XPO | LTU and the union

Only pointing out that things are different region to region. And even terminal to terminal. He has a completely different perspective.

Just a truck driver meaning that maybe I would make more if I cured cancer. This job has an income ceiling.

With his resume. I would move. Pack up the kids. Atlanta isn't any good for us any more. He has been around. He chooses to stay where he is. Could easily double his income if he wanted. $45K a year. Pass.

Maybe the fact that drivers work the FAC is why we are making money and everyone else isn't? Less employees to pay and no wait time. Isn't Fed Ex going to our model of FAC? We must be doing something right.
Come on white shirt. Really? Get your facts together man. You want facts? I remember a fact quite well. Your kids were flipping rear boxes over into the ditch on just about a nightly basis, when you first implemented the glorious "freight assembly center". I don't blame the drivers. They were just doing what they had to do. Just one of many examples of how Conway will ride the edge to squeeze another dime to the profit margin at their employees expense. Another tool in the arsenal to break away from anything that resembles the National Master Freight Agreement. IMO line drivers should never have to perform dock work. Keep the contractors and Truck Load out of the terminals and there will be plenty of wind shield time for everyone. TE out...

Come on white shirt. Really? Get your facts together man. You want facts? I remember a fact quite well. Your kids were flipping rear boxes over into the ditch on just about a nightly basis, when you first implemented the glorious "freight assembly center". I don't blame the drivers. They were just doing what they had to do. Just one of many examples of how Conway will ride the edge to squeeze another dime to the profit margin at their employees expense. Another tool in the arsenal to break away from anything that resembles the National Master Freight Agreement. IMO line drivers should never have to perform dock work. Keep the contractors and Truck Load out of the terminals and there will be plenty of wind shield time for everyone. TE out...
con-way truckload must've taken your load again last night..

con-way truckload must've taken your load again last night..

Bet you'd be pissed as hell if Truckload took YOUR load tho... I live in an area with an FAC 37 miles from my SIC. Unless you have more than 5 years seniority in this company, if you want to run linehaul (or are forced like our bottom 2) you are running to Atlanta. Which means you get your hooks last since you have the shortest distance to travel, you hook and drive 37 miles and then drop. You are then just a dock worker for 4-5 hours until, if you are VERY VERY VERY lucky you get a via to Savannah, Dothan, or Augusta. If you are just somewhat lucky you get a via to Macon. If it's a normal night (we're talking over 95% of the time) they hand you your hooks at about 2 am and you drive 39 miles back (don't know how there's a difference of 2 miles in the distance but there is) and drop. So you've been on duty for about 6 hours at this point. We have way too many guys on inbound, so you then get sent home. Sound like fun to you? The more sub-service this company adds, the more of our freight gets diverted to Atlanta to be loaded on a longbox, thus creating more linehaul runs that are 37 miles and less runs that actually allow you to make a living. But that VPP payment will make up for the loss in income, right??

Only pointing out that things are different region to region. And even terminal to terminal. He has a completely different perspective.

Just a truck driver meaning that maybe I would make more if I cured cancer. This job has an income ceiling.

With his resume. I would move. Pack up the kids. Atlanta isn't any good for us any more. He has been around. He chooses to stay where he is. Could easily double his income if he wanted. $45K a year. Pass.

My wife is a teacher in Gwinnett county. Has been for almost 10 years. She doesn't pay into social security, she pays into the GA teacher retirement system. So if we move, what she's paid in and her vestment in the retirement system (which is not union) doesn't follow us. Plus, we're 10 miles from her folks. You think I'm packing up and leaving any time soon? Doubt it, as much as I'd like to. But like an earlier post said, why should my services mean less to this company because I live here and they don't have to "worry" about the union down here in the good ol' sunny south. I do put my pants on the same way as every other DSR in this company, and I give it 110% every day. So what makes me worth less?

But like an earlier post said, why should my services mean less to this company because I live here and they don't have to "worry" about the union down here in the good ol' sunny south. I do put my pants on the same way as every other DSR in this company, and I give it 110% every day. So what makes me worth less?

You aren't worth less, the local market makes your job worth less or theirs worth more, depending upon your perspective.

Why should your coworker in Manhattan have to live off of rice and beans while you feast on filet mignon when you are doing the same job? If it takes me $50/hr to acquire and retain the quality employee, then that's what I pay. If I could get it done for $30/hr, I would; just as my employee making $50/hr would go elsewhere if he could get $70/hr.

