ABF | Long Trailers

jellybean said:
The tri-axles were suppossed to compensate for getting rid of all the screws around 1985. The 3 axles originally were furthur forward with a long overhang to the rear. This was going to allow us to still gross 80,000lbs while only running single axle tractors. They had drop down legs on the rear to lower when at a dock for stabilization. However the powers that be didn't figure that if they were loaded with too much weight to the rear, you couldn't control them in bad weather because it would take to much weight off your drive axle. Therefore all the axles were moved back about 3-4 ft and became the joke of the fleet. In my useless opinion they should remove the front axle and retro-fit with overhead doors. Then retire them into the city as 45ft peddle vans.

Those tri-axles must have been a joy to turn around in a tight yard. All these tires dragging as you spun around must have really pulled the tractor back

ABFgreasemonkey said:
to just remove to front axle, you would have to change the entire suspension and braking system on the remaining 2 axles if you did that, which would turn into big $$$$. right now all repairs on all vans over $1200.00 has to be approved by the powers that be at Ft Smith and who knows what they will decide! hell last week they approved putting an entire floor in a 45 ft 1974 old Carolina van along with other repairs at a cost of about 4000.00

That's good to know. I better keep my opinions to myself and just drive-em.

CFer said:
Those tri-axles must have been a joy to turn around in a tight yard. All these tires dragging as you spun around must have really pulled the tractor back
Tire life was about equal to our P.M's.

ABFgreasemonkey said:
right now all repairs on all vans over $1200.00 has to be approved by the powers that be at Ft Smith and who knows what they will decide!

I will second that statement! I work for Acme Trailer Works in New Cumberland, PA and ABF at 042 (CAR) is one of our best customers! Last week, we just returned a 28' Pines-built pup athat they are retiring because the amount of money required to fix the trailer exceeded the current value of the unit!
BTW- does anyone know exactly how many of the ABFZ 660000-series 53' rail vans they bought? they were built in May of this year by Great Dane.

let me guess....

.The Pines Pup had any or all of the following

1:worn out king pin
2:rusted out front grid section
3:crossmembers over the tandem section rusted out
4:spring hangers rusted out on all sides

we won't even talk about the cosmetic damage

ABFgreasemonkey said:
.The Pines Pup had any or all of the following

1:worn out king pin
2:rusted out front grid section
3:crossmembers over the tandem section rusted out
4:spring hangers rusted out on all sides

we won't even talk about the cosmetic damage

Actually, it was the spring hangers, and all 4 wooden nailer boards were shot. I think there were other items as well, but I can't remember them!

Yep........

.I just did the spring hangers on 2 Pines pups last week, if some of these drivers knew what they were pulling they would be nervous wrecks!

Don't remember how many '53 footers were purchased. It was in the last bylines. I have seen some of them out west in the last couple of months in Denver and Salt lake. I have seen quite a few of them on the rails. It appears that they have swing back doors.