XPO | Looking to Make A Move

Back in 2000 I worked for American Freightways. You were treated well and pay and benefits were around industry standards for the time. In late 2000 FedEx bought AF and Viking and in 2001 and 2002 is when all the changes started, I was young and angry at what was happening to AF that I left the company in 2002. Now look at were the FedEx Freight is today. I know I can't go back and change the past, but if I would have stayed I would have been there for almost 20yrs, started in 98. Reading these post now about how FedEx is one of the places to go just make me wander what will be said about XPO in 5yrs, 10yrs, or even 15yrs from now. No one here has a magic ball and know the future of any of these companies. I do know one thing though the company has to make a profit to operating. I sure if you went back 20yrs ago and told CF driver that Labor day 2002 that CF was closing their door you would have been laughed off the property and told we are to big to fail.
Other poster have post that they found that there are other good companies to work for. Well what good for you might not be good to someone else.
I not saying XPO is the greatest company out there but they are no were near the worst.
I one thing we must all remember is that a CDL driver with a clean record is in high demand and I know if XPO closed it door tomorrow that 1. all the freight we move has to be moved by someone else and 2. I would have no problem finding a job.

A lot of people have jumped ship for the security. If you have a family and can't afford to gamble. I totally get it. The rest of us hope for the best. If it goes bad. It's okay. Like you say, I got a license in my pocket. I'll be just fine.

Best advice yet
Although I would put UPS freight at the top of my list. Rock solid parent company and wages that will steadly increase over the years.
All I can say is what I know, I have close Family Members that made wise choices about where they worked and they both Retired early and draw a great pension. I on the other hand, went with a company, Con -job, that stole my future and left me peanuts when it comes to pension. So the moral of the story is , make good choices, save what you can,
Look at the big picture and for goodness sake , find a place where you are happy. I cannot speak for XPO, I don't know what they are going to be and Con-Job is a thing of the past.

Last edited:
True - a clean driving record and all your endorsements and some experience are valuable.

What about the supervisors and managers? Where will they go. Where have they been going to? The ranks seem to be thinning out ( at least in my area )
The Carnaval circuit is always hiring too!!!!

Despite the driver shortage the the Ltl industry is definitely on the downslide when it comes to wages and benefits . It may be time to consider other careers for some who are young enough. I would never recommend a young person go this route any longer unless things turn around. ltl is going the same route long haul /Otr has gone over the last 30 yrs.
I have been in this in industry over 30yrs and had seen a lot of change in that time and most if not all has not been positive for the drivers so it's no surprise to me that we are at this point.
Something has to change before it gets better. I wish I could be at least a little more optimistic about this but you only have to look at the Otr companies to see they have not turned this problem around. Market forces are not in our favor and companies are still looking inward to increase profits.

Last edited:
Despite the driver shortage the the Ltl industry is definitely on the downslide when it comes to wages and benefits . It may be time to consider other careers for some who are young enough. I would never recommend a young person go this route any longer unless things turn around. ltl is going the same route long haul /Otr has gone over the last 30 yrs.
I have been in this in industry over 30yrs and had seen a lot of change in that time and most if not all has not been positive for the drivers so it's no surprise to me that we are at this point.
Something has to change before it gets better. I wish I could be at least a little more optimistic about this but you only have to look at the Otr companies to see they have not turned this problem around. Market forces are not in our favor and companies are still looking inward to increase profits.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to be in this situation. They are much smarter than I am. Have to admit.

Looking for some feedback here. Thanks

Any thoughts on way they don't offer employee stock purchase plan? I am currently able to buy stock plus a little discount on it as well? Although I can only buy a certain percent of what I earn, maxed it out. Never does it become the largest stock in my portfolio. Also, it's kind of like Papa's spending money if you know what I mean.

