ABF | Management Hrs. ?

Why am i and all my brothers working 10 - 14 hours a day busting our butts and my manager who is worthless works probably 25 hours at best , seems to me he should be doing the same thing , instead of two hour lunches and then goes home !
In my opinion the tm in Chicago 040 is in the same boat. The office workers keep track.

Why am i and all my brothers working 10 - 14 hours a day busting our butts and my manager who is worthless works probably 25 hours at best , seems to me he should be doing the same thing , instead of two hour lunches and then goes home !
The old TM at my barn used to hide in his office until us drivers cleared out, then God knows where he went. The new TM gets in a little earlier, but by golly when 4pm rolls around...whooooosh!!!...gone!

My manager leaves just about every day at noon and returns around three. I would think someone at the fort would call the office for him instead of his cellphone all the time. They are so worried about us stealing time but they don't seem to care about the tm. When he is in the office early he sleeps at his desk, sometimes with his head down on it!

My manager leaves just about every day at noon and returns around three. I would think someone at the fort would call the office for him instead of his cellphone all the time. They are so worried about us stealing time but they don't seem to care about the tm. When he is in the office early he sleeps at his desk, sometimes with his head down on it!
Let’s square things up and put tracking devices in company CARS and see what that leads to. Probably a lot of 2-Hour ‘stops’ at the titty bars.

After Roadway was spun off as a stand alone company, we had a program start up that was called empowerment. Teamsters working without supervisors. At Roadway Albuquerque we worked this way up until the merger in late 2008. The inbound and out bound shifts were worked and run by Teamsters. The only management type supervisor we had was the P&D dispatcher. In retrospect, I would say 90% of the Teamsters liked this program. There was a dislike of the feeling that Teamsters were telling Teamsters what to do. Also right from the start, Roadway Albuquerque's management team was dead set against empowerment but they were forced to except it.

Last edited:
We did that in our little terminal. We are the NDXP covering Central East coast and Midwest. Operated without a night time supervisor for years,.......guys had their own computer passwords. Worked perfectly....Saved the company from having to hire a managerial baby-sitter........

When I was hired at ABF 25 years ago,....I was told that "ABF doesn't hire children.." We know what the job is, and what the work is,.......and, way back then,.....management didn't question your decisions....

I think the idea of GPSing the company phones and cars,......would be quite revealing. Many of us rank-and-filers,.....(the sweaty ones,...in case you're a management-type....)......suspect there's a lot of........"deadwood".....(.there's a ...polite..term).. in company management, nowadays........

We did that in our little terminal. We are the NDXP covering Central East coast and Midwest. Operated without a night time supervisor for years,.......guys had their own computer passwords. Worked perfectly....Saved the company from having to hire a managerial baby-sitter........

When I was hired at ABF 25 years ago,....I was told that "ABF doesn't hire children.." We know what the job is, and what the work is,.......and, way back then,.....management didn't question your decisions....

I think the idea of GPSing the company phones and cars,......would be quite revealing. Many of us rank-and-filers,.....(the sweaty ones,...in case you're a management-type....)......suspect there's a lot of........"deadwood".....(.there's a ...polite..term).. in company management, nowadays........
Touch labor. Remember

After Roadway was spun off as a stand alone company, we had a program start up that was called empowerment. Teamsters working without supervisors. At Roadway Albuquerque we worked this way up until the merger in late 2008. The inbound and out bound shifts were worked and run by Teamsters. The only management type supervisor we had was the P&D dispatcher. In retrospect, I would say 90% of the Teamsters liked this program. There was a dislike of the feeling that Teamsters were telling Teamsters what to do. Also right from the start, Roadway Albuquerque's management team was dead set against empowerment but they were forced to except it.
Maybe we would make money,And increase productivity,Iam guessing they wouldn’t like this too much .With the current state of affairs at YRC ,This place won’t make it this way forever.We either take the bull by the horns or send it to the slaughter house.(My opinion)

In my opinion the tm in Chicago 040 is in the same boat. The office workers keep track.
What about Dean Alberts lunch schedule. He used to be in Des Planes, IL # 216 before he came to 050 Indy. Then he went back to the Chicago break bulk off of US 30. He seemed to be lost in Lost & Found with no way to escape. von.