SAIA | Mass Exodus

Next time a desk jockey tries to tell you what to do, try this: very politely and without attitude (don't be snarky about it), as him/her to demonstrate for you so that you have a 100% clear understanding of the expectation. Without that understanding, there is too much left to interpretation and ambiguity. When they can't or won't honor your request, just be silent and walk away. The message will (hopefully) be clear: I won't tell you how to do your job and you are unqualified to tell me how to do mine. B
I gotta agree with Buck on this one...

Next time a desk jockey tries to tell you what to do, try this: very politely and without attitude (don't be snarky about it), as him/her to demonstrate for you so that you have a 100% clear understanding of the expectation. Without that understanding, there is too much left to interpretation and ambiguity. When they can't or won't honor your request, just be silent and walk away. The message will (hopefully) be clear: I won't tell you how to do your job and you are unqualified to tell me how to do mine. B
The company can't coddled to this kind of behavior. They will review it and go over it with you what should have been done and then you will sign the coaching session print out and then walk out. Trying to make them look like a fool won't work. They would see right through that and my guess is it wouldn't be appreciated. This isn't rocket science and if you can't get what they are telling you on the video then you are probably learning impaired and shouldn't be driving a truck anyway. And if you continue to try that ::shit:: you won't be. At least for SAIA.

The company can't coddled to this kind of behavior. They will review it and go over it with you what should have been done and then you will sign the coaching session print out and then walk out. Trying to make them look like a fool won't work. They would see right through that and my guess is it wouldn't be appreciated. This isn't rocket science and if you can't get what they are telling you on the video then you are probably learning impaired and shouldn't be driving a truck anyway. And if you continue to try that :::shit::: you won't be. At least for SAIA.

I do a good job of making them feel stupid whenever I'm coached, since it's always for the stupidest crap imaginable. Last one got so mad that he told me to get out and forgot to have me sign the paper. :hysterical:

Guess I'll transfer to that terminal and be the #3 line driver, might be down to 4 drivers total but #3 is #3 LOL

That terminal has some really good runs, but the TM is a real penny pincher and likes to play favorites with his drivers. He's also another one of those A-holes that likes to tell linehaulers how overpaid he thinks they are. Sounds like he will be gone soon, with the way he's taking this driver loss. He should have retired long ago.

I talked to a driver 2wks ago, he said they got 16 line drivers and 6 fixing to quit. He said 1 already have.
That sounds like TUL. WAC & AUS have lost drivers to. Having hard time finding qualified replacements.
HST lost there # 1 linehaul driver about three maybe four weeks ago...25 plus years with SAIA.

So I was accused of talking on a cell phone because there was an audible conversation going on in my cab.. the funny thing was I was listening to a podcast, and my phone wasnt in my hands, and i didn't have a bluetooth in my ear or anything like that. Anyways, if I'm going to have to put up with baseless accusations of something that may get me suspended or cost me my job, screw this place. Not to mention the "following distance" writeups I've been getting for driving on I-294 at 830am, it's absolutely impossible to have the "correct" following distance in rush hour. I used to LITERALLY never get written up with the old system, now I get written up 3x per week. They can find somebody willing to put up with this BS.

So I was accused of talking on a cell phone because there was an audible conversation going on in my cab.. the funny thing was I was listening to a podcast, and my phone wasnt in my hands, and i didn't have a bluetooth in my ear or anything like that. Anyways, if I'm going to have to put up with baseless accusations of something that may get me suspended or cost me my job, screw this place. Not to mention the "following distance" writeups I've been getting for driving on I-294 at 830am, it's absolutely impossible to have the "correct" following distance in rush hour. I used to LITERALLY never get written up with the old system, now I get written up 3x per week. They can find somebody willing to put up with this BS.

Not to mention it's now basically impossible to pass anyone going slightly slower than you without either setting off the camera or blocking traffic forever. When I'm following another Saia truck down the interstate, I can always tell whether or not they are in a camera truck by the way they drive. The ones who jump out in the left lane early and block traffic forever are the ones with the cameras, trying to avoid setting the stupid thing off while passing another truck.

