FedEx Freight | Mandatory meetings

I don't understand what the big deal is?? It's economy freight...basically what's left of the business we picked up from Watkins/National. The last time I checked we are still a regional LTL carrier..primarily priority freight. Economy freight is mainly long distance freight, that's why it's put onto the rail...because we have a two week window to make delivery!!

Union companies also use the rail to move long distance freight (economy) so attempting to organize won't change that.
2 weeks to deliver economy freight?.. really? I see a heck of a lot of FedEx containers on the BN heading west out of Chicago area. Hard to believe they take 2 weeks to deliver the freight....

2 weeks to deliver economy freight?.. really? I see a heck of a lot of FedEx containers on the BN heading west out of Chicago area. Hard to believe they take 2 weeks to deliver the freight....
It generally doesn't take two weeks but we have two weeks to deliver the freight. The rail isn't known for their speed...or service, they're known for their cheap rates.

I don't understand what the big deal is?? It's economy freight...basically what's left of the business we picked up from Watkins/National. The last time I checked we are still a regional LTL carrier..primarily priority freight. Economy freight is mainly long distance freight, that's why it's put onto the rail...because we have a two week window to make delivery!!

Hey Red! It's been a while since you've needed corrected.

Again, your whole economy vs priority analysis is flawed. We won't waste time getting into each misconception and/or misrepresentation, Just the most obvious.

"Economy is basically what's left of the business we picked up from Watkins/National"? Do you really think that portion of freight is static, and is what remains? If so, it was a MUCH bigger portion of the market than you previously led us to believe.

Economy accounts for nearly 1/3 of our daily shipments. Also provide HIGHER revenue/per ship and/or hundredweight. Still don't see what the big deal is?

Also, most economy freight doesn't have a two week window. Where did you come up with that? Are you speaking strictly of coast to coast volume (T/L) quotes?

Quite a lot of variety in this market. Pricing plays a role, but ultimately we try to do what the customer wants. The customer has little concern about how we do it. That is where the Company has to weigh the risk vs reward. How much Purchase (Rail and T/L) can be used/tolerated? I can't answer that one for you...

Hey Red! It's been a while since you've needed corrected.

Again, your whole economy vs priority analysis is flawed. We won't waste time getting into each misconception and/or misrepresentation, Just the most obvious.

"Economy is basically what's left of the business we picked up from Watkins/National"? Do you really think that portion of freight is static, and is what remains? If so, it was a MUCH bigger portion of the market than you previously led us to believe.

Economy accounts for nearly 1/3 of our daily shipments. Also provide HIGHER revenue/per ship and/or hundredweight. Still don't see what the big deal is?

Also, most economy freight doesn't have a two week window. Where did you come up with that? Are you speaking strictly of coast to coast volume (T/L) quotes?

Quite a lot of variety in this market. Pricing plays a role, but ultimately we try to do what the customer wants. The customer has little concern about how we do it. That is where the Company has to weigh the risk vs reward. How much Purchase (Rail and T/L) can be used/tolerated? I can't answer that one for you...
I should've known the semantics king would eventually chime in...

No one believes that portion of the freight is static, c'mon Swampy. We all know, or should know, that we serviced some long haul freight before the Watkins purchase but also long haul freight was the majority of their business. It was only after the takeover that we implemented the rail service/economy freight and it was the majority of their freight that filled these lanes.

Economy may be 1/3 of our daily shipments but that leaves priority as 2/3's, or the majority. Economy may provide a higher revenue per shipment/hundred weight but that's because it's moved primarily on the rail...it's cheaper. If we ran economy strictly on our trucks, I'll venture to say it would probably cost us money to move it.

Talk to your hub plannner about the service window for economy shipments.

Yes, and it's that variety that gives our company the flexibility to service the needs of our customers while maximizing profits. Restrictions, such as contracts, prohibit that flexibility which could lead to reductions in profits and/or jobs

I could think of a few choice words for some affiliated with Local 71 but I won't since that is personal. That said, no they aren't affecting the drivers or costing them anything.
Technically you're correct...but the drivers like yourself, Hootowl, and others who pushed, campaigned, and voted for representation and the right to bargain cost the city drivers money every time they take a week's vacation (or single day) and cost the road drivers opportunities to earn more money every time we bid!! Perhaps you guys will start a fund to help offset the loss of compensation that you've cost your fellow (and former) associates!!

This one is on the hand's of those who wanted representation...thanks for less!!

Of course had everyone listened to Redracer3136 and people like him and done nothing, we would still have the points system,we would have watched our insurance costs continue to skyrocket, the vacation pay enhancement for city drivers would NEVER have happened in the first place, also that is still in the court system despite your and other anti's in CLT premature celebration our city drivers wouldn't get it which is sad you and others feel that way but it suites your designs which says a lot in and of itself, and many oppressive rules would continue to be in place and more than likely 56 terminals would never have gotten the GDP raise they got either. How many have gotten one since? How about ZERO. So I guess four terminals voting yes helped quite a few people despite what you may think. We are fighting for better job security, medical insurance and retirement. I'm not sure what you guys are fighting FOR. But then again fighting for the rights and benefits of others has never been the strong suite of the anti-union crowd anywhere in this country and certainly not in this campaign either.