R&L | Looking to defect from Yellow

HeadRush

TB Lurker
Credits
I've been driving for Yellow for about 7 months and besides it being slow a little too often there are other things that just don't make it a good fit for me. I was wondering if you guys could asnwer a few questions for me. Any information is much appreciated.

I see that R+L is hiring teams out of Chicago:

What are the chances of me getting hired with less than 1 yr. of experience (8 mos. total)?

I have a friend that works for Con-Way with less experience than I do. What's the possibility of us getting on a team together?

How long is the probationary period?

What's the starting pay, benefits, and do you like them?

What kind of equipment do you guys run and how is the company's attitude towards keeping it in good shape?

If anyone has worked for Yellow or Roadway and made the switch, your insight would help a lot. I'm not looking to get rich or run myself into the ground. I would just like to make a decent and steady income without playing games.

You probably have a good chance, it would be best to talk to them in person. The probation or "introductory" period is 120 days, you'll start getting insurance after 60 though. I don't know what mileage pay is for teams, I've heard from some former team drivers that they would gross $1600-$1900 per driver a week. Our teams usually run around 5 days out and back in for 2 days. Most all the sleepers are Internationals with a few Freightshaker Columbias around too. Some shops are better than others at keeping them in good shape and I've never had a probelm with getting anything fixed if I write it up.

You probably have a good chance, it would be best to talk to them in person. The probation or "introductory" period is 120 days, you'll start getting insurance after 60 though. I don't know what mileage pay is for teams, I've heard from some former team drivers that they would gross $1600-$1900 per driver a week. Our teams usually run around 5 days out and back in for 2 days. Most all the sleepers are Internationals with a few Freightshaker Columbias around too. Some shops are better than others at keeping them in good shape and I've never had a probelm with getting anything fixed if I write it up.

Thanks Overkill! I've been snooping around this forum to see if I could find some "legitimate" complaints, and I'm having a hard time. So far, that's a good thing. I don't like the fact that the introductory period is so long, but I think I can handle it. I have a couple more questions.

Do the terminals that have teams run certain lanes?

Are you able to pick your driving partner?

As far as the two days off, does the clock start ticking once you get back into your home terminal? Or do you get Sat./Sun. off if you get back in on Friday?

If you can afford it, I would try to stick it out at Yellow for a while longer. A union road job is next to impossible to get in my area.

Yes they do have some bid runs for teams, the senior guys usually get those and then the rest run the system. You can pick your partner, we have husband/wife, brothers, and friends on teams. I don't know exactly how they measure time off it probably depends on freight levels if your running wild. Some team bids get in Sat morning and leave back out Mon morning (48 hrs. off).

With limited experience,I wouldn't recommend anyone going straight to teams. I've many guys get together,only to find out after a few weeks things didn't work out.
Maybe get yourself comfortable,in any company,then you also can get a chance to talk to others.

With limited experience,I wouldn't recommend anyone going straight to teams. I've many guys get together,only to find out after a few weeks things didn't work out.
Maybe get yourself comfortable,in any company,then you also can get a chance to talk to others.

Already running teams over at Yellow mechanix. The only thing that I don't like about it besides running empty trailers in high winds or on slippery roads, is running with different people every single time. The team trucks at Yellow are better taken care of and most are in decent shape versus the day cabs. Your advice is well appreciated, thank you.

That Would Be A Big Mistake!
Stay Where Your At Your Family Will Be Better Off!!
Read The Fine Print In There Ins.
You'll Start With Nothing And You'll Leave With Nothing!!
[ Not Even Your Health ] :chairshot:

[ Not Even Your Health ] :chairshot:

I think if you can get hired by R&L, you should go for it. R&L is an excellent company to work for. R&L is owned by a very generous family!!!We have a guy that came over from Yellow about 5 years ago, and is very happy he did!!I would not leave R&L voluntarily to work for any other LTL!!!:smilie_132: If it means anything to you, the Roberts family who owns R&L are Christians !!! I personaly :1036316054:like this fact!!

dont leave yellow give it some thought you dont want to regret this

Very interesting statements gentlemen. What part of the country are you from, and would you like to offer up some facts to support your statements? It's not that I take what you're saying lightly, I just would like to know the story behind it. For example, the Yellow Chicago terminal seems to be the best terminal to work out of. We have the least layoffs if any at all, no need to start as a casual, and other benefits that other terminals do not have in other parts of the country. Although your statements could be dead on, it could also have to do with the part of the country you live in. I'm not trying to disagree with you, I just need a bit more elaboration to help me make the best informed decision.