They have basically made people into worse drivers with this idiotic 6 second following distance rule. But of course they don't know that, because they have no idea what it's like out here in the real world. They can't grasp anything other than what their computer screen tells them.

Back your speed down to 45 mph or so make their Freight late every day . Sounds like they are picking on you.

I know your pretty bright and very defensive so just let me say this. You know how the radar works. Your most certainly not stupid. I have this system down really well. As long as your not moving faster than the car that just cut you off in rush hour your fine. Correct? I'm constantly have to back down in rush hour. But here's the thing. I'm in no hurry. I don't care what happens or how late I am. I find it a challenge to beat this system but I beat it at its own game. If it wants me to back down then I back down. You guys take this :::shit::: way to personal. I take my time and if it's late .... It's late. It's not my problem.

I'm not talking about people cutting in front of you. I'm talking about trying to pass a truck on the interstate that's going 1mph slower than you. These guys will get out there in the left lane and creep along forever blocking traffic just to prevent the camera from going off. I do it too in the unfortunate instance that I get stuck in a truck with a nanny-cam. It was just an observation about how this system has created un-necessary situations because the robots are more interested in coaching you and telling you what you did wrong rather than hearing what actually happened.

Apparently you need to look in the mirror before you go around calling people defensive. Your automatic management defense system seems to be functioning quite well...

I'm not talking about people cutting in front of you. I'm talking about trying to pass a truck on the interstate that's going 1mph slower than you. These guys will get out there in the left lane and creep along forever blocking traffic just to prevent the camera from going off. I do it too in the unfortunate instance that I get stuck in a truck with a nanny-cam. It was just an observation about how this system has created un-necessary situations because the robots are more interested in coaching you and telling you what you did wrong rather than hearing what actually happened.

Apparently you need to look in the mirror before you go around calling people defensive. Your automatic management defense system seems to be functioning quite well...
I understand what your saying but you just have to deal with it. It's absolutely frustrating but it's not worth leaving this job over. We all must take the good with the bad. That's life. I find DriveCam a challenge. And I play by the rules and still win. I wonder if DriveCam takes it personal that I beat it's ass all the time.

Last edited:
I understand what your saying but you just have to deal with it. It's absolutely frustrating but it not worth leaving this job over. We all must take the good with the bad. That's life. I find DriveCam a challenge. And I play by the rules and still win. I wonder if DriveCam takes it personal?

Whether or not it's worth leaving is up to the person. If I knew Saia was going to turn out this way, I would probably have stayed over at Con-Way. I don't regret coming here because the insurance is better, but that's about the only benefit anymore, really.

Maybe not for someone close to retirement. But quite possibly for a younger guy with 20 years to go.
For some maybe. But I think it would be a mistake because in no more than 2 or 3 years every major LTL player will have them. You will have given up all your seniority and start all over at the bottom. SAIA has one of the best compensation packages in the business. You just can't beat SAIA's healthcare. Even OD's insurance isn't as good as ours. We pay OT after 45 and will probably get a good raise. Quit if you want but you won't escape the cameras. Damn guys, just adapt. They are not that bad once you get use to them.

The problem is they are running from the cameras. They will be everywhere soon. Why start over at the bottom just to buy a couple of years.

Not so much the cameras as the stupid rules that go with them. Notice I said rules, not laws. I've driven a nanny truck for a month. Camera sets off minimum of 8-10 times a night, yet no coachable events. HOWEVER, if I happened to have a Bluetooth, phone, cb, podcast, or food or drink, it automatically would have became a coachable event. So what happened in the video was no big deal until that. That is asinine.

Not so much the cameras as the stupid rules that go with them. Notice I said rules, not laws. I've driven a nanny truck for a month. Camera sets off minimum of 8-10 times a night, yet no coachable events. HOWEVER, if I happened to have a Bluetooth, phone, cb, podcast, or food or drink, it automatically would have became a coachable event. So what happened in the video was no big deal until that. That is asinine.
Hands free isn't risk free. I could post various links as to why. But you would just shoot it down so I won't bother. Bottom line is that SAIA wants to make the company as safe as possible and they feel their policy does just that. Like anything in life it has its drawbacks but the positive outweighs the negative. It's not my company so I play by their rules. I have no problem with that.