Martin Brower

Moneyman01

Proud to be a dad!
Credits
I got a call from Martin Brower for a interview. I applied there about 3 months ago. Anyone got any info? I know I will be working every weekend and probably every holiday. Pay is good. First year is 65,000. Good retirement which is Union pension. My interview is friday so I'll know more. What do you guys think?

I got a call from Martin Brower for a interview. I applied there about 3 months ago. Anyone got any info? I know I will be working every weekend and probably every holiday. Pay is good. First year is 65,000. Good retirement which is Union pension. My interview is friday so I'll know more. What do you guys think?
You know what I think Brother, weekends are a small price to pay for a job like that, I'd be begging them right about now, at least with days off during the week you can get stuff done, at your age, working weekends won't last forever and once you get off of them it will probably be for good, think about that!

"Would you like fries with that?" They are a distributor for McDonald's. Most of their unloads are done on carts and lift gates. Talked to them not to long ago. They are closing the warehouse in my area and moving it to just outside of Youngstown, OH. Had a very long and nice chat with them but right now, not in the position to move out of state. They did however tell me that I basically have a job offer if I want. Nice folks.

Honestly Moneyman, I would go for it.

Also Money due to the way the product comes off the truck, you will be able to do the job into old age I imagine, I have watched them unload and often times all the McDonalds ppl are out there helping them :)

best foodservice job in a truck once u get a route...back when i with mclanes me and a mb driver layed over at the same hotel two times a week,he was out little rock...they had a extraboard like mclanes,he said it was hell too..but there work is two times easier than what we do...i was doin a little over 70 and he said had done 83 the yr b4 and wasnt working no where near as hard as me...good luck man..keep us posted

Thanks guys, Now I have a lil boy and getting married in August thats whats scaring me about working weekends. I talk to a buddy of mine about MB and he said when he looked into it years ago they had it so you had 1 weekend off a month. Kinda like a rotating schedual like fuel haulers.

When I quit Dawn Foods they hired a driver from MB and he worked there 8 years and those 8 years he never had a weekend off even tho he was suppose to have 1 weekend off a month but the senior guys always got it off and he had to work. He has said his last year there he made 110,000 dollars. I dont know if any of this is true. One driver at Dawn said they didnt hire a guy from MB and another said they did so I dont know.

Ramprunner you scared the crap out of me with the extra board crap. I will be asking questions about that. I will also be asking if they have any guys retiring soon or within the next few years. IF theres alot of guys retiring I could move up fast. I'm not getting my hopes up because I just have a interview but I honestly do hope it goes good. I'm still thinking about this and its all I think about right now and my Fiance says to take it because she likes the sound of the money. Go figure typical woman

Also here they dont have any liftgates. I never see any. Most of the time they use roller ramps. The drivers stands in the trailer and throws the cases down the ramp into Mcdonalds. Watched em do it many times. Looks Easy. Maybe they will switch to liftgates sometimes but I dont know. One thing that is helping I think is the fact I got food service experience. I just cant imagine getting a 48' trailer into a Mcdonalds Parking lot. I will definantly become a pro. I'm sure I will be on nights so then it wont be so bad.

I will be asking questions about that. I will also be asking if they have any guys retiring soon or within the next few years. IF theres alot of guys retiring I could move up fast.

Be careful in this thinking here because if the company is paying killer money and is a great place to be once you've got the seniority then the guys with it are going to be less likely to retire and give it up once they are there.

Plus, I was with a company before and this was there sales pitch to all new hires. Get your hopes up coming in and go through hell. Then once you get tired of it and move on.... they bring on another poor soul to play out this process all over again.

Its called Bait and Switch. Good luck.

yeah man that extraboard crap sucks...hope its different where you are at..that would be big question i would ask...
i went through that extraboard sh*t, i dont think i could ever do it again man.

yeah man that extraboard crap sucks...hope its different where you are at..that would be big question i would ask...
i went through that extraboard sh*t, i dont think i could ever do it again man.

You and me both. It does something to you doesn't it...:nono_h4h:

Whats it like on the extra board? Do you cover left over routes or do you sit home alot?

I didn't do the board in the food service, it was freight. You could be called after 9hrs off if you weren't driving and 10 hrs if you were driving. It was awful, God awful.

well moneyman let tell u little bit about mclanes extraboard....home u will see it for about 9.5 hrs and um not bullsh*tn..
extraboard u will cover extra routes..CALL OFF's!!!! you will be on call 24/7 literally not bs'n...they just want u to show a 10hr break no matter how long they have u bullsh*tn around the plant b4 u get home..no matter how much sleep u have gotten...they will call u for anything at anytime..it sucks,if mb has a extrqaboard where u r at,i would advise against it...but um strictly talking my experience b4 i got a route with mclanes..please ask questions

