Holland | Losing Drivers

Same story everywhere I guess. Supervisor said, taking all those trailers off the road, really hurt.
Saw a YRC driver dragging 1 up the road the other day, with all the lettering removed

Last Friday night at 11:30 pm we still had 21 trailers to break, no empty trailers and a dock packed with freight hard to break trailers when there is no place to put the freight coming off the trailers. It's hard to get the line haul drivers out when there was only 9 of us working. Drivers room was almost to the point of standing room only. City drivers were coming in and getting on forklifts and trying to help dig us out, but they were hitting 60 hrs and worked until they had to clock out. I didn't get to leave until 3 am. There was still a handfull of drivers waiting on there paper work....! Saturday morning at 3 am and they were just getting ready to start their work day.!!!

I have to admit that Thursday was a hard day for me.! It sunk in that it is about over, I will not miss the Holland that we have become, but to the men and women that I have worked with as a line haul driver and a city/ dock/yard, I will miss them. I am on vacation next week and I go back for three days...done. The count now is UPS 4, Wal-mart 2, Dayton freight 1 not counting the new hires that just come and go..!!

Good luck to you and enjoy it!

Good luck to you and enjoy it!

Thanks...So I just got a call from another line haul driver, he let the cat out of the bag, he will be reporting to my new employer the same day that I do.! It seems that enough is enough for quite a few of us.

Thanks...So I just got a call from another line haul driver, he let the cat out of the bag, he will be reporting to my new employer the same day that I do.! It seems that enough is enough for quite a few of us.

Quit a few as in half a dozen out of a road/city operation of what 150 drivers? = 4/10th of 1 percent. Whew not sure how your terminal stays open!

Quit a few as in half a dozen out of a road/city operation of what 150 drivers? = 4/10th of 1 percent. Whew not sure how your terminal stays open!

6 out of 150 is 4%. Your math was off a few decimal places.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forum Runner

90 days ago we were short 20 city men, we have city/dock men who go straight to the dock every day due to the shortage of tractors to drive even with the equipment we have leased. It seems never ending, we need trailers now...not later to help from clogging up the dock and slowing things down even more. The last two trailers I broke still had city returns in the nose, the other terminals couldn't break them so they sent them to us and we ship their city returns back to them...! Maybe that's the reason that some nights we have 10-25 loads on the fence that need to be broken, ...but then we don't have the line haul power to move them anyway.! Even if they could hire the drivers they need, what are they going to drive ?

Sorry I was using the metric system

I was using YRC math, 150 minus the number of drivers who stay out in the city all day. Minus the number of dock/drivers who are also burning through their 60 hrs. in record time because were covered up with freight. By Friday by 6 pm at the latest were down to about 9-10 dock only workers left to get the terminal shut down and the line haul drivers on the road. By Friday we may be getting closer to that 4% - 6% working. Every man gone just backs things up even more, just tired of the lies and BS. I received a text last night. " one more city driver and one more line haul driver quit, Dayton has issues...sending freight our way." Seating will be limited so line haul drivers best get checked in early. YRC's answer, take a bigger bonus... make those lazy teamsters work harder...! Time will tell if they get their heads out of their behinds and turn this thing around.

I was using YRC math, 150 minus the number of drivers who stay out in the city all day. Minus the number of dock/drivers who are also burning through their 60 hrs. in record time because were covered up with freight. By Friday by 6 pm at the latest were down to about 9-10 dock only workers left to get the terminal shut down and the line haul drivers on the road. By Friday we may be getting closer to that 4% - 6% working. Every man gone just backs things up even more, just tired of the lies and BS. I received a text last night. " one more city driver and one more line haul driver quit, Dayton has issues...sending freight our way." Seating will be limited so line haul drivers best get checked in early. YRC's answer, take a bigger bonus... make those lazy teamsters work harder...! Time will tell if they get their heads out of their behinds and turn this thing around.
Dayton went from being pretty reliable at getting guys out on time, to being 2-3hrs late every night, in just the past few weeks. Did they shift some freight around in Ohio?

Co,UPS 4, Wal-Mart 3, Dayton freight 1, Quality Carriers ( union tank operation ) 1, several newbe's who just left. ABF 0...! I know of several more just waiting for their paper work to be completed and they will be leaving too.! It is getting to be a joke around here, smoke and mirrors, all the liars do is to bulls*#t and act like were the ones to blame for this mess.! I had one dock walker tell me that if the line haul drivers weren't taking naps that we would be getting our loads earlier....Dahhh...I asked him that 2-3 or 4 hours late wouldn't have anything to do with them sitting and waiting on the loads? Always passing the buck and blaming the workers because management is being stupid....we can't fix stupid.! No company that I have worked for in the past ever made it after the give backs started, once the leased equipment started showing up...they closed their doors in 6 months to a year. Do I hope that the new equipment starts showing up, yes I do, to the brothers and sisters who's family's depend on the income here...I wish the very best. My two week notice will be up on this Tuesday, I had planned to work through Thursday, but it got back to me that management doesn't want me there , if I don't want to be there.! Holland was good to me, and I gave what I thought was a proper notice...but it is YRC wrapped in a Holland sheep skin.! I can only guess how much fun these last two days will be....!

Co,UPS 4, Wal-Mart 3, Dayton freight 1, Quality Carriers ( union tank operation ) 1, several newbe's who just left. ABF 0...! I know of several more just waiting for their paper work to be completed and they will be leaving too.! It is getting to be a joke around here, smoke and mirrors, all the liars do is to bulls*#t and act like were the ones to blame for this mess.! I had one dock walker tell me that if the line haul drivers weren't taking naps that we would be getting our loads earlier....Dahhh...I asked him that 2-3 or 4 hours late wouldn't have anything to do with them sitting and waiting on the loads? Always passing the buck and blaming the workers because management is being stupid....we can't fix stupid.! No company that I have worked for in the past ever made it after the give backs started, once the leased equipment started showing up...they closed their doors in 6 months to a year. Do I hope that the new equipment starts showing up, yes I do, to the brothers and sisters who's family's depend on the income here...I wish the very best. My two week notice will be up on this Tuesday, I had planned to work through Thursday, but it got back to me that management doesn't want me there , if I don't want to be there.! Holland was good to me, and I gave what I thought was a proper notice...but it is YRC wrapped in a Holland sheep skin.! I can only guess how much fun these last two days will be....!

Good luck in your future endeavors!!

Our new guy in AP actually lasted two weeks, his smile wasn't quite as big the second week though? Rumor has it another guy starting Monday, I hope it is correct we sure can use the help, the stack of bill sacks gets taller every night with no power. Sure is nice enjoying a long weekend at home with the family! Happy Fourth Guys, see you next week.

You know the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence till you get there. Different companies have different warts, I have to guess that a fella who goes to quality just because they pay into the pension is in for a rude awakening. I did that tanker stuff for 27 months a while back and it really sucks bad, I would rather be poor when I retire than go back to that crap. I guess if you don't mind sleeping in a truck Walmart pays well, I just don't care to go back to that either and that's not to mention the high deductible on the health insurance. UPS freight I am guessing is a pretty good gig, my brother in law works as a package driver and does pretty well for himself and his family. Dayton I don't know much about, I always heard that it was a good company and you can do the speed limit in there newer equipment at least. I think I would rather stick with the evil I know than go try out another company, but than I am not a young man anymore!