FedEx Freight | Losing Your Job

The driver shortage is more of a "qualified" driver shortage, someone with experience, a good work and driving history, not on drugs.

You can find guys to fill the seats but it doesn't mean they aren't a huge liability, oops double negative, oh well.

FM

been in that position

hammerhead said:
wouldnt it be easier for fedex to asorb the employees of a small terminal,rather than a break bulk.
Your operation is going to get alot more business. LOOSING JOBS, heck your going to be hiring more people. As stated on company website, we (fxf) will still be handling same freight 1 and 2 day and you guys will be going after 3 days and more. This will enable both operations to get much larger cause we be won't bog down with what we can't handle, then it will enable us to go after the freight that each company specializes in. Thats why I say YRCW better look out for you guys cause you are gonna be all up in there bread and butter now that you have the backing of Fedex and there pocket book.:bgroovy: :smilie_132: :wavey:

I was told by the President of FedEx freight last night that "everyone will be offered a job. We need everyone of you guys and then some." They also talked about a 45% increase in business by the peak. Hello sales blitz.

I have also heard the same thing as Huckleberry. I heard they will take all wml city guys and put them at the bottom of our city boards, if they want to. We haven't hired a driver for 2 months in expectation of this. We are also putting on more linehaul drivers to cover the new freight flow. Also word of some of the freight terminals taking over existing wml terminals. Freight is a good place to work. City is ok almost no ot in our barn. You just have to get use to some strange rules.

fedexfreight02 said:
I have also heard the same thing as Huckleberry. I heard they will take all wml city guys and put them at the bottom of our city boards, if they want to. We haven't hired a driver for 2 months in expectation of this. We are also putting on more linehaul drivers to cover the new freight flow. Also word of some of the freight terminals taking over existing wml terminals. Freight is a good place to work. City is ok almost no ot in our barn. You just have to get use to some strange rules.

From what I've read and heard, both companies were being run seperatly.

This is right from the FedEx press release:

"FedEx Corp. will acquire the assets of Watkins Motor Lines, including its U.S. domestic and Canadian operations. Following the close of the transaction, the new entity will function as a separate operating division within FedEx Freight and will be rebranded FedEx National LTL. "

FEDEX NATIONAL-- will stay a seperarate working company,they cant combine the 2 companies because too many folks would loose out because of seniority,i really dont see it happin, but big business can do anything it chooses too do,look what happened to C.F.!!!!

I got recomfirmation from Clay last night. No combination between us and Freight. There will be Freight and National terminals across the street from each other, and Freight and National trucks backed up to the same dock side by side delivering and picking up freight.

Huckleberry said:
I got recomfirmation from Clay last night. No combination between us and Freight. There will be Freight and National terminals across the street from each other, and Freight and National trucks backed up to the same dock side by side delivering and picking up freight.
And we're not for sale..... lol.

FM:tribehasspoken: :rolleyes:

I have no idea what it will mean for Watkins employees but if you read the press release you see that FedEx purchased the assets of WML and Watkins Canada. It does not say they bought the business or employees.

This could mean nothing but it's worth paying attention to.
Read the press release here:
http://fedexnational.van.fedex.com/article1.html

Good luck to all involved

Familyman said:
And we're not for sale..... lol.

FM:tribehasspoken: :rolleyes:
I don't remember ever being told we would never be sold. All that was ever said was that they would not speculate on rumors. That is understandable since anyone on the acquisition team that leaked info could be prosecuted and jailed. Things are going to change. That can't be argued, but I think the changes will be for the better. Isn't it better to hook up with the best big player on the scene rather than be run out of business within the next decade by the 4 or 5 big boys that will be left?

I guess, for the most part I will say goodbye to this forum. After reading some of the rules posted on another board I found myself breaking the rules somewhat. I am no longer a employee of WML or the LTL part of the trucking business. I wish all the Employees of WML ( FedEx Natl.) all the best in the world and to a brighter future at FedEx Corp.

:wavey:
mrblanche said:
It's commonly said there is an 80,000 driver shortage. I think, personally, that that just means the companies would like to put on 80,000 more trucks. But there are NOT 40,000-80,000 loads per day sitting on docks not being shipped. At the end of the day, it all gets moved, so my (again, PERSONAL!) opinion is that there is exactly a zero driver shortage.
not exactly where you are getting your info from, yet i do respect your opinion. if you were to look @ newspaper adds, different state worksource resources, union hall resources,company recruiters and other etc,, you will find out that there is a massive shortage of drivers. :bgroovy: that is a present drivers good news because it helps the driver pay increase as well as other incentives`:duh:

fr8rookie said:
I guess, for the most part I will say goodbye to this forum. After reading some of the rules posted on another board I found myself breaking the rules somewhat. I am no longer a employee of WML or the LTL part of the trucking business. I wish all the Employees of WML ( FedEx Natl.) all the best in the world and to a brighter future at FedEx Corp.
You can still hang, we have folks from lots of different occupations here not all are drivers.

Where did you move on to? Long haul or another contractor deal?

Good luck in what ever it is, and drop by often, we'll leave a light on>

FM

is57racer

ls57racer said:
My concern is not job loss , it is will they combine the driver work force, if so how will it be done? Will Watkins drivers be put at the bottom of the board or will they blend senority. Personaaly i stand to loose big bucks either way, seeing i'm on a high mileage single run that i wouldn't be able to hold IF WE ARE SOLD unless we are left as is.
the way it was explained to us at fedex that watkins will continue to operate just like they have been doing for years the only change you will see in the next 2 years will be the name change and like the other guy said watkins will have a few of there people on the board of directors but as we have already seen they wont be there long. so you have no worries i think you guys will be ok.

10 speed said:
the way it was explained to us at fedex that watkins will continue to operate just like they have been doing for years the only change you will see in the next 2 years will be the name change and like the other guy said watkins will have a few of there people on the board of directors but as we have already seen they wont be there long. so you have no worries i think you guys will be ok.
Hey Ten Speed the post you referenced was posted b-4 the buy out annoucement. Many things have come to lite since then but thanks for your input........ guess we will continue in the wait and see mode huh.......:silenced:

Familyman said:
You can still hang, we have folks from lots of different occupations here not all are drivers.

Where did you move on to? Long haul or another contractor deal?

Good luck in what ever it is, and drop by often, we'll leave a light on>

FM

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :tribehasspoken: :nutkick:

if you guys are being informed of any information, they said theyll need all of us and then some. buisness is projected to grow 25% the first year!!

roadpig said:
I noticed here in my local (Charlotte Observer) newspaper want ads ,that Watkins has a recruiting drive going on . Whats up with that?
Might be to cover expected increases in volume, or to cover vacancies left by contractors who didn't want to become co drivers.

FM