Many Fast Food employees striking today. Demand union, and $15hr.

Discussion in 'The Drivers Lounge' started by No F-bdy Bs, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Roadrunner73

Roadrunner73 Well-Known Member

I'm good with the increase. Let's make it $25/hour. Hopefully that will drive the fast food industry out of business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

no, it means we may have to pay for those....

3. othertrucker2001

othertrucker2001 Professional Flummoxer

Heck no. If they start paying 15 bucks an hour I'm going to McDonald's and run some young'uns off.

4. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

given the state of affairs in the trucking industry, the rules, regulations, BS, i feel that many drivers WOULD like to have a regular paying job, be home daily and have it easier than being on the road.....

in many areas of the country, that $15 per hour can be in line with the cost of living in many of those areas. however, given that here in New England for example, where home heating oil can be around $3.60 per gallon( and rises yearly due to demands), for a fill up of say 200 gallons a shot ($720 dollars for one monthly delivery, but a colder winter, demanding 2 or more deliveries each month), and rents can be on average of $1,000 per month, that $15 per hour, had better be at least $30 per hour.....

5. Apostolic

Apostolic Super Moderator Staff Member

What the hay all of you union haters,unions are not just about wages &good benefits for their members.
    Did you know most on the job safety practices came about because of union concerns for their members.
    In fact the government agency OSHA came about because of unions.

So you see they are not all about seeing their members get a fair wage for a fair days work.
    They are also looking out for their members well being on the job.

However I don't think the workers at Mickey Dees will ever become Teamsters.
    If they want higher wages striking is not going to work,there are only so many who will go out,for very long.
    Maybe short term,there are lists of others willing to take their place regardless of the lower wages.

6. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

i do not exactly hate the unions, i just don't like'em much.

i worked for NEMF, which back in the "olden days" was teamsters, till some smart-assed idiots back then, went on a wildcat strike (as told to me from a retired NEMF city driver, i knew well)..the owner had all the trucks removed form the property and moved across the state line, again, as told to me. that started the teamsters de-certification process, as told to me.

then NEMF got a "micky mouse" union, the machinists union..?? which i WAS a member of....

they suck, let me just say that...all we had "basically" was our right to bump someone off the vacation list, or a bid run, if we had seniority.

get a pay raise..???...the union dues jumped up as well...?? want better benefits...??? the company denied that....

want better equipment...?? it gets transferred from another terminal with just as much if not MORE miles on it.

as it stands now, we have state and federal labor laws. union shop or not, come benefits renewal time, the company shops around for the cheapest it can get.....

unions are about as useful as "T's" are to a bull.....

ok, you go with that.

unemployment being what it is, it'll be the "kid's" that'll go out on strike, they do not care if they get fired, hell, they'd rather be home playing games...

i think "up here" the hospital food service workers are a part of the teamsters, and other "divisions" of hospital employee's, only i cannot say for sure which hospitals.

so food service workers "can be" teamsters at micky mc burgerworld, that can be a real possibility, given the teamsters are "hungry" for members.....

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Active Member

Sounds like my first job for a cookie maker. We belonged to the Southeastern Food and Poultry Haulers Union, a subsidiary of the Teamster in name only, for our pay was nowhere even close to the Master Freight Agreement.,

8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Active Member

Anybody remember Bowman of Gadsden AL? (Not to be confused with Bowman of MD) They belonged to a coal miners union. Go figure.

9. djigman

djigman Member

Ya we should all make 300 bucks an hour. ....wow..I mean why stop at fifteen? Why not 3000 why not 30000000 an hour?

10. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

so called "fast food" places were put up back in the day to give us food FAST.

they typically paid low wages, either the going minimum wages for the time, or a few cents over.

typically, those places were jobs that college kids would apply to, as well as high schoolers, and maybe the occasional working mother, all were then, part timers.

part time jobs do not warrant higher wages more than (say) a dollar or two) above the current going minimum.

this is ESPECIALLY TRUE of NON-SKILLED labor, such as burger flippers or french fry tossers.

part time jobs that SHOULD pay well are the jobs that (for instance) truckers take on the weekends to add to thier income, as truckers, mechanics, house painters, (you know)..TRADES MEN/WOMEN went to school to learn, did time as an apprentice and went "PROFESSIONAL.

no freaking way, is a fricking burger flipper or french fry tosser a frigging PROFESSIONAL, and as such, SHOULD NEVER get MORE THAN the going MINIMUM WAGES, set forth by our government.

when the stupid, fricking, frigging day comes that a frigging burger flipper or french fry tosser BECOMES a PROFESSION, only then should they BE ALLOWED to DEMAND unions and benefits, and HIGHER WAGES...

till then, they should STFU......

stick thier tails between thier legs, and cower away like the beaten dogs that they are.

thier job is and WILL ALWAYS BE........

