Holland | Losing Drivers

Back in the "day" you had to know somebody to get a job at Holland.....used to have drivers come up all the time asking if we were hiring. Now they have to advertise on Craigslist to try and get drivers......if you could even call them drivers. More like "wreckers" at my old barn....some pretty good stories though!

They could have kept some of us with some small changes in company policy, but they wouldn't budge. So they lost experienced drivers at a fast rate. Now they get guys who participate in the demolition derby once a week, wreck the equipment and have no customer service skills. Holland has adapted the YRCW mentality.......and that's working real good.:duh:

I liked working at Holland... I was at a decent barn with good drivers and most seemed to still care despite the YRC bullcrap. I am looking at it like this... one door closes and another one opens. I am excited for the oppurtunity at ABF. I just hope that I can close the door at ABF on my own terms, in 25 years or so. I hate job hunting and don't care to go thru anymore hiring processes anywhere, anymore.

I had hoped to never leave Holland either, however the slow decline in service priority and atmosphere was more than I could tolerate.
Good luck to you at ABF.

I liked working at Holland... I was at a decent barn with good drivers and most seemed to still care despite the YRC bullcrap. I am looking at it like this... one door closes and another one opens. I am excited for the oppurtunity at ABF. I just hope that I can close the door at ABF on my own terms, in 25 years or so. I hate job hunting and don't care to go thru anymore hiring processes anywhere, anymore.
They hired you in December...sure beats the hell out of being laid off. I hate going thru the hiring process... it simply is something I do not care to ever do again.! Benefits, retirement working in December...a win-win. Beats layoffs and a pad lock on the gate when you least expect it. Good for you.! Wish you all the best.

also heard that ALL the terminals are having people QUIT from office & supervisors & sales & drivers & dock & etc people , system wide ???

It's been going on for some time now. My old terminal just lost four more of the senior guys...I heard that seven more are waiting on start dates from other employers. Maybe the ads on craigslist will fill the openings that they now have.! Just like LS1GTO had a chance to improve himself..........gone.! We lost drivers to ABF, Wal Mart, Jack Cooper, UPS feeder drivers, ACE Hardware. Plus a few more....! and some I don't even know about.

Last edited: