LTL in Atlanta

atldrivah

TB Lurker
Credits
hey guys, brand new member here so pardon me if this is the wrong place to post or has been covered. Simple question really. Which LTL company would you recommend I start with? I drive flatbed now, home weekends and make about 60k+. I'd like to make that or more my 2st year in LTL. Most importantly, I'd like to be home as much as possible, at least daily. I have young children and the regional gig is just not enough home time. I'll be on the east side of the city (Stone Mountain) so pretty close to most the LTL companies. I'd prefer to do line haul but can start with P&D if I need to. Who could I start with and make good money right away? I know some of these guys have extra boards or whatever but I need full time work. I've applied to OD and plan on applying to all of them. Any advice helps, thanks.

hey guys, brand new member here so pardon me if this is the wrong place to post or has been covered. Simple question really. Which LTL company would you recommend I start with? I drive flatbed now, home weekends and make about 60k+. I'd like to make that or more my 2st year in LTL. Most importantly, I'd like to be home as much as possible, at least daily. I have young children and the regional gig is just not enough home time. I'll be on the east side of the city (Stone Mountain) so pretty close to most the LTL companies. I'd prefer to do line haul but can start with P&D if I need to. Who could I start with and make good money right away? I know some of these guys have extra boards or whatever but I need full time work. I've applied to OD and plan on applying to all of them. Any advice helps, thanks.
OD, Fed Ex, XPO non union
ABF, Holland, UPS Freight,YRC. Union carriers
You should be able to at least get a road job to start at most all of these carriers. If you can run a forklift, and know something about loading LTL freight, make sure you put it on your resume. Take a city job if offered in my opinion. Can always usually switch to road. You will probably have to work 2-3 years to get to full scale anywhere you go. Union, or non union.

thanks for the reply. does city offer a more consistent schedule to start or is there an extra board on the city side as well? I hear OD and UPS are top notch, do they all pay about the same in the long run? Also, I'm assuming switching from one board to another means you lose all your seniority.

thanks for the reply. does city offer a more consistent schedule to start or is there an extra board on the city side as well? I hear OD and UPS are top notch, do they all pay about the same in the long run? Also, I'm assuming switching from one board to another means you lose all your seniority.
City would offer start times. Road is usually where your extra board is. In my opinion,once you compare insurance,pension,and W-2’s, most will be similar in that union drivers usually pay little for health insurance,while some non unions pay higher wages,but pay for parts of their insurance. At years end in many cases it is not that far apart. OD,and UPS Freight are strong,as is Fed Ex,and ABF,will be in business for a long time in the future. Holland and YRC are both part of YRC Worldwide. You would be fine with any of these companies.