Many Fast Food employees striking today. Demand union, and $15hr.

No F-bdy Bs

TB Veteran
Credits
What are the thoughts on this?
$15hr for VERY unskilled labor. Average salary for a FF manager is $34k yr, or about $17hr
Predictions estimate average prices will increase 31%
$10 combo meal would be $13xx.

Also, unions account for 7% of the current force.
7%. . Down from 11% just 3yrs ago.

What are the thoughts on this?
$15hr for VERY unskilled labor. Average salary for a FF manager is $34k yr, or about $17hr
Predictions estimate average prices will increase 31%
$10 combo meal would be $13xx.

Also, unions account for 7% of the current force.
7%. . Down from 11% just 3yrs ago.

Fast food was not meant to be a full time job with the goal of supporting a family.

Good paying middle class employment opportunities continue to dwindle.

As the trend continues, those entry level workers will demand higher wages.

Minimum wage hikes are necessary to grow the economy.

A jump to $15 is not the answer, but steady increases are necessary.

"What are the thoughts on this? "

This...

"
06062011_McD_Robot_2_cropped_article.jpg

I know this for damned sure, if most felt like he did we would still have the points system along with all the other stupid rules that were eliminated. It took people standing together and just the threat of the union to do that. Look at the 4 up North with more on the way who seek for a better work place and job security. That took bravery and conviction, now we have an acknowledged fence rider who only wants to belittle and undermine what those who have/will take a stand while he benefits from it. What a guy.

Fifteen buck an hour burger flipper???lol..Sounds like somebody made some poor choices early in life and this is what they got dealt.Most of the people that eat that crap do so because its cheap.Let them skyrocket the price of that garbage and these franchises can lay off half their workforce.

I know this for damned sure, if most felt like he did we would still have the points system along with all the other stupid rules that were eliminated. It took people standing together and just the threat of the union to do that. Look at the 4 up North with more on the way who seek for a better work place and job security. That took bravery and conviction, now we have an acknowledged fence rider who only wants to belittle and undermine what those who have/will have taken a stand while he benefits from it. What a guy.

I know this for damned sure, if most felt like he did we would still have the points system along with all the other stupid rules that were eliminated. It took people standing together and just the threat of the union to do that. Look at the 4 up North with more on the way who seek for a better work place and job security. That took bravery and conviction, now we have an acknowledged fence rider who only wants to belittle and undermine what those who have/will have taken a stand while he benefits from it. What a guy.

And I said before, this is YOUR cause to champion, not mine.

And the cold, hard fact is this:
You, nor anyone else can list for me a SINGLE, union, LtL success story. Period.

Ups?
Try again. They are package freight.
Overnight? Yeah, right.

Why, would we be able to succeed where everyone else has failed?

But seriously, keep up the union scare. It honestly does seem to be working in our favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not everyone is dealt a full deck of playing cards at birth.
Fifteen buck an hour burger flipper???lol..Sounds like somebody made some poor choices early in life and this is what they got dealt.Most of the people that eat that crap do so because its cheap.Let them skyrocket the price of that garbage and these franchises can lay off half their workforce.

I was told the managers make a decent buck....

Why is it whenever the Laborers try and get a bigger "slice of the pie" so to speak, everyone starts in about how high the price of a "happy meal" is going to get?....or whatever the product may be...... Doesn't anyone think that those huge multi-million dollar per year salaries and bonuses add to the bottom line costs of a Company?...There are all kinds of excuses why the absurdly rich are "entitled" to more and more....that's just how Capitalism works......Get the most you can, any way you can.....(legally)... So why is there such vitriol over the working class doing whatever they can do to gain more....including joining a Union? ... McDonalds, as a Corporation, can well afford to pay more in basic wages....Should the minimum wage jump to 15 dollars an hour overnight? ...no, of course not...but an incremental increase over a reasonable time frame would be a better approach...

Prices will rise regardless of whether or not there is a raise in the Minimum wage....That is a poor excuse.... If the Wealthy have the right to "earn" more money...then so does the working class of America..... (look at the recent spectacle regarding wages at YRC)

So, if they can get it...fine.......But I think at this point it will be a heavy lift.....Perhaps if they keep trying.....nothing that is worthwhile is easily gotten....The Rise of the Labor movement is an example of that...They didn't give up and gradually won the right to organize and join Unions...with the decline in Unions in recent years......this just may be a new beginning in a more modern era of Labor starting to take a new stand.....

It is fascinating times we live in....

here in New England, believe it or not, there are still truck driving jobs in the range of $10 to $14 per hour (some are $19 per hour).....somehow, i do not think that many of these jobs will exist, if the minimum wage were to go up that high. surely the low end CDL jobs here are worthless to begin with, but many people still take them, especially first time drivers out of school, or former criminals, or people just wanting a few hours on a part time basis..

i cannot see any of them continuing to work for lower wages, if Mickey Burgerworld pays more.

before anyone starts to even say they wouldn't take such a low paying CDL job (and i know i wouldn't either), remember this, some people HAVE TO.

the food workers "may get" $15 per hour and "may get" a union, but after union dues and maybe health bene's.....they sure as hell ain't gonna take home $15 per hour.....

best to leave things alone, minimum wages and no bene's........ most of the minimum wage jobs in America were only supposed to be part time for students, NOT EVER a family man (or woman) that needs to support themselves OR a family....

... McDonalds, as a Corporation, can well afford to pay more in basic wages....Should the minimum wage jump to 15 dollars an hour overnight? ...no, of course not...but an incremental increase over a reasonable time frame would be a better approach...

Prices will rise regardless of whether or not there is a raise in the Minimum wage....That is a poor excuse.... If the Wealthy have the right to "earn" more money...then so does the working class of America....

Mick Buergerworld may be able to pay more than basic wages", but why should they, when all they mostly have is dimwited ass's that cannot get an order straight, or leave out items..??

how many fricking times do i have to go back to the counter and ask for jelly for my biscuit, or ask for salt and pepper, cuz the dimwit that IS SUPPOSED to keep those items stocked on the counter is off in the bathroom, doing God knows what with himself...??

how many times must i wait in the counter line for the SLOW service they provide me now..??

how many times must i wait in the drive thru window, because the people working that window are slow.>???

you wanna pay dimwitted kids $15 per hour to do even LESS than they do now..??

so I have to pay more for the same ****ty food because the workers do ****ty work. No sir

that's right.....this is why i actually stay away from such places and only pretty much go to Mickey D's Mc Burger World for the occasional breakfast, or an occasional chicken sandwich, other wise, i am NOT a regular partaker of thier so-called fine dinning experience....

i probably only partake a fast food place all of once per month, and to me, that at times is too many.....

Will this mean that the dollar value menu will consist of ketchup packets and extra napkins?????

the food workers "may get" $15 per hour and "may get" a union, but after union dues and maybe health bene's.....they sure as hell ain't gonna take home $15 per hour.....

best to leave things alone, minimum wages and no bene's........ most of the minimum wage jobs in America were only supposed to be part time for students, NOT EVER a family man (or woman) that needs to support themselves OR a family....

That's how it was when we had manufacturing. I see very few shiny faced students working the fast food places around here. Let's bring back these places, they were much better.