Mandatory 30min break

grocerythrower

TB Legend
Credits
We got our packets, I'm really impressed at the work that went into informing us. We all got one with our name on it, not just a pile of crap for our mgr to distribute. So whoever thought it up, you got a thumbs up from me, Sysco OK may be getting it together after all :)

On another note, I'm glad the DOT came up with this, I hope all our people will take the 30 min and get some down time, thats what its for, its not meant to be a pain for the company, but as a benefit for us, I think the DOT is coming to realize that we get pushed to not take our breaks, this is one step closer to eliminating that.

I wouldn't mind the new rules if I could combine my two 15 paid breaks to make one paid 30 minute break(like we can do now), but this new rule will now force us to take a 30 minute UNPAID break. I still keep my two 15 minute paid breaks.

I wouldn't mind the new rules if I could combine my two 15 paid breaks to make one paid 30 minute break(like we can do now), but this new rule will now force us to take a 30 minute UNPAID break. I still keep my two 15 minute paid breaks.

The rules say you can, just like using it in conjunction with a paid lunch, we get 2 paid 20 min breaks, and one unpaid lunch, I can elect to take a 30 min break then a 10 elsewhere, however the company pulls 30 min out of my check so I try and take my lunch.

The rules say you can, just like using it in conjunction with a paid lunch, we get 2 paid 20 min breaks, and one unpaid lunch, I can elect to take a 30 min break then a 10 elsewhere, however the company pulls 30 min out of my check so I try and take my lunch.
They don't pull 30 minutes unless we log off. We were told that the 30 minutes must be logged off duty on the computer. Our breaks are logged as on duty. So, if I take the 30 minutes and don't log off, to them, I am in violation of the new rules. See the issue ;)

They don't pull 30 minutes unless we log off. We were told that the 30 minutes must be logged off duty on the computer. Our breaks are logged as on duty. So, if I take the 30 minutes and don't log off, to them, I am in violation of the new rules. See the issue ;)

What our route drivers are gonna do is when they have like an hour stop, they are gonna log out on XATA as lunch or break and keep working, however if they have to move the truck to re-position, they must not exceed 4mph or the truck will show that its in drive and give a violation if they are into their 8 hrs, won't the company work with you? Seems it would be a bright idea, Sysco frowns on any down time even for us shuttle pukes, but the deal is in our contract and now its LAW!!!

Love ya like a Brother Rx2, I won't be back on till mon morning if I have a minute.

What our route drivers are gonna do is when they have like an hour stop, they are gonna log out on XATA as lunch or break and keep working, however if they have to move the truck to re-position, they must not exceed 4mph or the truck will show that its in drive and give a violation if they are into their 8 hrs, won't the company work with you? Seems it would be a bright idea, Sysco frowns on any down time even for us shuttle pukes, but the deal is in our contract and now its LAW!!!

Love ya like a Brother Rx2, I won't be back on till mon morning if I have a minute.

Looks like your route drivers are on the same page as me and a few of my co-workers ;) Plus, I will no longer skip a stop and go do another one if a stop is not open yet. I will use the wait time as my break.

can not work even if logged off duty, reason your scanner says you are still working. so be careful guys our opco said no working on that break because an audit can so you scanning. our opco is hireing drivers right now.

can not work even if logged off duty, reason your scanner says you are still working. so be careful guys our opco said no working on that break because an audit can so you scanning. our opco is hireing drivers right now.

I'll bring that up 2wheeldriver, I didn't think about that, our trans mgr suggested that, he may not know the other part that goes with it, the scanner!

Looks like your route drivers are on the same page as me and a few of my co-workers ;) Plus, I will no longer skip a stop and go do another one if a stop is not open yet. I will use the wait time as my break.

They take 30min out of our check regardless, but the guys that are fast and make money because of it are searching for a way around it.

The scanner only matters if it is hooked to xata. At my opco we get paided by when we log on the sts and when log off at the end of the day. So the new rule does not affect my pay. Just get opco to take xata and sts separate and your golden. Log off for lunch keep scanning, and make money.

They take 30min out of our check regardless, but the guys that are fast and make money because of it are searching for a way around it.
Starting today we get 30 minutes out daily, no more filling out a "no lunch" form at the end of the week. They take 30, I now take 30 off duty every day BUT I have already figured out how to get that back. It will all even out at the end of the week ;)

fyi to let you guys know. the ones thinking of working during break and scanning with handheld. if you get into a accident or injury if sysco/dot/osha look back and see you actually worked during break. you could be facing some kind of discipline. just be carefull on how you do things...