You aren't worth less, the local market makes your job worth less or theirs worth more, depending upon your perspective.

Why should your coworker in Manhattan have to live off of rice and beans while you feast on filet mignon when you are doing the same job? If it takes me $50/hr to acquire and retain the quality employee, then that's what I pay. If I could get it done for $30/hr, I would; just as my employee making $50/hr would go elsewhere if he could get $70/hr.
That's basically nonsence, rice and beans vs filet mignon? In theory, in the economics class 101, class please turn your books to page 10. Lets get back to the real world, Do you really think it costs less to live in the south somewhere, compared to somewhere in the north? It might cost more to live in a city compared to out in the country, maybe. The pay difference has to do with the union. CCX gave us the exact pay and benifit package that CF and the teamsters had or pretty dang close. Because that was how they kept the union out. They didn't have to worry about that near as much in the south, that's why they get paid less down there. And as the union gets weaker, so does are pay and benifit package. Once the union is wiped out and you guy's are happy, you will then be the ones complaining because you are worth a litte rice and a few beans because that's what the markets say you are worth.

Oh yeah, that whole "cost of living" thing that they have been saying over and over like the talking heads that they are up in corporate. Yeah, it costs a lot to live in Manhattan, but I doubt that any drivers here are living in a building on Central Park West. I live in the metrto Atlanta area. It's not like I'm living in a tar paper shack in lower Alabama! The cost of living around here isn't exactly peanuts.

That's basically nonsence, rice and beans vs filet mignon? In theory, in the economics class 101, class please turn your books to page 10. Lets get back to the real world, Do you really think it costs less to live in the south somewhere, compared to somewhere in the north?

Oh yeah, that whole "cost of living" thing that they have been saying over and over like the talking heads that they are up in corporate. Yeah, it costs a lot to live in Manhattan, but I doubt that any drivers here are living in a building on Central Park West. I live in the metrto Atlanta area. It's not like I'm living in a tar paper shack in lower Alabama! The cost of living around here isn't exactly peanuts.

I don't know that anybody is painting it a North vs. South thing. There are cheap areas in the North and there are expensive areas in the South. I'm only illustrating that the local cost of living is a factor. You either have to pay enough for folks to live locally or enough to attract people willing to endure the commute.

As far as my rice and beans vs. filet mignon comparison; it's a difference of about $900/month in food budget. Apply that extra $900/mo towards housing in the San Fransisco Bay area vs. DesMoines or Detroit, see how far you get.

Come on guys. Even Wal-mart pays alot more up here than down there. And there isn't any union to worry about in retail. And if you go out west it is even more. Regional factors do exist.

Come on guys. Even Wal-mart pays alot more up here than down there. And there isn't any union to worry about in retail. And if you go out west it is even more. Regional factors do exist.

I'd put my monthly bills, property taxes, variable expenses and such up against anyone for comparison. And you want to tell me that a driver in, say Dayton OH or Clearfield PA has a cost of living like Atlanta? They have the same pay package as Jersey and NY does.

I'd put my monthly bills, property taxes, variable expenses and such up against anyone for comparison. And you want to tell me that a driver in, say Dayton OH or Clearfield PA has a cost of living like Atlanta? They have the same pay package as Jersey and NY does.

those xlf boys make a killing,especially the ones running into XNJ..probably making 100k easy

Hey convict, rumor is that LTU driver that attacked that person, while on duty, in Olathe ks, ended up emptying his bill fold in fines and court costs? C'mon dude , u always know what's up down there! Did he keep his job?

Hey convict, rumor is that LTU driver that attacked that person, while on duty, in Olathe ks, ended up emptying his bill fold in fines and court costs? C'mon dude , u always know what's up down there! Did he keep his job?

Well to be honest I can't see how he pulled this off , but yes he did keep his job . This guy went around telling this wild ass story that he was so innocent and couldn't believe that he was caught up in this mess and the other person attacked him while all this action was caught on the qt store cameras ... What ever ! Anyway as of two week ago he entered and guilty plea in oletha city courthouse to battery . From what I read he received a $500. Fine for the assault, probation - plus fees, has to attended an anger management class and after that he has to have mental evaluation test at the cost of $474. Bucks . This doesn't include court cost or lawyers fees if he had one which I'm sure he did. Just goes to show if you kiss the right ass at con job you can get away with anything ! And yeah this is the same guy that turned his set over two months later and still has a job ... Must have 9 lives , well 7 now .