FedEx Freight | March wreck in Charlotte

Rattlesnake

TB Lurker
Credits
For those of you who remember when Bandana , a Wilmington, NC driver was hit head on by a BMW in Charlotte, here is a follow-up newspaper report published Thursday.

Posted on Thu, May. 25, 2006
Autopsy: Wrong-way driver was drunk
KYTJA WEIR
A 31-year-old man who was killed in March when he crashed his BMW while headed the wrong way down Brookshire Freeway had more than twice the legal limit of alcohol in his system, according to an autopsy report released this week.

Ashley Juergen Baugstat collided with a FedEx tractor carrying two trailers just after 2 a.m. on March 8 near North Graham Street. The two vehicles were cresting opposite sides of a hill, said Charlotte-Mecklenburg police Capt. Dave Haggist, so the truck driver never had a chance to react.An autopsy showed Baugstat had a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.18, Mecklenburg County Medical Examiner Investigator Don Bryant said Wednesday. The legal limit is 0.08.

The crash was the fifth deadly wrong-way wreck in the Charlotte area since October. All involved alcohol.

In 1999, court records show, Baugstat was convicted of driving while impaired. The S.C. native known as "A.J." graduated from UNC Charlotte and served in the Navy, according to his obituary. He left behind his wife and son born in October. --

Very sad, it's unfortunate that the end of AJ's life will affect so many more that will continue living, including his son that will never know him.

I also hope that Bandana is doing well, this undoubtedly has affected his life as well even though he did nothing wrong.

roog

Thats got to be tough he must be on pins and neddles when cresting hills and stuff ,flashbacks of it .....

badcode I am sorry I had to delete your post and very sorry of what happened to you if what you are saying is true but because of liability issues , it is impossible for me to let the message you posted stay on Truckingboards.... take care and good luck to you...

badcode I am sorry I had to delete your post and very sorry of what happened to you if what you are saying is true but because of liability issues , it is impossible for me to let the message you posted stay on Truckingboards.... take care and good luck to you...

I completely understand your position in the matter, Jeff, and I do not begrudge you the removal of the post. I assure you everything that I said was true, but no person outside of that family owes any apology to my sister or I for what they did. I'm sorry that I brought such a negative story to your forum. It was only an effort to try to show the other person involved in the incident that even though they could not have had any idea as to the nature of a divine plan in motion 9 months ago; I am confident that they were in fact chosen by my god or theirs to do humanity an immeasurable service, and I hope that the cost of that service has not been too great for Bandana or his family. My thanks and my prayers go out to them.

i see bandana just about every nite in clt......he is doing fine

If he does not subscribe to forum, could you please let him know that if he is so inclined, he can feel free to contact me here, or via e-mail, telephone etc. The information that i used to create this account, and the guest book entry originally quoted are all accurate, and if he thinks that communication with someone who had the misfortune of knowing the deceased could help him in any way, I would love to thank him. I do not wish to open any old wounds for him, as the news story I read last night did for me, but sometimes it helps the healing. I never have to worry about the day that I bump into that individual if i'll be able to maintain the 'adjust person that i've become' and keep walking, or if i would handle it the same way that i would handle running into someone who did the same things to my son (nothing like what happened to me has ever happened to my son, nor will it ever). Even if you do not think it in Bandana's best interest to relay my post or my story, I completely respect that, and thank you for your reply.