Looking for info on OD Container Div...

Discussion in 'Old Dominion Freight Line' started by Top Hand, May 26, 2017.

1. Top Hand

Top Hand Member

Pay, where they run and how long are they out?

2. Freightsup

Freightsup Active Member

Not sure anyone on here is a container driver. They did change over to company drivers from owner ops a year or so ago.

Top Hand and Fonzie like this.
  3. kenneth

kenneth Well-Known Member

Check the OD Website.They did change to mostly company driver's.Don't think they stay out much anymore.We have dedicated driver's who run down to pick and bring back.Then we have driver's who deliver them during the day.Those hourly driver's during the day don't work much more than 40 hour's a week.

icuicp and Freightsup like this.
  4. Fonzie

Fonzie New Member

I am a container driver and enjoy the job very much. We are generally home daily, but there are times when you will have to take your 10 hour break on the road-usually once a week or two. Where you will run will vary depending on terminal, as we have container divisions up the coast. I would say that you can expect to go out as far as 500 miles or so from your terminal as a general rule. We do have guys that choose to stay local and run in and out of the port all day. There is something for everyone.

5. BillyLo

BillyLo Service 2.0 OD Strong All Time Mastio Champion

Are you a company driver? How do they pay you guys?

6. Fonzie

Fonzie New Member

Yes, I am a company driver. If you run out 150 miles or more you are paid mileage. If under 150 it is hourly. Even if paid mileage, you get paid hourly once you arrive at customer/port until you are loaded/unloaded. The mileage/hourly pay rate is the same as a line haul or city driver. I transferred in to containers from line haul.

BillyLo likes this.
  7. BillyLo

BillyLo Service 2.0 OD Strong All Time Mastio Champion

That sounds like the best job in the drayage industry. In the Seattle area none of the companies pay their guys like that. It's just a percentage and not much.

OD tried drayage here with just owner operators but pulled out after 2 years.

8. Fonzie

Fonzie New Member

Yeah I didn't know much about it before I transferred down into it. OD is a great company to work for, so I guess that I just trusted that it would be solid and It was. It seems to be like a good mix of city/line haul type work. Every day is something different, so it keeps me interested.

9. Top Hand

Top Hand Member

Are the sleeper trucks assigned and do you take your break in the truck or hotel, like line haul? I had rather sleep in the truck instead of a different hotel every day. I've just always slept better in a truck than a hotel.

10. Fonzie

Fonzie New Member

Yes, the sleeper trucks are assigned to only you. And yes, we take our 10hr break in the trucks. I prefer to sleep in the truck myself also.

Top Hand likes this.