ABF | Major carrier (ABF) to start charging California compliance surcharge

Several years I asked a company VP if it was even profitable to move freight within California borders. I suggested trucking companies should drop freight in Phoenix, Reno etc. & let the state worry about how to supply consumers with goods necessary for industry & essentials for humans.
The company has been required to spend untold millions to just meet safety & emission standards.

Well,....anyone who drove through L.A in the '80's could tell you the reason they have those emission standards,.....Especially on one of those weather inversion days.......

Living here near Pittsburgh, I know a thing or two about smog. There's a town about 10 miles south of PGH. called Donora that actually had a cloud of sulfuric acid form and move through the town killing more than 20 people. Sounds like science fiction, but it's true. Of course, that was back in the '50's when all the steel mills in the Mon valley were running full blast, as it were.

We don't have that problem now......

Well,....anyone who drove through L.A in the '80's could tell you the reason they have those emission standards,.....Especially on one of those weather inversion days.......

Living here near Pittsburgh, I know a thing or two about smog. There's a town about 10 miles south of PGH. called Donora that actually had a cloud of sulfuric acid form and move through the town killing more than 20 people. Sounds like science fiction, but it's true. Of course, that was back in the '50's when all the steel mills in the Mon valley were running full blast, as it were.

We don't have that problem now......
No one has that problem now, everything is imported. You don't have to worry about warehouses giving off toxins most of them I go to are lucky to have heat....thank you nafta....

This is true.
The people of California elected these tree huggers, now pay for it....
So is this.
most of them I go to are lucky to have heat....thank you nafta....
If this wasn't true it would be funny.

Charging fees where applicable is needed to regain profitability, rates are just too competitive to overlook the little things anymore. There used to be a time when residential delivery, inside delivery was, "just do it", or, "see what you can do with it", nowdays it's, "That costs x$$". We are more in a mode of make money on it or go out of business. It's way past time we quit giving them cheeseburgers when they order and pay for hamburgers, if you know what I mean.

New Penn has a surcharge for Wash. DC There is a surcharge for haz mat from some carriers. .Doesn't cost the carrier any extra to haul has mat does it? only the driver when he has to renew his liscense. the driver should get a cut out of that surcharge.
Actually it does cost more if you consider the reporting requirments

the driver should get a cut out of that surcharge.
I'm with you on that. There are increasingly more and more regulations to haul HAZ-MAT and thus the surcharge. Additionally, somewhere, someday there will be a HAZ-MAT incident that will cost money, not like just spilling a bag of rice and someone has to shoulder that expense.

That was one of our contract proposals,.....that the company pick up the cost of our HAZ-MAT license. After all, they do charge extra for HAZ-MAT shipments,.....and they couldn't do that if we didn't have HAZ-MAT endorsements...........

And,....of course our idiot so-called....."leaders".........in the IBT just completely threw away a very big hammer in their haste to pass a concessionary contract. A complete no-brainer like this , where they could've backed the company against the wall,.....and offsetted some of the wage concessions by paying employees for something the company charges customers for anyway,.........

Who knows their rationale in the Marble Palace?.....Who knows how they think, or whose side they are on?

I have heard that one or more of the non-union carriers pay for theirs. It has reached a time where being a Teamster is barely beneficial.
XPO/Con-Way reimburses drivers for the background check - turn the receipt in to your manager and the company sends you a check.