Lurker
Credits
Anyone here make it back from a long term injury? Or do you know of anyone that made it back after being gone almost a year. I'm talking about reconstructive knee surgery. The closer my bro gets to getting a full release, the more worried about having his job waiting for him he gets. His position has not been filled, but he was put on inactive status. It seems like he's had a heck a time getting answers out of the powers that be.

Many thanks to you all, and keep it safe out there,

Max

Anyone here make it back from a long term injury? Or do you know of anyone that made it back after being gone almost a year. I'm talking about reconstructive knee surgery. The closer my bro gets to getting a full release, the more worried about having his job waiting for him he gets. His position has not been filled, but he was put on inactive status. It seems like he's had a heck a time getting answers out of the powers that be.

Many thanks to you all, and keep it safe out there,

Max
MMax, I've seen them let folks go after their 13 week out and I've seen them keep folks after a year.. It all hinges on how well he kept in touch with Richmond and his TM.. After a year, I would hate to be the one to give you bad news, so I'll leave it at that... Again, it depends on how well he kept in touch.. If his job is still vacant and the doctor clears him through a physical, then he should be OK...Tell him good luck to all of us and hope he gets his job back..

Is this an on the job injury or an off the job injury?

Is this an on the job injury or an off the job injury?

On the job, he ended up with a dislocated knee and three torn ligaments. It would be nice to see some extra protection for people that get hurt and can't be back within the 12 weeks that FMLA gives. As far as we know, the TM hasn't replaced him.

Thanks for your input on this.

RP

On the job, he ended up with a dislocated knee and three torn ligaments. It would be nice to see some extra protection for people that get hurt and can't be back within the 12 weeks that FMLA gives. As far as we know, the TM hasn't replaced him.

Thanks for your input on this.

RP
It can be a problem, health insurance drops off quickly for those off on worker's compensation. Comp is federally mandated but run by the state so it is different in every state. In PA we have fairly good coverage and if our job is cut in the process we are still covered. The verbiage reads something like, "Until returning to work at or above current wages". That means that if our job is lost in the process or we are given a lesser job we collect until it is replaced. In other words we can go get a job of any sort and comp has to make up the difference.

He needs to check into his options. Until recently he hasn't been too worried about it, but the closer he gets to getting a release day, the more paranoid he's getting about having a job to come back to. He's been with Estes over 9 and a half years, but it's always been made clear that the needs of the company come first. Kind of sad, I remember the days when companies looked after their employees. I worked at warehouse for many, many years before going back to driving. The owner of the company looked after us like we here his family.

He needs to check into his options. Until recently he hasn't been too worried about it, but the closer he gets to getting a release day, the more paranoid he's getting about having a job to come back to. He's been with Estes over 9 and a half years, but it's always been made clear that the needs of the company come first. Kind of sad, I remember the days when companies looked after their employees. I worked at warehouse for many, many years before going back to driving. The owner of the company looked after us like we here his family.
So has he been keeping in contact with his TM? That the key to knowing whether he stands a chance or not.. If not, throw to the NLRB or his State Labor Board and search his options... He nneds to have documentation though if he has to fight it...

Yeah, he has been keeping in touch, both with corporate and his TM. The TM has told him that he hasn't replaced him, and that for him to do so would require approval from HR. I think it's all going to work out. He expects to get a release date tomorrow from the surgeon for mid to late February. I'm surprised they haven't called him for light duty yet.

Yeah, he has been keeping in touch, both with corporate and his TM. The TM has told him that he hasn't replaced him, and that for him to do so would require approval from HR. I think it's all going to work out. He expects to get a release date tomorrow from the surgeon for mid to late February. I'm surprised they haven't called him for light duty yet.
Long as he passes his physical, he's in like Flynn...

Well...no news maybe good news. My bro has gotten a release date for the end of February, making it just over 11 months since his injury, and 9 months since surgery before he can make his grand return. He hasn't heard much from his TM or HR, and that has him a bit worried. I and others have told him to kick back and keep getting ready to hit the grindstone. Our terminal has slowed more than a little since the first of the month, but I don't think he should worry too much about that. The company is so desperate for drivers that they are hiring drivers without their haz-mat. I think they would be foolish to kick him to the curb, especially after nearly ten years of faithful service. He'll know soon enough...about 5 weeks or so.

It is typical to hear nothing when off injured. Not from the company, not from you coworkers, not from anybody except the people you are working with to get back to health. Good luck to the man.

Well...no news maybe good news. My bro has gotten a release date for the end of February, making it just over 11 months since his injury, and 9 months since surgery before he can make his grand return. He hasn't heard much from his TM or HR, and that has him a bit worried. I and others have told him to kick back and keep getting ready to hit the grindstone. Our terminal has slowed more than a little since the first of the month, but I don't think he should worry too much about that. The company is so desperate for drivers that they are hiring drivers without their haz-mat. I think they would be foolish to kick him to the curb, especially after nearly ten years of faithful service. He'll know soon enough...about 5 weeks or so.
Heck tell'im to go up there and shake hands with people and let them know he's ready, but the doctor ain't.. You'd be surprised how "just showing up" to see people will put all your worries to rest.. You either find out the negative or the positive... Shaking a person's hand still goes a long way,IMO...

