Ltl carriers that teach doubles and triples

Drake L.

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm working for averitt as a truck load driver, about to get city driver position soon, but I want to get a job that is local ltl and teaches and requires double/triple. I want to get into ups as a seasonal feeder driver and have all the knowledge I can get to have a better chance at getting full time. What y'all think??

I'm working for averitt as a truck load driver, about to get city driver position soon, but I want to get a job that is local ltl and teaches and requires double/triple. I want to get into ups as a seasonal feeder driver and have all the knowledge I can get to have a better chance at getting full time. What y'all think??
People I know that have gotten hired at ups, usually are trained by them on their equipment, the way they want you to do it. If you have enough experience driving to get hired by them, I would guess you would get training from them too. They are very insistent
on you driving their equipment, their way. Doubles are no big deal. Hooking them properly to me is, the biggest learning. Good luck.

nearly any LTL you hire on with will "teach you". as long as you have the doubles endorsement, which nearly all of them require.

although this is NOT a union board, i will say this much, i worked for NEMF out of 02. i was in Elizabeth, NJ (the home terminal at the time). i was about ready to leave to come back home. another driver, did not have the doubles endorsement, (and he was a driver from another terminal) for at least 6 months. (and IN the union) and he down right said, he "refuses to get the endorsement".

dispatch was about to give me the doubles, and i yapped about it, that we are ALL REQUIRED to have the doubles endorsement, and that acehole doesn't...???? i "pulled rank" with my seniority, and got a 53 footer instead. the Elizabeth shop steward was there in fact, as i was biotching, and he stood by me as i was right.

needless to say, that driver, he didn't like me after that, but screw it, if WE ALL HAVE TO HAVE the endorsement, that meant him too..>!!!

I put in a grievance to the union (at thier HQ, as he was NOT complying with the union/company rules regarding the endorsement). i had heard that driver quit after that.

again, screw him.

nearly any LTL you hire on with will "teach you". as long as you have the doubles endorsement, which nearly all of them require.

although this is NOT a union board, i will say this much, i worked for NEMF out of 02. i was in Elizabeth, NJ (the home terminal at the time). i was about ready to leave to come back home. another driver, did not have the doubles endorsement, (and he was a driver from another terminal) for at least 6 months. (and IN the union) and he down right said, he "refuses to get the endorsement".

dispatch was about to give me the doubles, and i yapped about it, that we are ALL REQUIRED to have the doubles endorsement, and that acehole doesn't...???? i "pulled rank" with my seniority, and got a 53 footer instead. the Elizabeth shop steward was there in fact, as i was biotching, and he stood by me as i was right.

needless to say, that driver, he didn't like me after that, but screw it, if WE ALL HAVE TO HAVE the endorsement, that meant him too..>!!!

I put in a grievance to the union (at thier HQ, as he was NOT complying with the union/company rules regarding the endorsement). i had heard that driver quit after that.

again, screw him.
Sounds like he can't read lol, there's nothing to the tests at all. You got to be a dumb ass if you can't/won't take a simple 25 question test lol.

People I know that have gotten hired at ups, usually are trained by them on their equipment, the way they want you to do it. If you have enough experience driving to get hired by them, I would guess you would get training from them too. They are very insistent
on you driving their equipment, their way. Doubles are no big deal. Hooking them properly to me is, the biggest learning. Good luck.
So do you think it would be fine if I just continued with my driving now, instead of looking for a company that will train me.

So do you think it would be fine if I just continued with my driving now, instead of looking for a company that will train me.
The sooner you get to a company that you want to retire from the better you will be in the end. If you stated that you have the endorsement I missed it. There really isn't much to doubles and they are not as difficult at it appears. Hooking and unhooking them is common sense. And if you get jammed up where you can't get turned around you earn about an hour's worth of work tearing them apart and getting them turned around. If you came to ABF with the license and no experience they might send you to a school for a week or two to play with them, or they might just put you on the street after watching you hook and unhook them in the yard, depending on the alignment of the planets.

Sounds like he can't read lol, there's nothing to the tests at all. You got to be a dumb ass if you can't/won't take a simple 25 question test lol.
i know, and it was cheaper back then to get all the endorsements.

i can see someone not wanting a job that has them, but when you apply for a job that indeed DOES have them, you'd better be prepared to get it or get out. i held my union to the letter on that requirement, and why not.>?? if we all had to have it, so did he, or like i said, get the hell out, which obviously he did.

The sooner you get to a company that you want to retire from the better you will be in the end. If you stated that you have the endorsement I missed it. There really isn't much to doubles and they are not as difficult at it appears. Hooking and unhooking them is common sense. And if you get jammed up where you can't get turned around you earn about an hour's worth of work tearing them apart and getting them turned around. If you came to ABF with the license and no experience they might send you to a school for a week or two to play with them, or they might just put you on the street after watching you hook and unhook them in the yard, depending on the alignment of the planets.
when i was at NEMF, i never did the doubles. i told my dispatcher that, he said no problem, you can have some help and the other driver is going where you are, so he will be with you.

he showed me how to hook up, then he said, let's go!! and off i went. got to Elizabeth, no white knuckles mind you, he helped me unhook and showed me where to place the dolly and the trailers, then we got our single trailers and came back. that was the extent of my ":training"....lol

If you work for Averitt why not just stay there? They are a great company. If you go to UPS, UPS freight, old Dominion,or Fedex Freight for doubles I think you are crazy. Most will put you on nights.

If you work for Averitt why not just stay there? They are a great company. If you go to UPS, UPS freight, old Dominion,or Fedex Freight for doubles I think you are crazy. Most will put you on nights.

And you will be on house arrest, waiting for the phone to ring.

I want to work for the best company possible, at all cost. I'm not looking for easy I'm looking for hard. My goal is $100,000 a year and I've set my path sir.

I want to work for the best company possible, at all cost. I'm not looking for easy I'm looking for hard. My goal is $100,000 a year and I've set my path sir.

$100,000 a year is a far reach considering you will be coming in from the bottom. That means you need to be knocking down a 550 mile per day run five days a week. If you live near a Harris Teeter you can make $100,000 by your third-year there. LTL is not going to pay you that from the bottom it may take you six or seven years to get to a position where you make $100,000 a year. I made $94,000 one year but I was hauling United States mail for Beam Brothers to New York City and I was gone 70 hours a week.

Good luck on your quest, you have set the bar high. It's not impossible but it's also possible for you to become an NBA or NFL star too.

Go to Walmart then, if you qualify by their criteria. Run out your hours each week , and you will make a 100 a year

And Walmart women :encouragement:
walmart-woman-e1302868453747.jpg