The scanner only matters if it is hooked to xata. At my opco we get paided by when we log on the sts and when log off at the end of the day. So the new rule does not affect my pay. Just get opco to take xata and sts separate and your golden. Log off for lunch keep scanning, and make money.

Ours are as far as I know, the STS is our time clock, besides mgmt can't discern one from the other, I'll just take my break, they take the damn money out anyhow.

just remember the company will protect its self. so just watch what you during your breaks... remember everything is tracked w xata and sts by times.

just remember the company will protect its self. so just watch what you during your breaks... remember everything is tracked w xata and sts by times.

Thats what I told the guys that would listen, your time don't start when you stop, its when XATA shows 30 min, it took me a full 2 min to get logged off for that 30min break last nite, also this morning I had to hit stop 5 times before it would go to the menu screen so I could end my trip, monday morning I had to hit stop 6 times, very frustrating when a delivery guy is waiting on the truck.

Exactly what I was telling the supervisors the other day; as I signed my violation for "missing" my 30 minute break. Xata clearly showed that I was stopped at 10:59, however it didn't start logging my off duty until 11:02. If we have to be that accurate then we should be using a program that doesn't have that extent of delay in processing the information (or in this case responding to our touch on it's screen).

For Christ's sake, I have to set an alarm to remember to clock in no more than 1 minute before or after my start time... ;)

Exactly what I was telling the supervisors the other day; as I signed my violation for "missing" my 30 minute break. Xata clearly showed that I was stopped at 10:59, however it didn't start logging my off duty until 11:02. If we have to be that accurate then we should be using a program that doesn't have that extent of delay in processing the information (or in this case responding to our touch on it's screen).

For Christ's sake, I have to set an alarm to remember to clock in no more than 1 minute before or after my start time... ;)

Just remember, if you stop at say 1100 a person would think that at 1130 I could roll, but the thing to remember is the break starts when we log off in XATA, it has a timer, soon as that number hits 30 I punch end lunch punch duty, then move, one of the guys says nothing over 4mph and it won't trip XATA and cause a violation, in case you have to move out of the way, another says nothing over about a quarter of a mile, he was on lunch and I watched him drop out put up returns and speed to the back lot, he was logged off and he ain't got a violation yet. Personally, I don't move, I enjoy my 30 min to myself.

BTW, we are allowed to log on to the handheld 5 min prior to start time :)

I've heard that true written warnings for the violations will start soon, but haven't seen them yet. Nor a start time for it. In fact, we are still waiting for the pre and post trips to be put back on STS, it was over two weeks ago they said that would start, and it's been changed to "date to be announced"

As for the xata, unless the driver initiates the move sequence it doesn't document movement on screen for 4.2 miles. And yes, I checked that again last week. I suspect that is where your guy is getting the 4 mph info from. But remember, xata shows more info internally than we see on screen. I wouldn't be moving the truck unless I had to. ( Ha,Like the other day when I found myself pulled over in what I thought was a quiet spot and found myself in the arrival line for a quincenera. (sp? Don't know how to spell that) limos, photographers and a ton of Latino kids all dressed up arriving right where I parked, lol. )

As for the STS, I've heard that some guys are still scanning during breaks, but scanning as "product transfer" instead... Waiting to see how that pans out.

I dislike the 30 min break. I'd rather have that time at home.

I've heard that true written warnings for the violations will start soon, but haven't seen them yet. Nor a start time for it. In fact, we are still waiting for the pre and post trips to be put back on STS, it was over two weeks ago they said that would start, and it's been changed to "date to be announced"

As for the xata, unless the driver initiates the move sequence it doesn't document movement on screen for 4.2 miles. And yes, I checked that again last week. I suspect that is where your guy is getting the 4 mph info from. But remember, xata shows more info internally than we see on screen. I wouldn't be moving the truck unless I had to. ( Ha,Like the other day when I found myself pulled over in what I thought was a quiet spot and found myself in the arrival line for a quincenera. (sp? Don't know how to spell that) limos, photographers and a ton of Latino kids all dressed up arriving right where I parked, lol. )

As for the STS, I've heard that some guys are still scanning during breaks, but scanning as "product transfer" instead... Waiting to see how that pans out.

I dislike the 30 min break. I'd rather have that time at home.
those guys are playing with fire. what happens if they get hurt during this so called transfer? the company now has them on falsification of logs.