XPO | Maintenance Issues

Nah, EBITDA that's not it. Guys go around complaining too much about all the broken load bars to management. Sooooooooooooo...management wants to put a stop to all the dsr whining by telling guys to fix the garbage equipment and shut up already. You really don't think for one second that management is gonna go grab a wrench and fix ss do you? Or come up w/ a plan for a 3rd party contractor to fix them ? I really don't have to fix any of the broken ss. I could just easily let the broken stuff stay broken and not say anything to an fos about broken ss when I come across them:(by the way I'll bet my retirement pay that 99.8% of guys ignore broken ss when they come across them).. But seeing how they've told us in our pre-shift briefings that we should fix them when we come across them...I fix them when I come across them. It's on them if the real meaningful part of my job , moving freight, doesn't get done.

But it hurts your numbers, and numbers are king.

But it hurts your numbers, and numbers are king.

True...but like I said before in a previous post on this subject, if they call me to the carpet on my falling production numbers, (i.e. declining MM's per hour, not making the minimum of 10), then they are gonna hear it from me about stopping the stripping of I/b trailers to fix load bars. Hey, maybe they'll then tell me to knock off the ss maintenance, or tell me to fix them faster. Either way...it's their call cause I can't be superman. It's one job at a time, this one or that one... certainly not both w/ any kind of productive efficiency.

I do have one question on this. Why do we have mechanics and shops??? What do they do?
What I saying is if a trailer goes to the shop for service why aren't they checking these and when they try to open the door they can fix that too. A lot of trailer I see it is the track in the wall that's mess up not the bars.
The only reason I say this in one night I ask the shop at an FAC if they could replace my fuel filter and was told it was a drivers job. Now at my barn we don't have a shop and I know I have to do it there but come on what are we paying them to do?

Last edited:
I do have one question on this. Why do we have mechanics and shops??? What do they do?
What I saying is if a trailer goes to the shop for service why aren't they checking these and when they try to open the door they can fix that too. A lot of trailer I see it is the track in the wall that's mess up not the bars.
The only reason I say this in one night I ask the shop at an FAC if they could replace my fuel filter and was told it was a drivers job. Now at my barn we don't have a shop and I know I have to do it there but come on what are we paying them to do?

Hell, I remember a list coming out sometime ago of what the drivers are responsible for. Hung in the drivers a shack forever. Then them lean cucks eighty six'ed it. Might even be on employee portal. I have never changed any filter in any horse I have used. We don't even have them type of filters in our drivers shack at my barn. These mechanics excell at doing next to nothing. Central freight is rolling cleaner than us these days. Keep writing it up in the 8300 even if they tell you to stop, because they are aware of the situation (C.Y.A.). Let the brass know your concern, next time it goes to pm. If the issue is not addressed in a timely fashion, call the safety guy. Nothing worse then a dead horse in the middle of the road.

Last edited:
Hell, I remember a list coming out sometime ago of what the drivers are responsible for. Hung in the drivers a shack forever. Then them lean cucks eighty six'ed it. Might even be on employee portal. I have never changed any filter in any horse I have used. We don't even have them type of filters in our drivers shack at my barn. These mechanics excell at doing next to nothing. Central freight is rolling cleaner than us these days. Keep writing it up in the 8300 even if they tell you to stop, because they are aware of the situation (C.Y.A.). Let the brass know your concern, next time it goes to pm. If the issue is not addressed in a timely fashion, call the safety guy. Nothing worse then a dead horse in the middle of the road.
Something is going on.....

I have a shop at my location so I'm lucky. Our guys fix anything you need, drivers come through on vias, same thing. We are lucky to have them. Other shops not so much. If you have a flat at some shop locations, they want to call a vendor to fix it. Looks like I'll be swinging that 20 bill breaker. I'm sure it's tough to get things fixed at locations w/o a shop.

Safe stack sme's are no more. As Is always the the case here at xpo(formerly con-way), we start "programs" and don't maintain them. We have the tools and beams at my home sic, and beams do get replaced sometimes. But at the fac's I run to, you find bits and pieces of bars and no tools, so forget about it. Bars held up with straps, missing or bent to crap like you say. Same here as far as maintenance issues vp. Years ago, we shared a full time con-way employed maintenance guy. He fixed most things and got someone to fix what he couldn't. Haven't had that in six or more years. Now it's like pulling teeth to get stuff fixed, but I'm just a driver and most things don't affect me. As far as motors, we have a shop so we always have enough to go around. However, we also have some pretty old, nasty ones that should definatly be retired. Perhaps I could send them your way for you to use in a pinch!?
When you expanded your building (maybe 8 years ago), it didn't take long for the concrete to go bad. When I via at your place, I definatly watch my step when hooking, you've got some craters out there. I personally think thing will get much worse bifore(or if) they get better. I am very thankful that we have a shop, at least for now.

Just got a briefing from our I/b super that our tm is gonna get a contractor to patch up our crumbling trailer pad to get us through this up coming winter. Then in the Spring , there will be major reconstruction of the whole pad. All of it will be ripped out and re-poured w/ quality concrete this time. Maybe someone from corporate read about the mess we're having here and initiated some help:but then maybe the repair work was already in the works. I'd like to think that management reads TBoards and takes appropriate action to legitimate concerns that we drivers have, or not.

I have a shop at my location so I'm lucky. Our guys fix anything you need, drivers come through on vias, same thing. We are lucky to have them. Other shops not so much. If you have a flat at some shop locations, they want to call a vendor to fix it. Looks like I'll be swinging that 20 bill breaker. I'm sure it's tough to get things fixed at locations w/o a shop.

Yeah D...you should be thankful for your shop. You know where your shop came from? That right... 50 miles to your east. When ccx came into NE we had the 1st FAC and shop right here. Then your facility was bigger so everything got kicked out to your way. Still have a mechanic named Andy there ?

Yeah D...you should be thankful for your shop. You know where your shop came from? That right... 50 miles to your east. When ccx came into NE we had the 1st FAC and shop right here. Then your facility was bigger so everything got kicked out to your way. Still have a mechanic named Andy there ?
Yes, but now he's the boss. Interesting that you guys had the shop. A lot of barns have a garage of sorts for equipment.