A LOW END JOB...NOT A CAREER............

anyone saying that these low end workers ought to get such monies and benefits, and a fricking union, is just as stupid, and NOT really thinking the PROFESSIONALISM of a SKILLED WORKER.

just think, a burger flipper, french fry tosser in THE SAME category as a PROFESSIONAL TRUCK DRIVER, PLUMBER, MECHANIC.., etc...etc....

what a bunch of morons that think that.....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  11. Cerberus_Kelpie

Cerberus_Kelpie Wings Over the World!

There ARE fast food joints that pay $15.00 plus a hour, just look at OREGON and NORTH DAKOTA.
    Oregon also adopted/accepted the Marijuana is LEGAL policy and N.D. pays well in the Oil found/extraction areas, yet good luck landing a place to LIVE while working a fast food gig, IF such a gig is at all available and the "cost of living" will quickly diminish the "$15.00 plus per hour" wages as well the higher TAX bracket.

Best advice for those seeking "$15.00 a hour fast food riches":
    MOVE to Oregon, smoke a lot of Pot, stay unemployable, suckle the state teet, enjoy your FREE health benefits, retire YOUNG.

G'Night Gracie!!
    CHEERS!!

12. Elwood

Elwood Question Authority

Problem is, now this job is no longer what it was originally conceived to be. It has become a full time job for some that are raising families. Many of those in this situation have multiple jobs.

This is due to many factors, among them, a lack of good paying entry level jobs. Unless one has certain levels of education, (incredibly expensive for the average joe or josephine)
    one cannot find a job that can support a single person, much less a family.

We have evolved into a service economy, rather than growing our manufacturing economy.

Paying for services is what people that have must do in order to have those that provide them services, continue to do so at a living wage.

So what I am gathering from your position is, that if the government determines that minimum wage is not a "living wage," and raises it, then it is okay.

You just disagree with the whole 'union' aspect of this issue.

:coffee1:

13. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

LOL...easy killer, I'd hate to see you step out of your league. ;)

14. gears75

gears75 Member

15 dollar value meal? It's a conspiracy by obama to make everyone eat healthy and lose weight (lol)

15. Apostolic

Apostolic Super Moderator Staff Member

How is this movement going?
    I have a part time job as a School Bus monitor,been doing it with my district into my 5th year.
    I get $9.17 an hour with no bennies,also no vacation,or holiday pay.
    Of course you can see I'm not doing it for the money,I'm retired from trucking & wanted something meaningful to do.

However if the minimum wage goes up I'd get a raise,but heres the thing.
    Schools pay within their budgets,seeing I'm a district tax payer,my taxes would have to go up to cover the new wages.

So I'd just as soon stay at the level I am now,because it could possibly cost me more to get a raise,then not.

Now as for the fast food joints,I got my wife & I a big mac & Chicken mc nugget meal deal just yesterday which was just under $15.00
    If those clowns working their got a raise,I'd be better off eating at a steak house for the same price it would cost me for that fast food garbage.

16. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LAST

wow....you go Apo...you go Apo....go Apo...go Apo......

[​IMG]

17. Elwood

Elwood Question Authority

First, you must know you would "..be better off eating at a steak house for the same price it would cost (you) for that fast food garbage."

Second, your overall health would be better served if you did not eat 'fast food garbage.'

Third, possibly it would be a blessing if they increased prices and fast food became a delicacy as opposed to a 'staple.'
    ( We could then consume the 'Royale with cheese.' )
    Pulp Fiction (1994) - Quotes - IMDb

Finally, chicken nuggets are an unnatural representation of the flightless bird.

:wink: :biglaugh: