Looking to Buy i Pad Mini and Need Help

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5115

OK, long story short, I am looking to buy i Pad mini retina display for use in my small airplane. Have to get one ready for cell use to get the integrated GPS. They come prewired for specific cell carriers. I do not intend to activate the cell service at this time but who knows what the future will bring. There is so much misinformation and lack of knowledge at the sales outlets that it's pathetic, how do these people even get these jobs? So...my question is, can anyone tell me which carrier would be best to get this thing prewired for? The options are AT&T, Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile. I had one salesman tell me that an AT&T unit could be modified to work on any of the other networks. I am not so sure about that, all indications are you are stuck with the carrier the unit is prewired for.
Thanks for the help.

OK, long story short, I am looking to buy i Pad mini retina display for use in my small airplane. Have to get one ready for cell use to get the integrated GPS. They come prewired for specific cell carriers. I do not intend to activate the cell service at this time but who knows what the future will bring. There is so much misinformation and lack of knowledge at the sales outlets that it's pathetic, how do these people even get these jobs? So...my question is, can anyone tell me which carrier would be best to get this thing prewired for? The options are AT&T, Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile. I had one salesman tell me that an AT&T unit could be modified to work on any of the other networks. I am not so sure about that, all indications are you are stuck with the carrier the unit is prewired for.
Thanks for the help.
My experience is tgat once you sign on, you are stuck til the contract runs out. I have yet to see any equipment that coukd switch from carrier to carrier withoyt what is called "unlocking", which has a tendancy to affect some features of some phones. May I ask though, since you are not getting the cell service, what would be to use in a plane?

GPS and aviation software like charts, weather and more. And the guy did say it would have to be 'unlocked', whatever that is.

Have you been to this forum yet?

Cell Phone Forums

There is a lot to wade through, but there may be an answer there too. You may even find information on how to jailbreak one of those things.

Im not positive but I think that unless you have cell service or WiFi, or at least a portable hot spot, you might not get those services. But hey. It hard to trust a guy who has been married three times. If you use a smart phone, have you checked Google Play for any aviation maps and charts? there are likely to be free apps available and probably some paid apps as well. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=aviation charts&c=apps&price=0&hl=en Thus eliminating the need to buy new equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
ABFer - first you need to be clear about what you want to do with it. The iPad has "assisted" GPS, which means it gives you a simulation of GPS, based on the triangulation from the cell phone towers in range of your location. You will have to activate the cellular antenna with a carrier to get location information from it, and it's not going to be as accurate as a true GPS. Translation - I wouldn't recommend using it for navigation of an airplane. As a backup, or for entertainment purposes (and if you look out the window now, you can see blah blah lake to the east), maybe...but don't bet any lives on it.

That said, your best course of action would be to get it equipped for whatever carrier you have a cell phone with already. Two reasons behind that. First, most of us have a cell carrier that gives us good reception where we are, but won't necessarily work everywhere in general. i.e. I used to have a phone through Sprint that worked great at home, but when I went to visit family, the phone barely functioned. My family lives on an island, and their house is just barely in range of the Sprint towers on the mainland, so the phone would constantly flip between Sprint and roaming. Basically, I never had a consistent enough signal to make/receive a call, and due to the constant network searching the battery was always dead. Not a knock on Sprint...just poor reception in that particular location.

The second reason is pricing. I'm currently with Verizon. If I were to buy an iPad, I'd be able to add it to a Share Everything plan and activate service for $10/month. Then the iPad and my current cell phone would share their data usage (2 gig plan, phone uses 500MB in a month, that leaves 1.5GB during that billing cycle for the tablet without paying overages). Whomever your carrier is probably has a bundle deal.

Before you spend any money, take a trip in the plane and make sure that you actually get cell reception at the altitude where you want the iPad to work.

The last bit I'll contribute (unsolicited) is to be sure you want an actual iPad, not just a tablet in general. I'm partial to Apple products, so I'm not trying to throw them under the bus. But you need to realize that all Apple mobile devices must be activated/registered/partnered to a computer. Once they're activated, you can do almost everything wirelessly, but ultimately you'll need to ALSO own a computer (Win or Mac doesn't matter).

ABFer - first you need to be clear about what you want to do with it. The iPad has all sorts of gimcracks and geegaws, retina stuff and apple pie or something, blah, blah, blah, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Since Apple doesn't want you to get over on them all Apple mobile devices must be activated/registered/partnered to a computer. Once they're activated, you can do almost everything wirelessly, but ultimately you'll need to ALSO own a computer (Win or Mac doesn't matter).

Too late.

He already took the plunge.

Read all the gory details here: ABFer ABFs It <<<<< Clicky The Linky

So, wait....that was my first post, so I know I'm a n00b...but due to a thread change I look like an exponential NooB?!?! Epic fail.... (all you can do following a terrible performance is bow in shame and take the chiding...like tripping off of the stage when getting your diploma....) :P

So, wait....that was my first post, so I know I'm a n00b...but due to a thread change I look like an exponential NooB?!?! Epic fail.... (all you can do following a terrible performance is bow in shame and take the chiding...like tripping off of the stage when getting your diploma....) :P

You're OK n00b. No one was faulting you for anything.

Just a gentle nudge in the right direction . . . .

ATT IS gsm, Verizon is CDMA....

AT&T phones/devices can be unlocked to work with many carriers that use sim cards
Verizon works with very few carriers

GSM devices all the way in my book

I did go out and buy the unit two weeks ago at an Apple store nearby. The other stores did not have the unit I needed. I found a lot of misinformation being disseminated by the sales people and had to sort through some of the stuff. Here is what I have concluded:

1) Jeff is right and AT&T is easily used worldwide because of that GSM (whatever that is).

2) The cell ready units ALL have internal GPS, not cell tower triangulated locators, genuine GPS. I am pretty sure that this is due to our government requiring all cell phones sold after a specific date (about 5 years ago) to transmit GPS coordinates when one calls 911. 911 Is pretty much useless when a caller responds, "I don't know", when asked where they are by the 911 operator. And the cell function does not have to be activated to run the GPS and the charts.

3) I have always liked the Apple products but not so much their prices. However, for some reason the best software for aviation is only written for the i Pad and, believe it or not, i Phone. The same company's product for the Android platform is lacking a lot of features.

4) 32 Gigs was necessary for me due to the space needed for the aviation software if I wanted memory to use it for other things.

I do not intend to activate the cell at this time so I went with AT&T for the reasons that Jeff mentioned above, which were not so readily available from the sales people out there, I had to wade through a lot of misinformation and talk to some who had experience on an aviation website to figure it out.

I am not the biggest Apple fan in the world, My wife loves her Ipad and iphone...

To tell you the truth, I really don't like android much either

Yea, my cell phone is a T-Mobile flip over prepaid. It dials out, rings when calls come in and it has an alarm on it for when I take my naps.