FedEx Freight | MANDATORY MEETINGS TUESDAY

And you still have your hearing after driving the Buzzin' Dozen??

My left side hearing is gone, I attribute this to the 671 and 8v71s we ran before 78, when we got AC.
I am suing Detroit when I (hear) from my attorney , Calhoun.
I never drove but one 12v, from Orl. to Jax.

I heard that freight is being pulled out of GSP and given back to CLT. cant confirm
Not saying this is a myth but judging by the runs we added, none of that freight is serviced by GSP, nor is it from any freight that we currently shuttle down there for them to cover.

Not to be cynical, but as a road driver here's what bothers me about the continual tweaking of runs, lanes, modes of transport, etc...

They are justified with chants of everyone's favorite manta, "linehaul is our biggest expense".

To me, that's like a Dunkin Donuts deciding to sell hot water, because coffee beans are the biggest expense... Or, substituting generic beans for every other cup. I mean, will anyone notice if a small percentage is weak? It will work for awhile and make their profit numbers look great, but will people continue to buy it long term? Will the supply be there for them when they decide it was a mistake and need to switch back to something with more quality?

Trucking companies exhist to move freight from point to point. Sure it's expensive, but you get what you pay for in this world.

Each mile I drive, as safely and professionally as I can, I am providing a service that this industry is uniquely qualified to do. There are lots of generic means to move freight, but our customers want to enjoy a hot cup of Dunkin! They didn't look for Folder's, they payed up for the best! What will we do when they start to figure out what's in that cup of premium Joe? (Nothing against Folder's, Maxwell House, Total, CRST or any other of the less expensive options).

The biggest expense, in my mind, is the good folks in freightflow who have decided that their careers are best justified by endlessly tweaking and decimating the runs, always armed with new numbers of cost savings while fewer and fewer boots are on the ground. Then, management tells us they struggle with hiring... Go figure.
Road drivers for FedEx Freight are expensive - but we are among the best in the industry. We provide the service that our customers want. Expensive? Sure! But also the best bet for a premium service, long term.

I doubt if Corporate is working as hard to outsource it's Pilot's. Just saying...

Last edited:
Not to be cynical, but as a road driver here's what bothers me about the continual tweaking of runs, lanes, modes of transport, etc...

They are justified with chants of everyone's favorite manta, "linehaul is our biggest expense".

To me, that's like a Dunkin Donuts deciding to sell hot water, because coffee beans are the biggest expense... Or, substituting generic beans for every other cup. I mean, will anyone notice if a small percentage is weak? It will work for awhile and make their profit numbers look great, but will people continue to buy it long term? Will the supply be there for them when they decide it was a mistake and need to switch back to something with more quality?

Trucking companies exhist to move freight from point to point. Sure it's expensive, but you get what you pay for in this world.

Each mile I drive, as safely and professionally as I can, I am providing a service that this industry is uniquely qualified to do. There are lots of generic means to move freight, but our customers want to enjoy a hot cup of Dunkin! They didn't look for Folder's, they payed up for the best! What will we do when they start to figure out what's in that cup of premium Joe? (Nothing against Folder's, Maxwell House, Total, CRST or any other of the less expensive options).

The biggest expense, in my mind, is the good folks in freightflow who have decided that their careers are best justified by endlessly tweaking and decimating the runs, always armed with new numbers of cost savings while fewer and fewer boots are on the ground. Then, management tells us they struggle with hiring... Go figure.
Road drivers for FedEx Freight are expensive - but we are among the best in the industry. We provide the service that our customers want. Expensive? Sure! But also the best bet for a premium service, long term.

I doubt if Corporate is working as hard to outsource it's Pilot's. Just saying...
This is what happens when there’s a COO...one center loses while another gains. Companies have to be flexible while being able to adjust to the ever evolving industry known as LTL, and we’re not immune.

Agreed, we are one of the best in the industry and we also charge accordingly...how can you say our customers are getting otherwise? When there’s a COO it’s done to better service our customers, not with the intent of purposely screwing the employees...surely you aren’t that shallow??

Outsourcing drivers?? Again, when one loses one gains...with the next set of drivers set to come over, we’ll have added 29 road drivers to our board in the last year...hardly outsourcing IMO.

NOTE: I do feel your pain, for years it seems with every COO we were always losing runs/drivers for various reasons, now were starting to recoup to where we’re almost back to where we once were.

"it’s done to better service our customers, not with the intent of purposely screwing the employees...surely you aren’t that shallow"

I won't get into name calling and I certainly won't argue with your succinctly quoting the company's rhetoric.

I have moved twice to keep my job and have worked with hundreds of drivers who lost theirs from changes of operations, so I admit I'm sensitive.

I often lose 15 minutes trying to get through the gate as there are so many PT's in front of me.

We were told that we lost runs this last time, because they can't hire drivers at my center. (We could bump up a few pay tiers, I'm sure that might attract some)

I feel lucky and blessed to work for FedEx, I just think that there are other ways to trim fat, that would be less disruptive.

Many of these decisions are based on statistical data and anyone who took a stat class along the line is fully aware of how biased that data can be...

"it’s done to better service our customers, not with the intent of purposely screwing the employees...surely you aren’t that shallow"

I won't get into name calling and I certainly won't argue with your succinctly quoting the company's rhetoric.

I have moved twice to keep my job and have worked with hundreds of drivers who lost theirs from changes of operations, so I admit I'm sensitive.

I often lose 15 minutes trying to get through the gate as there are so many PT's in front of me.

We were told that we lost runs this last time, because they can't hire drivers at my center. (We could bump up a few pay tiers, I'm sure that might attract some)

I feel lucky and blessed to work for FedEx, I just think that there are other ways to trim fat, that would be less disruptive.

Many of these decisions are based on statistical data and anyone who took a stat class along the line is fully aware of how biased that data can be...
Sorry if you misconstrued my post, that was not an attempt to “name call”. I’ve read most of your post recently and I’m certain that you understand how it works, I’m afraid you may have just been caught up in the moment, especially after considering your past history with the company as you just explained...nor am I “quoting company rhetoric”. Anyone who “knows” me knows I’m far from being pro-company, rather pro-Red!! I’m more of a thorn in their side calling BS if/when they try to **** on my shoes and tell me it’s raining!!

With regards to PT, that’s where most of our added runs have come from. With the rising cost of PT along with the addition of more freight, their actually pulling freight off of PT and are going to move it on our trailers again...like they should.

There are many variables that go into a COO and there’ll always be winners and losers, that’s just how it works...

I think we're generally on the same page, Red and I try to be open-minded... The reason I stayed all these years was because I want to play for a winner.

I guess, like an aging quarterback on a team that drafted his replacement - I'm just getting old and bitter...

But like you said, sometimes runs go and come back... I'm lucky enough that I'm not really affected by these COO's...

And thanks for not saying, "if you don't like it here, quit!". Lol

There was a little thing called the union around then.. just saying.
It had more to do with the fact we had freight falling off our dock...theoretically speaking of course...the move was made to relieve some pressure understandably. We also lost freight to GBO during that COO for the same reason...just sayin’