Howdy to you all,
I'm the driver Max has been talking about. He finally convinced me to join this board. My anticipated release date is about 4 weeks away, just over 11 months after I got hurt. I am three months ahead of schedule for getting a full release to return back to work. I've been with Estes just under ten years now, and though it hasn't always been a cake walk, I wouldn't willingly give up what I've got. I think my main concern is that our terminal has slowed down a bit since the first of the year, and back in October, I got a letter from HR saying that they were removing me from active employment status. While they haven't told me what effect on my position that has had (I've asked several times), I am still considered an Estes employee and I still have benefits. We've never had anyone out this long due to an injury, heck we've had guys have cancer surgery and made it back it a lot less time. I'm worried about my future here, mostly I dread the idea of starting over somewhere else. On the other hand, if they decide to utilize my skills any longer, I'll get unemployment and return to work at my leisure. It doesn't make sense that when the company is in need of drivers all over the place, so much so that they have lowered their hiring standards to include drivers without their haz-mat endorsement, that they would let me go. But then I've seen them do things that make no sense before. As our dispatcher tells us...'the needs of the company come first'. Thanks for all of your support, this reconstructive knee surgery has been a real bitch. Take care of those knees my friends...

And you are right, I've hardly heard anything from corporate other than a few letters telling me I've reached various points along the road. The first one telling me my request for FMLA was approved, another one telling me that my FMLA had run out. A couple of others with updates on how much money to send in for the insurance premium, and another letter letting me know that I had been out over six months and that I was being removed from active employment status. I've emailed and called over the months and weeks with various other questions...most of which have gone unanswered.
LS

Last edited:
Howdy to you all,
I'm the driver Max has been talking about. He finally convinced me to join this board. My anticipated release date is about 4 weeks away, just over 11 months after I got hurt. I am three months ahead of schedule for getting a full release to return back to work. I've been with Estes just under ten years now, and though it hasn't always been a cake walk, I wouldn't willingly give up what I've got. I think my main concern is that our terminal has slowed down a bit since the first of the year, and back in October, I got a letter from HR saying that they were removing me from active employment status. While they haven't told me what effect on my position that has had (I've asked several times), I am still considered an Estes employee and I still have benefits. We've never had anyone out this long due to an injury, heck we've had guys have cancer surgery and made it back it a lot less time. I'm worried about my future here, mostly I dread the idea of starting over somewhere else. On the other hand, if they decide to utilize my skills any longer, I'll get unemployment and return to work at my leisure. It doesn't make sense that when the company is in need of drivers all over the place, so much so that they have lowered their hiring standards to include drivers without their haz-mat endorsement, that they would let me go. But then I've seen them do things that make no sense before. As our dispatcher tells us...'the needs of the company come first'. Thanks for all of your support, this reconstructive knee surgery has been a real bitch. Take care of those knees my friends...

And you are right, I've hardly heard anything from corporate other than a few letters telling me I've reached various points along the road. The first one telling me my request for FMLA was approved, another one telling me that my FMLA had run out. A couple of others with updates on how much money to send in for the insurance premium, and another letter letting me know that I had been out over six months and that I was being removed from active employment status. I've emailed and called over the months and weeks with various other questions...most of which have gone unanswered.
LS
As a "back-up" plan driver, I would consider looking around.. It sounds as though they have written you off.. But I'm only going on what you posted.. Staying in contact with your local terminal is very important... And staying in contact with HR.. At this point, from what you say, I would call it a crap shoot to have your job back, I hope you do... I've seen people stay out over a year and be returned to duty status and I've seen people out for 12 weeks and be terminated.. But once you get the letter saying you have been removed from "active status" that gives them the right to replace you..It all hinges on what your Manager thinks and his need for drivers.. I suggested in your friend's post, that you visit the terminal and shake some hands and visit with the Manager.. I think that will tell you how he feels about you returning... Good luck and I really hope things work out for you...

As a "back-up" plan driver, I would consider looking around.. It sounds as though they have written you off.. But I'm only going on what you posted.. Staying in contact with your local terminal is very important... And staying in contact with HR.. At this point, from what you say, I would call it a crap shoot to have your job back, I hope you do... I've seen people stay out over a year and be returned to duty status and I've seen people out for 12 weeks and be terminated.. But once you get the letter saying you have been removed from "active status" that gives them the right to replace you..It all hinges on what your Manager thinks and his need for drivers.. I suggested in your friend's post, that you visit the terminal and shake some hands and visit with the Manager.. I think that will tell you how he feels about you returning... Good luck and I really hope things work out for you...

I was just there a few days ago. The manager was a little more positive than he has been over the past couple of months. I've wondered if being put on the inactive list changed things much. I know he added two drivers way back when I first got hurt, while I was still protected by FMLA, the one thing he has told me over the months is that he has not replaced me. But when I was put on inactive status, that could have eliminated my position?? I was told that the final decision will not be made until they have the full duty release in their hands. Interesting how they are working that. Once I get the full duty release without restrictions...the payments from work comp will stop. And yes, I have started to look around, even though I would get unemployment, that just doesn't sit well with me. Though I could cash out my 401 and take a long trip to a place with a beach and drinks with umbrellas in them :) I'll know for sure in 4-5 weeks. I have been stopping by the terminal every so often just to make sure that they don't forget I'm alive. I will say that for the most part, my visits have been mostly positive. Thanks for your insight...