ODFL | Looking for info

Tgree

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello. I am currently employed at XPO and looking for a change, for obvious reasons...

I am looking at the Wisconsin terminals and trying to understand the structure at OD. I have talked to a couple drivers for OD and have been told there is little to no dock work if you choose. I have heard options such as hostling or just waiting for loads.

My questions:
Is it true for Wisconsin (and maybe other states as well, not sure) that there is no forced dock work?
Could someone break down the different options for bids at OD? City P&D, Extra board, Line haul, ect. and what they entail? At XPO(in my terminal) we have two options, City P&D and Linehaul. No flex.

Hello. I am currently employed at XPO and looking for a change, for obvious reasons...

I am looking at the Wisconsin terminals and trying to understand the structure at OD. I have talked to a couple drivers for OD and have been told there is little to no dock work if you choose. I have heard options such as hostling or just waiting for loads.

My questions:
Is it true for Wisconsin (and maybe other states as well, not sure) that there is no forced dock work?
Could someone break down the different options for bids at OD? City P&D, Extra board, Line haul, ect. and what they entail? At XPO(in my terminal) we have two options, City P&D and Linehaul. No flex.
To answer your question there is a road driver board and a city pd board. Depending on where you are applying because I can only speak on the centers I ever worked at, you hire in on road or city. If you hire in as a linehaul driver and want to go to a city pd spot you most request that city pd spot when one becomes available and vice versa for city to linehaul. The linehaul runs have pretty good mileage (MOST RUNS) so you don’t have to rely on dock work like xpo or Fedex etc. now some centers may have runs that are under 400 miles a night such as a lot of drivers that run into ft Wayne for instance, they do allow drivers to work the dock. The extra board or wild board is just a bid on linehaul much like xpo or Fedex freight, however depending on the center they might have what is called a bag run, which would require you to layover depending on run, a lot of centers also run team sleeper runs especially out of larger hubs, wherever you apply the center manager will let you know what you would most likely be doing.

To answer your question there is a road driver board and a city pd board. Depending on where you are applying because I can only speak on the centers I ever worked at, you hire in on road or city. If you hire in as a linehaul driver and want to go to a city pd spot you most request that city pd spot when one becomes available and vice versa for city to linehaul. The linehaul runs have pretty good mileage (MOST RUNS) so you don’t have to rely on dock work like xpo or Fedex etc. now some centers may have runs that are under 400 miles a night such as a lot of drivers that run into ft Wayne for instance, they do allow drivers to work the dock. The extra board or wild board is just a bid on linehaul much like xpo or Fedex freight, however depending on the center they might have what is called a bag run, which would require you to layover depending on run, a lot of centers also run team sleeper runs especially out of larger hubs, wherever you apply the center manager will let you know what you would most likely be doing.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply!

When I was hired on as a city driver I asked about dock work and was told we have dock workers you won’t touch it and I haven’t only drivers that do dock are ones that got their cdl through od and they are combo for a year and so whatever’s needed

Rarely work dock.That doesn't include being in the dock in the morning helping to load your route.
But think like this.Some of these guys are coming from places like Conway/XPO.P&D drivers work on the morning or at night comeback and unload their pickups.Line drivers hookup drive to the break (FAC) work the dock load up and drive home.We don't do that.IJS.

How long is the hiring process? My app says under review for a couple of weeks now. Who would call me the local terminal or home office? I think I would make a great addition to O.D! I can back triples and blind side doubles!!

How long is the hiring process? My app says under review for a couple of weeks now. Who would call me the local terminal or home office? I think I would make a great addition to O.D! I can back triples and blind side doubles!!

Boy, you are asking for it, you will never get a part-time job cutting grass for Billy now.
Ump is so picky about his goats, that's out of the question.

Billy either mows, or blows snow instead of dock work....Depends on the season of course...