ABF | Mass Exodus?

Could be like me, bottom guy that is full time got laid off & now he is the casual. No work for me so I drive 120 miles couple days a week to Tampa just to work.
If I had moved closer to Tampa I would have been hired full time by now.
Oh well, Fedex is building a major hub 7 miles from my house. Might get to work there. Don't want to do that but have to make living some how.

I am a died in the wool 18 year Teamster. And as much as I hate to say it, you may be better off with Fed-Ex. I am very glad to be working under a CBA. The work rules are better under my CBA than you will ever get from Fed-Ex or Conway or Estes or any other non-union company. But the pension fund will be long gone or very little left after you put in your time. I pay my dues even though I don't have to (Indiana is a right to work state) because it took those dues from the past & the future to obtain that CBA. And I can say about every time my Local 135 has returned my calls, & been helpful in other matters. Also I haven't had to pay a single dime in 18 years for my medical premiums. And that is worth @ least 4 grand a year after taxes are taken out. Only a Collective Bargaining Agreement got me no payroll deduction for Medical Premiums a week. That is unheard of in today's workplace. So I am very happy to pay 60 bucks a month & have work rules that help prevent a lot of favoritism between workers & management. And you will find benefits of all kind are usually better under a CBA. But everyone has different situations that dictate where they go to work or for whom. Hind sight is easy. Hence this post. Whatever you do protect your CDL, you protect your license & you can work anywhere, union or not. Good luck in finding your future. Von.

Almost forgot. We still have rats in our & any other union barn, but I think they are fewer than in a non-union company, & to be fired by what a rat said to management takes a whole lot more of evidence than any non-union barn.

Last edited:
Could be like me, bottom guy that is full time got laid off & now he is the casual. No work for me so I drive 120 miles couple days a week to Tampa just to work.
Oh well, Fedex is building a major hub 7 miles from my house. Might get to work there. Don't want to do that but have to make living some how.
I wish you luck with that. I know here locally Fred-Ex won't even look at a former union employee.

Road drivers at 094 get the sterling and the 10's and 11's because the city men come out of the terminal and walk over the bridge and take the best trucks while their city junk sits idle on the other side of the buildiing. Go figure
That'll probably come to halt when the e-logs and time clocks are put in operation. all our city tractors have them now(086) and are steadily installing them in the road units that come thru

ABF can't wait to hire you, then the dock guys get laid off and LH drivers sit at home. Looks like many at the break bulks are getting ready to go elsewhere again. Is ABF that slow right now?
We are extremely busy at 086 all the way up till late sunday night when we get current. mandatory overtime,friday-saturday nights usaually work till you want to go home. calling in shifts 2-3 hrs early

We are extremely busy at 086 all the way up till late sunday night when we get current. mandatory overtime,friday-saturday nights usaually work till you want to go home. calling in shifts 2-3 hrs early
That's good, Brother......Hope you guys stay busy. It should be that busy for all of us this time of year,....but it really seems to be pretty spotty,.....some places/companies busy,......and some places/companies dead in the water......Really funny economy now, ain't it? Just doesn't feel right....

.....Really funny economy now, ain't it? Just doesn't feel right....
Like the weather patterns the economy has changed. It used to be somewhat predictable and cyclical...Slow from January into March, steady through the mid year, busy as can be in the end of September then fairly busy 'till Christmas. Now we never know what we'll get...except lots of hours on Friday.

Like the weather patterns the economy has changed. It used to be somewhat predictable and cyclical...Slow from January into March, steady through the mid year, busy as can be in the end of September then fairly busy 'till Christmas. Now we never know what we'll get...except lots of hours on Friday.
Ahh,....Yes.......You're most tired and worn out from the other four days,....most frazzled nerves from driving in a crowd of texting idiots all week,.......bedraggled and sore,.....and,...Yes,....This is the day they want you to ....uhhh.....put forth your "best effort"......and pull that adrenaline up from that mostly dry source,.....Never mind that most "normal" jobs are done usually in eight hours on a Friday,.......No,....We are in Purgatory,...oops,...I mean trucking,.....and we have to stay until it's "done",.....Or you're "done",....whichever comes first.....

That's good, Brother......Hope you guys stay busy. It should be that busy for all of us this time of year,....but it really seems to be pretty spotty,.....some places/companies busy,......and some places/companies dead in the water......Really funny economy now, ain't it? Just doesn't feel right....
Absolutely right. there are some eol's in our region doing really well and some not so busy. Dont believe the media/politiianan's saying this economy is recovering you and i both know its not. couple months ago they were running around little rock straight to us. we could hardly keep up. guess they were having labor problems who knows. havent heard anything else about opening up memphis as a DC

Ahh,....Yes.......You're most tired and worn out from the other four days,....most frazzled nerves from driving in a crowd of texting idiots all week,.......bedraggled and sore,.....and,...Yes,....This is the day they want you to ....uhhh.....put forth your "best effort"......and pull that adrenaline up from that mostly dry source,.....Never mind that most "normal" jobs are done usually in eight hours on a Friday,.......No,....We are in Purgatory,...oops,...I mean trucking,.....and we have to stay until it's "done",.....Or you're "done",....whichever comes first.....

So very true, canary! They bust our onions all week long, then our most 'favorite' day of the week arrives, and all we wanna do is go home. But...alas...our lovely shippers just realized it's Friday...and, by golly, found 7 or 8 shipments that just HAVE to go out TODAY! Who cares if it's 4:45pm...go get those pallets!!

You guys sure do a lot of bellyaching for a dime a dozen crew who should just be thankful that you have jobs. Get the hell out there in your cold, hot (how can they be both?) itchy uniforms (BTW cargo pants are soooo passé), put on that happy face, exude that "skill and will", -15% (that is about what it comes to including vacation), endure those hazards like the professionals that we know you are and get 'er done. :ranting2:

You guys sure do a lot of bellyaching for a dime a dozen crew who should just be thankful that you have jobs. Get the hell out there in your cold, hot (how can they be both?) itchy uniforms (BTW cargo pants are soooo passé), put on that happy face, exude that "skill and will", -15% (that is about what it comes to including vacation), endure those hazards like the professionals that we know you are and get 'er done. :ranting2:
Careful, Brother,..........I can detect sarcasm at a hundred paces.......

I have heard, more than once, Fall of 2016 was the time table for Memphis. Don't have anything to substantiate this but I have heard that it is a go.
More time for OD to acquire more of those experienced mechanics before the move.

Several mechanics at the LR shop have gone over to Union Pacific with a substantial raise. The company prefers to pay dealerships $110 per hour flat rate than increase teamster's pay & vacation.

Well it's pretty tipical for city men to screw over road guys agree or disagree plenty of it going around we will all fall togather it is what it is every man for his self

:poster oops::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:Most break bulks have a few guys leaving. (Lack of work) It's gonna be humorous when the electronic logs kick in. All the hungry hippos who run 500+ 3 and 3 runs can't cheat anymore. And all the guys they hired to cover the mess are gone. Tisk tisk ABF