Loose wheel hits van

Now that is something scary !!

And it's something that can easily happen when a tireman doesn't do his job !:hide:

For whatever reason a wheel leaves a unit on the average of 3 times a day in the U.S.....I found that on a website a couple months back.

INCREDIBLE, I didn't know it happened that often. One of the worst things occurring with safety is drivers NOT doing proper POST trip inspections so that repairs can be made before the unit leaves on the next dispatch !! Maybe there is NO training or a lack of good training on what to look for .

I know a New England Motor Freight driver in my area.
he was on his way back to his terminal after getting his route finished.
He was northbound on one of our expressways doing about 60 mph.
Suddenly his left front wheel broke off the spindel,and as he came to rest in the ditch on his right.
he helplessly saw his wheel,bounce over the center grassy section seperating the north,and southbound lanes.
It jumped up high and came down into the windsheld of a car going southbound instanly killing the driver.

This has got to be about 4,or 5 years ago.
There was a long investigation that found no fault to the driver,or the trucking company.
Just a freak accident.
You can take care of your equipment on a regular basis but parts don't always last forever.

Thank goodness no one died!
With the amount of dust flying around, it looks like the tanker running the shoulder lost it's wheel.
picture16jq0.png

I know a New England Motor Freight driver in my area.
he was on his way back to his terminal after getting his route finished.
He was northbound on one of our expressways doing about 60 mph.
Suddenly his left front wheel broke off the spindel,and as he came to rest in the ditch on his right.
he helplessly saw his wheel,bounce over the center grassy section seperating the north,and southbound lanes.
It jumped up high and came down into the windsheld of a car going southbound instanly killing the driver.

This has got to be about 4,or 5 years ago.
There was a long investigation that found no fault to the driver,or the trucking company.
Just a freak accident.
You can take care of your equipment on a regular basis but parts don't always last forever.

I don't think I have read a truer statement APO !! You can only check so much on a truck & NO ONE can measure metal fatigue . You can only look for signs of something being wrong.

More than anything , I feel terrible for famlilies on both sides of a tragic occurrence like that one . The folks in the car for their loss & the truck driver & his family . You know anyone whose tractor did something like that would have to be impacted by such a terrible thing. Mentally , it would be hard to live with but, hopefully they have their faith to pull them through.