Holland | Losing Drivers

Well picking a plan that fits your family's needs is a whacky idea.(obamacare)

Since it's allowing me to pick a plan based on me and the wife than the family plan...thus a lower deductable ...wacky ? I simply went down the list and took everything I wanted...! vs the 15% I am better off overall. Lets see, last year with Team care, my wife has glaucoma, one pair of glasses and one pair of sunglasses...1,258. out of pocket. This year, with my vision plan it only cost 597., not only did she get designer sunglasses, but with the bi-focal lens that before I had to pay extra out of pocket for or she couldn't have them.! Her eye doctor who saved her eye sight is out of net work so I'm use to signing a check every time she goes in for a check up. Yes team care is good insurance...but it's not the only one out there...! Obama will be taxing your company paid insurance as earned income...I think it's next year but I have to read into it to see when it takes place. I know they pushed the date back once already.

I got a phone call from one of the Holland guys, former Roadway driver that got caught up in that COO about 2 or 3 years ago telling me about the 100 mil owed to the fund that got extended. I told him YRC your retirement cancelled...has done it again.! If that payment is not met...all of us will be feeling the pain from that move for years to come. He feels that the chains and pad locks will be on the gates before that note comes due. If they can't get the equipment they need...how will they last long enough to pay the 100 mil and give us back anything.? I told him that I am glad to be on the outside looking in, Being lied to and stolen from every angle is hard enough to put up with knowing that one positive effort will never come from the crooks that lead the company down this path. First it was equal sharing when we started the give backs...now it's profit sharing that will be hard to get because there is no profit to share....! I hope to hear one positive thing that is going on...it's time for the guys to get at least one thing that is going in the right direction. He said there was 4 more leaving for UPS shortly and that he was looking too.! I guess enough is enough.

I just figure the 15 percent is gone, lost forever, water under the bridge. As far as the Obamacare, my wife has a fb freind who scanned a copy of her hosptal bill and insurance benefit and posted online. She had some sort of problem in her intestines, was in hospital almost a month, bill was 192 thousand and change, benefit paid zero, kind of scarey stuff!

Well picking a plan that fits your family's needs is a whacky idea.(obamacare)

Since it's allowing me to pick a plan based on me and the wife than the family plan...thus a lower deductable ...wacky ?.
TIME OUT BROTHER! TIME OUT! TIME.......OUT! My "whacky" comment was 1000% sarcasm. Because everyone SHOULD get to pick what they want for coverage and only pay for what they need. And ObamaCare DOES NOT allow you to do that.

You didn't detect my sarcasm. My bad, I should have added {sarcasm} for those who don't know my whacky way of posting sarcasm.

My apologies.

TIME OUT BROTHER! TIME OUT! TIME.......OUT! My "whacky" comment was 1000% sarcasm. Because everyone SHOULD get to pick what they want for coverage and only pay for what they need. And ObamaCare DOES NOT allow you to do that.

You didn't detect my sarcasm. My bad, I should have added {sarcasm} for those who don't know my whacky way of posting sarcasm.

My apologies.

Mine too...my apologies.! We are all edgy over what is going on and what we all face.

I just figure the 15 percent is gone, lost forever, water under the bridge. As far as the Obamacare, my wife has a fb freind who scanned a copy of her hosptal bill and insurance benefit and posted online. She had some sort of problem in her intestines, was in hospital almost a month, bill was 192 thousand and change, benefit paid zero, kind of scarey stuff!

That 15% isn't the only thing gone! Nothing given up will come back.

The guys called me last night, to tell me that their leasing city units from Penske, picking them up on Monday and taking them back on Friday. I guess that Hogan hasn't been paid.! Daily rentals are the higher costing units...leasing by the month or longer the cost goes down. Rentals are for short term, extra units to help out, or those who have credit issues. You or I with a company name, an insurance binder in effect and a credit card can rent a truck and trailer.. I told him I guess their grabbing at straws...I can find out , I have a brother in law that works for penske in upper management, except this week he's in Reno and doesn't have his laptop with him when he's out playing. As soon as he gets back he will log on and see what's up...! He told me that he can't disclose any details but since I got my head out of the unions butt...it was the best thing I could have done.! His way of telling me what he can't openly say...! There is four drivers waiting on their start date at UPS, with four or five more in the hiring process plus three I know of who are in the application process at Wal-Mart. By the names given to me they are all 17 plus years at Holland. I wonder if Warden Ware will send his annual Christmas letter out this year...last years didn't work out when he said to get on board or leave. This year he had better be careful of what he asks for.............! There are the guys who don't expect to get the 15% back...just want the pensions back....but the 100 mil owed and payment pushed back til 2019.? I don't think I would sign the rental agreement when you pick up the rental unit.! I have also talked to quite a few guys who are still hoping and working hard to see things turn around. It would be nice to see things turn around and things improve for them, however time will tell.