You guys have terrified me about this now lol. Im sure they do have a extra board being there union. But you never know they might have alot of guys retiring soon so i might not be on the extra board long (positive thinking).Ramprunner who do you work for now? I didnt realise extra board was that bad. I know alot of union companies have the extra board. My uncle did it at Yellow freight in the 90s been there 18 years now and is a union steward at YRC in chicago. My interview is at 9am tomorrow. Ill let you guys know what i find out

You guys have terrified me about this now lol. Im sure they do have a extra board being there union. But you never know they might have alot of guys retiring soon so i might not be on the extra board long (positive thinking).Ramprunner who do you work for now? I didnt realise extra board was that bad. I know alot of union companies have the extra board. My uncle did it at Yellow freight in the 90s been there 18 years now and is a union steward at YRC in chicago. My interview is at 9am tomorrow. Ill let you guys know what i find out
Don't be afraid of the xtra board, yes it sucks, but the reward for sticking it out with MB could be ten fold, put your big boy panties on and go get that job!!!! You know I'm kidding, I really think it would be a good move, being at the bottom sucks, no matter what board your on.

moneyman i have been with pfg a little over 2yrs...i worked for mclanes for 2yrs and left there for saia for 1yr and back to foodservice freight sucks...now i was making more money at mclanes than i am now but i work 5days and weekends off and barely scraping 55 a yr here...thats about all ur gonna get out pfg honestly lol..but man dont let this bs um talking scare u about mb thats a great job and they may not have a extraboard...hell like gt say put your big girl panties on go get that money..hell put any panties on...u can save your back and knees with them from what the driver used to tell me..good luck

I also use to work for Saia. That was a bad experience there. Here at GFS are route guys are making over 60 some close to 70 maybe more it all depends on the routes. Im a shuttle driver at gfs and i made over 60,000 last year. Like i said i will know more after tomorrow and get the low down

Ok guys. You want to know how my interview went? First I'm gonna explain why I went to GFS a year and a half ago.

I went to GFS because I was looking for a new company expanding. GFS is expanding and from what everyone is saying within 10 years there will be a warehouse in MN which I would be able to transfer and be top dog. When they build there grocery stores I could get a on grocery store run and do nothing but pallet drops. I really like working here and they treat me good and have good benefits.

Ok now my interview. I found out yes I will be on the extra board. I will be mainly covering routes and doing extra runs and doing specials (delivering shortages). I will be off monday and tuesday. No dispatch trucks on saturdays (routes) but they shuttle trailers to mason city ia to there other warehouse. Starting pay to me isnt that great. its like .11 cents a case and 33 cents a mile within 150 miles and 43 for over 150 miles. Once I get to bid it will most likely be a yard bid spotting trailers and fueling trucks. Yard work is hourly but I cant remember starting pay but its 22.50 top pay. You get 50 dollars per layover (not for food its part of the pay). Yard work you get over time routes you dont. I was told first year around 50,000 to 55,000. I did my road test and the guy that took it hes been there 3 years and his 3rd year he made 78,000 and hes still on the extraboard I think or hes utility. They have a handful of guys retiring within 3 years at the latest and a few more by 5 years and yes they have drivers making over a 100,000 a year. thats what I found out any questions just ask..

O yeah they offered me a job in the spot. and........................................................ I told them I was gonna think about it and talk to them next week which they are fine with. I'm gonna talk to my fiance about it because this will affect my family somewhat and its a big decision.

Thanks guys for your opinions and wisdom.

Ok guys. You want to know how my interview went? First I'm gonna explain why I went to GFS a year and a half ago.

I went to GFS because I was looking for a new company expanding. GFS is expanding and from what everyone is saying within 10 years there will be a warehouse in MN which I would be able to transfer and be top dog. When they build there grocery stores I could get a on grocery store run and do nothing but pallet drops. I really like working here and they treat me good and have good benefits.

Ok now my interview. I found out yes I will be on the extra board. I will be mainly covering routes and doing extra runs and doing specials (delivering shortages). I will be off monday and tuesday. No dispatch trucks on saturdays (routes) but they shuttle trailers to mason city ia to there other warehouse. Starting pay to me isnt that great. its like .11 cents a case and 33 cents a mile within 150 miles and 43 for over 150 miles. Once I get to bid it will most likely be a yard bid spotting trailers and fueling trucks. Yard work is hourly but I cant remember starting pay but its 22.50 top pay. You get 50 dollars per layover (not for food its part of the pay). Yard work you get over time routes you dont. I was told first year around 50,000 to 55,000. I did my road test and the guy that took it hes been there 3 years and his 3rd year he made 78,000 and hes still on the extraboard I think or hes utility. They have a handful of guys retiring within 3 years at the latest and a few more by 5 years and yes they have drivers making over a 100,000 a year. thats what I found out any questions just ask..

O yeah they offered me a job in the spot. and........................................................ I told them I was gonna think about it and talk to them next week which they are fine with. I'm gonna talk to my fiance about it because this will affect my family somewhat and its a big decision.

Thanks guys for your opinions and wisdom.

Wow! Hopefully I'll talk to you tonite, thats an easy decision but a hard one at the same time.