Martin Sum Killed at Vitran Express

runawaytrain

Wear their scorn with pride.
Credits
Martin Sum 57. Was killed at Vitran Express in Bensenville Illinios during a pretrip on 1-7-13. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family from all his brothers at Vitran. R.I.P.Marty

I didn't know Marty personally, but always feel a loss when any of us loses his/her life doing this job. Thoughts out to his family, it's never easy for them.

Sorry to hear about you loss over there at Vitran.Did he get hit by another truck during his pre trip inspection?
I have heard different stories....Last I heard he forgot to set his brake at the fuel island and his tractor moved pinning him between a pole. A tragic accident.

Official story we got from Don(?)Safety man from Chicago was that he stood on the step of the fuel tank and pushed in the clutch with one hand and turned the key with the other. Evidently the tractor was in gear and jerked forward, pinning him between the door and a post. The other door was locked so they had to smash the window out on that door to pull the truck out of gear to push it back to free him. They attempted CPR before the ambulance got there to assist. Did not bring him back. Sad.

I got an email from his brother today and he said

My brother Martin Sum was killed in Bensenville on January 7th. I wanted to say thank you for the sympathies, prayers and good wishes. I also wanted to say his keys were in his hand, not in the truck.
I miss my little brother so much. Thank you all for caring.

Rest in peace Driver

Official story we got from Don(?)Safety man from Chicago was that he stood on the step of the fuel tank and pushed in the clutch with one hand and turned the key with the other. Evidently the tractor was in gear and jerked forward, pinning him between the door and a post. The other door was locked so they had to smash the window out on that door to pull the truck out of gear to push it back to free him. They attempted CPR before the ambulance got there to assist. Did not bring him back. Sad.
Dumb move. I did the same thing myself once, but the tractor was in reverse gear, clutch engaged. I ripped the door nearly off on the tractor parked alongside. I was lucky, but stupid. Had it been in forward gear, this story would have been printed about me. Take your time, guys, do your job right and safe so you can go home again.

Man, I hate to hear about a trucker passing away. Martin is the same age as me, I know I have plenty of stuff rolling around in my head that could cause me to do something like this. My sympathies go out to the family.