Making home made wine

shadowr434

TB Veteran
Super Moderator
PREMIUM
Credits
Just wondering if anyone else makes wine. I've been doing it now for a few months now and have completed 2 batches so far. So far I've used 2 WinExpert kits. My first kit was a little tough as it was a Piesporter Riesling and the elder flowers you add are difficult to clean out. My second one was a 4 grape blend and came out purely perfect. I have two more kits I'm gonna start at some point but I'm also getting ready to make a Orange Chocolate Port soon that I plan on infusing with Brandy. Wine has been a passion of mine for a while and making my own now has become a real love of mine.

when i had seen the prices of the kits, the time involved, and then the ingredients, i said....it's easier to go to the store, buy what i want cheaper.

i can get a gallon of Livingston, or Gallo, Paul Masson (and other house branded) wines, for just under $15 per gallon.....

but for you folk that like it, like the flavors you produce, and have some spare time, good for you, i am happy for you.

for me, open wallet, take out cash, get outta store.....

when i had seen the prices of the kits, the time involved, and then the ingredients, i said....it's easier to go to the store, buy what i want cheaper.

i can get a gallon of Livingston, or Gallo, Paul Masson (and other house branded) wines, for just under $15 per gallon.....

but for you folk that like it, like the flavors you produce, and have some spare time, good for you, i am happy for you.

for me, open wallet, take out cash, get outta store.....

Its really not as expensive as you think. I actually started making wine to save money but I don't drink cheap wine either so there is that. After the initial investment in equipment which was under a hundred, the cost per bottle runs around 2.50 to 4.00 a bottle. Each batch of wine makes about 28 to 30 bottles and the quality is far better than your cheap wines with a much higher alcohol content.

Its really not as expensive as you think. I actually started making wine to save money but I don't drink cheap wine either so there is that. After the initial investment in equipment which was under a hundred, the cost per bottle runs around 2.50 to 4.00 a bottle. Each batch of wine makes about 28 to 30 bottles and the quality is far better than your cheap wines with a much higher alcohol content.

yeah, but how much are the grapes, and how many pounds of grapes (and other ingredients) does it take to make a batch, and how big are those bottles you fill up, a pint, a quart, a half gallon...??????

how much time, does it take to go out and buy the supplies, how much time for prep, how much time for brewing, cooking, fermenting, etc,etc, etc, over going to the store, finding what i want, then going to the cash register and getting home...?? for me, all of about 15, maybe 20 minutes..???

verses's your time, money, waiting, etc,etc..???

as i say, for those of you that do this as a hobby, great, i support that, as you should support my desire not to get overly involved in wasting my time, or money.

so go for it...as i "go for it".....!!!

yeah, but how much are the grapes, and how many pounds of grapes (and other ingredients) does it take to make a batch, and how big are those bottles you fill up, a pint, a quart, a half gallon...??????

how much time, does it take to go out and buy the supplies, how much time for prep, how much time for brewing, cooking, fermenting, etc,etc, etc, over going to the store, finding what i want, then going to the cash register and getting home...?? for me, all of about 15, maybe 20 minutes..???

verses's your time, money, waiting, etc,etc..???

as i say, for those of you that do this as a hobby, great, i support that, as you should support my desire not to get overly involved in wasting my time, or money.

so go for it...as i "go for it".....!!!

Well, you need not crush grapes or buy anything else after the initial equipment purchase. You see, wine kits these days are completely self contained. Everything you need in one box. Time and effort is minimal. It takes me the most time to bottle at the end, starting the batch takes about 15 minutes. The two steps in the middle take maybe 10 to 15 minutes each and bottling takes maybe 40 minutes at the most. The time from start to finish is 6 weeks. That's about all. The wine and yeast do the majority of the work. As for the bottles, they are a standard size wine bottle.

i like my 15-20 minute time frame better, thank you.

6 weeks....???...6 weeks...???...6 weeks...???

good thing i ain't no wino....i'd die from thirst..!!

i like my 15-20 minute time frame better, thank you.

6 weeks....???...6 weeks...???...6 weeks...???

good thing i ain't no wino....i'd die from thirst..!!
Prior to the first batch I was still buying my wine but now I don't but wine in the store anymore. You get more than enough to drink between batches.