New Penn | Management & clerks getting thrown out?

big steve, trust me here,when npme, which has always operated with the less men more work theory, lets call it. we didn't miss p/u's, not that there was none missed from time to time, but very rarely. thats what made your home terminal it's revenue. if anything,dels.were put on the back burner,not p/u's. you could always get extra 24 hrs. for brought back dels. by pushing them into the needs appt. catagory.

big steve, trust me here,when npme, which has always operated with the less men more work theory, lets call it. we didn't miss p/u's, not that there was none missed from time to time, but very rarely. thats what made your home terminal it's revenue. if anything,dels.were put on the back burner,not p/u's. you could always get extra 24 hrs. for brought back dels. by pushing them into the needs appt. catagory.

one main reason you guys did not miss p/u's had nothing to do with management, it had / has everything to do with you guys yourselves
the company's treatment of the delivery revenue as "money in the bank" and the outbound as "future deposits" so to speak was a wise one most if not all carriers think the opposite
that is what differentiated npmf from the rest of the pack

i am calling a spade a spade
npmf has some of the most concientous / industrious drivers in the industry in my opinion and incidently i worked for abf
i also worked for the other major players from time to time and on long island i was always amazed at how much you guys did peddling with 45 ft trailers
for instance one of the route drivers out here from maspeth did / does twice as much ( del's + pu's ) as one of our drivers running the same approx area and we didn't have the stem time to contend with, and he did so not working that much more hours than my guy
don't get me wrong i am not stating this opinion in a derogatory fashion or to knock anyone but simply to support my earlier statement
i myself never worked for npmf because of the commute factor
and i do agree with you guys, management has changed there from what it was to what it is now (heavy yrc influence)
i get that info from friends who work there
the now treatment of del's as their primary concern and the basing of manpower needs on the inbound freight and not on the whole picture displays yrc's style and is a telltale sign

but even way back then i felt alot of guys confused management's real intentions with the thought of management worrying or caring or looking out for their workers
npmf management was and is no different from all the rest in that regard but was just able to camouflage it much better

[QUOTE
In the past NPME made every effort to keep people working through slow times even at a cost to the company. Of course, that was NPME of the past as we are no longer owned and operated by people who have a lot of common sense.

this is a case in point whereas most guys felt or confused managements "benevolent" intentions with what was truly occurring which was just good business sense as management always was concerned that if they did not have the manpower when and if the need arose and did not or were not able to fulfill that need it would seriously damage the company's reputation with their customer base
they were not being "benevolent" but simply put very shrewd
your needs and their needs simply overlapped thus the benefit you experienced
it is sort of like the philosophy displayed in the godfather movies
" it's not personal, it's just business "
i do agree with the last sentence in your quote entirely