I wonder if Warden Ware will send his annual Christmas letter out this year...last years didn't work out when he said to get on board or leave. This year he had better be careful of what he asks for.............!
Just over three years ago I took his advice and left. I had got tired of having the same smoke blown up my ass. And yes, he better be real careful about encouraging people to leave. Because as a former city driver, if I were to go to work for another LTL company, stealing his freight by turning in sales leads would be my number one priority.......just out of spite. And I have a feeling so will most others. To tell people to leave is just how ignorant the leadership has become there. Anyone who thinks that a disgruntled city driver can't affect his business lives in la la land.

He obviously thinks that dividing people up versus encouraging teamwork is a good strategy. He couldn't be more wrong.

Northern Flash, in today's world run by logistics companies, sales leads are not as valuable as they were 10 years ago. In fact a majority of a sale reps bill count is due to logistics companies.

Northern Flash, in today's world run by logistics companies, sales leads are not as valuable as they were 10 years ago. In fact a majority of a sale reps bill count is due to logistics companies.
That makes sense, I guess. But it was only 4 years ago that Holland had a major push (and an incentive program) with the city drivers, to bring back sales leads each day. So it appears as though they thought they could gain business.
Just sayin'.

That makes sense, I guess. But it was only 4 years ago that Holland had a major push (and an incentive program) with the city drivers, to bring back sales leads each day. So it appears as though they thought they could gain business.
Just sayin'.

And they still are, to a point. Logistics companies are slowly taking over the role of a sales rep. Maybe the day will never come where sales reps. are obsolete, who knows.

The salesmen where I worked wouldn't follow up on a lead anyway......and we proved it. So we just stopped turning them in. So if they become obsolete, they get what they deserved.

I may be way off base here, but I thought I would see what you guys think about my theory....I have worked for another company previously that had the idea thst the old timers cost too much in vacation pay and get sick and hurt more causing higher insurance costs. The younger guys arevoften easier to talk into voting for MOUs and often don't have as strong of union ties, often because retirement is so far down the road. My question....is it possible they smile every time a guy with twenty or thirty years seniority jumps ship because they just think they saved money? I say think because when that young guy screws up all the savings are down the drain, but it looks good on paper, and isn't that the YRC way, just make the numbers look good on paper.

I won't get into the young versus old argument because in my opinion it's about the individual......and age works as a positive at times and can also work as a negative at times. Stereotypes cause inaccurate assessments in my opinion.

I may be way off base here, but I thought I would see what you guys think about my theory....I have worked for another company previously that had the idea thst the old timers cost too much in vacation pay and get sick and hurt more causing higher insurance costs. The younger guys arevoften easier to talk into voting for MOUs and often don't have as strong of union ties, often because retirement is so far down the road. My question....is it possible they smile every time a guy with twenty or thirty years seniority jumps ship because they just think they saved money? I say think because when that young guy screws up all the savings are down the drain, but it looks good on paper, and isn't that the YRC way, just make the numbers look good on paper.
At my barn the older more senior drivers outwork the bottom 25% by a long shot. The quality of drivers we have hired over the past 3 years is **** poor to say the least. They bring back freight every day, miss pickups, avoid the dock etc. This company is in real trouble when the senior guys start pulling the pin which most can do at any time they want.

:draw:
At my barn the older more senior drivers outwork the bottom 25% by a long shot. The quality of drivers we have hired over the past 3 years is **** poor to say the least. They bring back freight every day, miss pickups, avoid the dock etc. This company is in real trouble when the senior guys start pulling the pin which most can do at any time they want.

Same at our barn too!!! All you can do is just sit and shake your head!!!

The same thing at our place to half the new guys stand around at night and bull**** or either talk on the phone. We even got a letter from a customer we drop trailers at yesterday and he said he couldn't believe it when he seen a Holland driver come in with his hat sideways and his pants hanging off his butt, not professional at all in his opinion. I guess you get what you pay for. On a lighter note I got the call yesterday from my new employer after labor day I am done. 15 years down the tubes thanks to YRC. Good luck to all at Holland. Maybe YRC will sell the regionals one day and this place can return to what it once was.

The same thing at our place to half the new guys stand around at night and bull**** or either talk on the phone. We even got a letter from a customer we drop trailers at yesterday and he said he couldn't believe it when he seen a Holland driver come in with his hat sideways and his pants hanging off his butt, not professional at all in his opinion. I guess you get what you pay for. On a lighter note I got the call yesterday from my new employer after labor day I am done. 15 years down the tubes thanks to YRC. Good luck to all at Holland. Maybe YRC will sell the regionals one day and this place can return to what it once was.
Lucky dog! Good luck, wish i could find something else!

If it's the one I saw last week, he was in uniform proudly showing off his orange YRC under ware.! They can't hire the best but yrc gets the rest, this guy looked like he was on work release from county lock up.! Vote no the next time around...wonder if this guy could spell NO.! I will say that at Huron, Ohio...PPG, I did see a brand new trailer...in the drop yard.! Just think that new trailer pulling into a customers lot, hooked to a sterling with this driver climbing out of the cab.....priceless..!!!

Hotrodd, good luck at the new job, puts a whole new out look on things. I know that my old barn is still losing drivers to UPS and Wal-Mart, when you have men leaving with 10,15 20 years, something has to give sooner or later.