Averitt | LTL Shuttle Bid Procedures

ltl lifer

Sr. Citizen & Gold Member
Credits
We just recently held a system-wide bid for shuttle. It went in to effect Oct 19.

I want some knowledgeable expertise of the following scenario:

A particular bid is cancelled 2 weeks into bid. A middle of the board driver is on that bid.

So close to the recent bid becoming effective, what happens? I am quite sure that I know what should happen but the "rule makers" at the local level cannot give a cogent answer, even after all of these years and we know that all terminals handle it differently.

My way of looking is that since we are within the first month of the bids going active, a run is cut, a rebid occurs. If it was within a month of the next company-wide bid, the driver would run unassigned until bid time.

The driver that is affected in this scenario is convinced he will have to run unassigned and I disagree. He can force a rebid. Since the bids are so new, I doubt that anyone above him in seniority will want to change, the bid can start with him and go down.

CM....how would this be done at your house? Others, how is it done at your house?

Sadly, there is NOTHING in writing that speaks to any of this, and as a result, every terminal does it as they see fit and does it differently.

No, they did not. The powers that be decided it was too much of a PITA.

I wish I could answer your shuttle question, but I'm sure Ice(CM) will. I asked about the city side because we didn't either. I don't like the part about each terminal having it's own dictatorship, it allows for favoritism too easily. All I want is a fair workplace but you don't have such when management is allowed such freedom to have family working for family, mangers hiring friends and promising special favors.. One knows better than to say anything because they will quickly work against whatever you want and just make life difficult. AE has a rule that no one can be recorded without their knowledge for a reason, though it's not illegal it will get you terminated, they also don't want to know anything anonymously, every phone has caller id, remember that if you call the "open line". Unfortunately I think that the bid process will be looked at as a privilege if anything is taken to corporate, a process that each terminal is allowed to do as they want.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would and has in the past called for a full rebid, being it was so soon after the bid process.

That would and has in the past called for a full rebid, being it was so soon after the bid process.

I agree but that's the difference in your house and my house.

How wide is that window of opportunity? Is it within the first 30 days of the bid?
I would answer yes to the above but our manager is a douche.

Well our TM and ops mgr (if you want to call them that) try to tell all of these drivers that they can't do it for whatever reason they think the drivers will buy. I don't buy it for a second. It could be done on a daily basis if they wanted to.

Seniority has it's advantages. I'm not changing my bid so everyone below me can worry about it. Pick your battles as they say.