I think if you can get hired by R&L, you should go for it. R&L is an excellent company to work for. R&L is owned by a very generous family!!!We have a guy that came over from Yellow about 5 years ago, and is very happy he did!!I would not leave R&L voluntarily to work for any other LTL!!!:smilie_132: If it means anything to you, the Roberts family who owns R&L are Christians !!! I personaly :1036316054:like this fact!!

Good advice braceface, however my ex-wife and a good part of her family call themselves Christians. My ex thinks I'm a free check and her family is compromised of ex-drug addicts/alcoholics. I know that you mean well by informing me about the Roberts family, but religion isn't a strong point with me due to my history. It's good enough to know that you're happy there and that there's another ex-Yellow driver that's happy with his decision. I've been reading about the generosity of the Roberts family in past threads and see that R+L employees enjoy free accommodations at a few resorts.:1036316054:

Good advice braceface, however my ex-wife and a good part of her family call themselves Christians. My ex thinks I'm a free check and her family is compromised of ex-drug addicts/alcoholics. I know that you mean well by informing me about the Roberts family, but religion isn't a strong point with me due to my history. It's good enough to know that you're happy there and that there's another ex-Yellow driver that's happy with his decision. I've been reading about the generosity of the Roberts family in past threads and see that R+L employees enjoy free accommodations at a few resorts.:1036316054:
Heeadrush, I hope whatever decision you make, you are happy with it!!! The Roberts family have always been very generous and good people to work for, not just the 4 resorts they own and let us stay at for free, but in lots of other ways also!!!I am personally not not a Union man, I don't have confidence that the Union will be here in the future.:hide:The pension system is flawed, as you can see all the big three auto makers are in trouble and cannot meet their pension obligations!!!The airlines could not meet their pension obligations either!! I would personally rather have my own 401-k with my name on it, that my employer generously matches:1036316054: Christians are certainly not perfect people, we all certainly fall short!!

Already running teams over at Yellow mechanix. The only thing that I don't like about it besides running empty trailers in high winds or on slippery roads, is running with different people every single time. The team trucks at Yellow are better taken care of and most are in decent shape versus the day cabs. Your advice is well appreciated, thank you.

Experience does make a difference,I missed that in the first post.
The teams I've seen at R&L were dedicated drivers,no slip seats,but that may vary by regions.

you have to watch out for the christians they are the ones that will really screw you

Heeadrush, I hope whatever decision you make, you are happy with it!!! The Roberts family have always been very generous and good people to work for, not just the 4 resorts they own and let us stay at for free, but in lots of other ways also!!!I am personally not not a Union man, I don't have confidence that the Union will be here in the future.The pension system is flawed, as you can see all the big three auto makers are in trouble and cannot meet their pension obligations!!!The airlines could not meet their pension obligations either!! I would personally rather have my own 401-k with my name on it, that my employer generously matches Christians are certainly not perfect people, we all certainly fall short!!

I have my own 401k as well from another company that I use to work for. Everything has its ups and downs, including the Teamsters. I won't elaborate too much about it. Let's just say that I'm neutral.

Experience does make a difference,I missed that in the first post.
The teams I've seen at R&L were dedicated drivers,no slip seats,but that may vary by regions.

No sweat, thanks for the info. What channel does R+L use on the CB? Maybe I'll come across a linehaul driver that use to team and ask a couple of questions.

You can't go by all the griping and complaining that we do on here. We are all solo drivers. Every team that I've run with loves it here. I've concidered it myself, but we don't run teams out of my yard. If you hire on with a partner, that is your partner. Our team trucks are true team trucks. They are set at 76 mph, pull well, and have 70" or larger sleepers. You won't be running a small flat-top. You may not have weekends off, but you will have two days off before you go back out. You would have to check with the TM on that. In my personal opinion, team drivers are treated better then most. Sometimes you will have to wait for a load at some of the larger terminals, but most of the smaller ones aren't allowed to sit a team.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

[You can't go by all the griping and complaining that we do on here./QUOTE]

There's not much of that going on Chickenwing. Especially compared to the other forums. I've been accused of doing so myself, but that was by a senior driver that more than likely makes double my pay.

Our team trucks are true team trucks. They are set at 76 mph, pull well, and have 70" or larger sleepers. You won't be running a small flat-top. You may not have weekends off, but you will have two days off before you go back out.

I take it that a lot of runs are out West if the speed is set that high. It would be nice to have enough power to pass and be able to pass the time just a bit quicker. Yellow's trucks are set at a modest 63 mph. The size of the sleeper is nice, but not all that important. Just as long as I have enough room to swing my feet off of the bunk without them being in the cab is fine. I wouldn't think as a new guy that I'd have the weekends off. It'd be nice, but you can't have everything.

Next question

How do R+L drivers get paid? I was told that it was by the run and not by mileage. Also, do you get paid wait time if your load isn't ready?