Medical insurance, anyone care to share their experience or thoughts? I've talked to TM about insurance coverage, and no offense to him, but things still aren't quite clear here. No dental or vision for the 1st yr, basic plan 1 st yr, company contribes on 2nd yr q K to HSA. You pay your premium plus contribute to a HSA acct? Who else at company can explain insurance coverage, find human resource dept? If it we're just me I wouldn't give two Hoots, but I have family, and for the mere fact of comparing it to what I have now or what else is out there. Believe me I'd rather watch paint dry on the wall then talked about insurance coverage it's all foreign to me.

401K is matched by company 1%? Correct.

Is OT after 8 hrs or 40 hrs? I'm being told 8 hours.

How about a union that's not in the pocket of the company? No one trusts IBT to do right by its members so there's little value in voting it in. One day an entrepreneurial minded person will start a freight handlers union and we will once again have bargaining power to make this a better long term career

True - a clean driving record and all your endorsements and some experience are valuable.

What about the supervisors and managers? Where will they go. Where have they been going to? The ranks seem to be thinning out ( at least in my area )

If they were smart they would get their CDL and join the ranks moving the freight. Better wages and lots less stress.

How about a union that's not in the pocket of the company? No one trusts IBT to do right by its members so there's little value in voting it in. One day an entrepreneurial minded person will start a freight handlers union and we will once again have bargaining power to make this a better long term career

Post of the day!

Looking for some feedback here. Thanks

Any thoughts on way they don't offer employee stock purchase plan? I am currently able to buy stock plus a little discount on it as well? Although I can only buy a certain percent of what I earn, maxed it out. Never does it become the largest stock in my portfolio. Also, it's kind of like Papa's spending money if you know what I mean.

Medical insurance, anyone care to share their experience or thoughts? I've talked to TM about insurance coverage, and no offense to him, but things still aren't quite clear here. No dental or vision for the 1st yr, basic plan 1 st yr, company contribes on 2nd yr q K to HSA. You pay your premium plus contribute to a HSA acct? Who else at company can explain insurance coverage, find human resource dept? If it we're just me I wouldn't give two Hoots, but I have family, and for the mere fact of comparing it to what I have now or what else is out there. Believe me I'd rather watch paint dry on the wall then talked about insurance coverage it's all foreign to me.

401K is matched by company 1%? Correct.

Is OT after 8 hrs or 40 hrs? I'm being told 8 hours.

Stock purchase. Con-way did. XPO doesn't. Jacobs said he wants people working for their wages.

Insurance. Back in the day was 100% coverage. They put more and more on the employees until Obamacare. At that point the insurance was ruined. Most peoples wives have better insurance. I know a whole lot of guys that don't use this health care. As far as who can explain anything, nobody really knows anything. Most responses are inadequate, incomplete, or blatantly inaccurate. You'll usually find the actual answer after corporate finds whatever colossal screw up and contacts you wanting to settle up. I don't personally use the health care much. Been very fortunate. Those who have used it, do not have good things to say.

The 401K match is small. And they changed the way the plan is run. You now also pay your way into the investment, but are not an actual shareholder. Just a participant whose share of any returns will be decided by the plan.

OT after 8 is the norm for most of the country. The southern boys get OT after 50. Gotta pay that sunshine tax. This only applies to city work. If you make a line haul run at any point of your shift you will get mileage and straight time for the day regardless of how long you work.

If you have a family. Go work somewhere else. Seriously. I cannot stress enough the toll it will take on them and how much that will end up harming you.

Stock purchase. Con-way did. XPO doesn't. Jacobs said he wants people working for their wages.

Insurance. Back in the day was 100% coverage. They put more and more on the employees until Obamacare. At that point the insurance was ruined. Most peoples wives have better insurance. I know a whole lot of guys that don't use this health care. As far as who can explain anything, nobody really knows anything. Most responses are inadequate, incomplete, or blatantly inaccurate. You'll usually find the actual answer after corporate finds whatever colossal screw up and contacts you wanting to settle up. I don't personally use the health care much. Been very fortunate. Those who have used it, do not have good things to say.

The 401K match is small. And they changed the way the plan is run. You now also pay your way into the investment, but are not an actual shareholder. Just a participant whose share of any returns will be decided by the plan.

OT after 8 is the norm for most of the country. The southern boys get OT after 50. Gotta pay that sunshine tax. This only applies to city work. If you make a line haul run at any point of your shift you will get mileage and straight time for the day regardless of how long you work.

If you have a family. Go work somewhere else. Seriously. I cannot stress enough the toll it will take on them and how much that will end up harming you.
That's sound advice Highspeeds, you have been there ,done that , and I agree with you completely. After 4 Years I still get ticked if I allowed myself to think about some of the B. S., That we all have been through with the Con-Job. It's a long process to get it out of your system.

Thank you! Just weighing out what I have to what else is out there, good bad or otherwise. I most often get stopped at insurance coverage. And have hit this grey area here with explanation of cost and coverage. Feeling like it might be a bit more of a pay cut than originally thought. Nothing comes out of my pay checks for any insurance premiums now. While my wife does get great insurance she is able to use mine as well at no extra cost. Family would have to come out on my end though. The decuctables are very low that it's hardly noticeable when you look at the whole picture. Yes, I do pay dues, but nothing for the pension plan, not in CS either. Company doesn't currently match anything to are 401K.

On the other hand the physical nature of my job can really be a killer.

Thank you! Just weighing out what I have to what else is out there, good bad or otherwise. I most often get stopped at insurance coverage. And have hit this grey area here with explanation of cost and coverage. Feeling like it might be a bit more of a pay cut than originally thought. Nothing comes out of my pay checks for any insurance premiums now. While my wife does get great insurance she is able to use mine as well at no extra cost. Family would have to come out on my end though. The decuctables are very low that it's hardly noticeable when you look at the whole picture. Yes, I do pay dues, but nothing for the pension plan, not in CS either. Company doesn't currently match anything to are 401K.

Think & ask your prospective employer. Maybe this helps.
2 bucks an hour diff in one 40 hour week is 80 bucks. times 4 is 320.a month more money, gross. Medical coverage like c-6 central states is 0 dollars a week @ ABF. union dues are 60 bucks a month. The same exact medical coverage @ OD or Fed EX will cost any employee @ least 100 bucks a week for family coverage. And that 400.00 a month medical premium you pay is after takes have been taken out. Say 25% off the gross means you are paying 500.00 a month after withholding. And OD does not pay OT until after say you have worked 45 or 50 hours. From the looks of things it is pretty dam expensive to work for that 2 bucks an hour more. I could tell you about other costs versus wages, but I wont. Just remember the grass is not always greener on the other side. Before hiring on with someone, look past the hourly & find out how much the medical will run weekly, deductions, out of pocket expense, on a $100,000 surgery, what is my out of pocket cost versus the other offer you have. Remember for the rest of your life, it is the details that can slap you up side the head. von.

Sorry, got a bit busy with graduations and family plus Father's Day. Not trying to disappear on you.

It was not my intention to be gray ( or grey ) about the health care. If you are healthy. It's cheap. I pay less than $8 a week for medical and dental for just me. My plan pays the first $250 a year. And that money piles up if you don't use it. So somewhere there is a piece of paper telling me what my sum was at the start of this year. I've been to the doctor a few times for small stuff. A couple infections. Some weird skin condition popped up. Nothing a few pills didn't fix. Paid nothing. It was all covered by the accumulation of money from the yearly allowance.

You have children. It's my understanding that the health care you have is worth a lot of back aches. Unless you can have your wife use her insurance on herself and the kids. And then you are just covering yourself. Then it might be reasonable. I don't have children and don't pretend to understand the nuances of their care. This is something for you to figure out.

As for the physical nature of your job. Been there and done that. This is by far the most money I have ever made for the least amount of effort given. This is sure as hell better than a lot of occupations. And as you get older and older it's going to weigh on you more and more.