XPO | Massive amounts of damage freight

rangeman

TB Lurker
Credits
Am I the only one who is seeing damaged freight? I have been here a few years and am amazed at the amounts of damaged freight that is being loaded and unloaded on the trailers.It seems like overnight nobody cares anymore?

And you put this info out there for all of your customers to see. Why would you do this? Just try to make things right at your terminal and make an effort to not damage anymore freight and all will be better off. Just my point of view. :6817:

And you put this info out there for all of your customers to see. Why would you do this? Just try to make things right at your terminal and make an effort to not damage anymore freight and all will be better off. Just my point of view. :6817:
This has nothing to do with my terminal. When was the last time you went to a reship? I don't think customers have to look at trucking boards to see that their freight is getting damaged when all you have to do is open up the PND truck and try to deliver a pile of crap that used to be their freight. All I want to know is why nobody's doing a ******* thing about this? I work at a re-ship and I'm telling you this damage freight is spiraling out of control loading and unloading .

Just before XPO bought us out we had $100 million plus of claims. Since they bought us so I have never heard another word about damage freight. Trust me I see it coming and going and believe me it's not getting any better .The less they talk about it the worse it's getting

It's part of the cost of packing out and jamming these trailers to the ceiling. I bet our claims would drop if we stopped trying to maximize every cube of space and start building more pures like we used to, instead of handling freight 50 times before we get it to the customer.

It's part of the cost of packing out and jamming these trailers to the ceiling. I bet our claims would drop if we stopped trying to maximize every cube of space and start building more pures like we used to, instead of handling freight 50 times before we get it to the customer.
It's not even that anymore. Nobody management ,DSRS, dockworkers ,care anymore. The bad ones are only getting worse ,nobody recoup's freight. everybody just dumps it in a pile at your door. A whole new crop of DSR'S now only go after their own freight and nothing else. Then surf the handheld all night until their freight is being unloaded. Then they'll go up and grab it. All this information is in the computer is if they wanted to do something about it. People are opening up trailers without Setting them up ,grabbing their freight and just leaving it sit until the 10% that care about XPO realize this and go over and finish it. It really is starting to suck somebody got to start cleaning house

Did anyone else sign a training sheet at the fac a while back? We had the driver trainer go over it with us on proper loading techniques, and it said we would be held accountable. Guess that wasn't worth the paper it's written on either.

Why care? That's the real problem. You can break 10 trailers and recoup all the freight you want, but guess what? No one cares. You won't get a good job, a star card, a bonus, etc.. You'll just begin to be expected to do it all the time. Plus, why should I spend all that effort to recoup your freight if you won't do it for me.

Why do it because you have good morals, etc.. when you or your terminal can be the next ones laid off, not get a bonus, etc.. I go to many FACS and they haven't been fixing lights, replacing dock hooks, and other general stuff.

The good ol' boy network easy going lazies is alive and well at XPO!

It's not even that anymore. Nobody management ,DSRS, dockworkers ,care anymore. The bad ones are only getting worse ,nobody recoup's freight. everybody just dumps it in a pile at your door. A whole new crop of DSR'S now only go after their own freight and nothing else. Then surf the handheld all night until their freight is being unloaded. Then they'll go up and grab it. All this information is in the computer is if they wanted to do something about it. People are opening up trailers without Setting them up ,grabbing their freight and just leaving it sit until the 10% that care about XPO realize this and go over and finish it. It really is starting to suck somebody got to start cleaning house
I would start with fac fom's and fos's who don't care. I agree with you 100%!

Am I the only one who is seeing damaged freight? I have been here a few years and am amazed at the amounts of damaged freight that is being loaded and unloaded on the trailers.It seems like overnight nobody cares anymore?

Damages are just the nature of the beast in the LTL biz unfortunately. Having said that...what can be done to prevent as many of them as possible? Training!!! Begin by taking the new guys and teach them how to handle freight properly, i.e. use dunnage, block and brace, strap up and protect stuff. Baby sit the new guys for as long as it takes till they catch on. Assign new guys to seasoned freight handlers. Make a new guy pass a fork truck skills test and or precision loading unloading test. Don't let any new guy work alone till they prove that they can actually perform dock work w/o wrecking the heck out of everything that they touch. If it costs us a fortune to do that, well then do it. Better than going out of biz cause nobody wants to use us cause we wreck their freight all the time. We had a new guy poke a drum at my barn, Haz-Mat at that, which will cost this company dearly in chemtrec clean up charges,( not to mention the local fire fighter's charge). Would better training and checking on his work have helped? I tend to think that it would have. Accountability, all of us, both management and rank and file DSR's need to call careless freight wreckers to the carpet. If just these two steps were acted on in a serious way, things would improve. If this company took damages as serious as they do safety, then damages would slow down, and attitudes would improve. Points are given for injuries and accidents...why aren't they given for those who cause damages?
Remember this: Out at sea a ship's worst night mare, ( besides getting caught up in a perfect storm), is having a fire on board. If Conway/ XPO doesn't want to slip beneath the waves, it had better get control of the fire of uncontrolled damages that are threatening her very existence. Just my 2 cents !

Lol . . . Like a customer would care what some truck driver has to say!

This has nothing to do with my terminal. When was the last time you went to a reship? I don't think customers have to look at trucking boards to see that their freight is getting damaged when all you have to do is open up the PND truck and try to deliver a pile of crap that used to be their freight. All I want to know is why nobody's doing a ******* thing about this? I work at a re-ship and I'm telling you this damage freight is spiraling out of control loading and unloading .
I think its what we are now!

Did anyone else sign a training sheet at the fac a while back? We had the driver trainer go over it with us on proper loading techniques, and it said we would be held accountable. Guess that wasn't worth the paper it's written on either.
Its all just talk, but make sure you dont affend anyone that will get you in trouble!

I got you all beat. Our district HR person told a couple of drivers that there was nothing he can do for laziness. The HR person said this after a driver was tell him about what customers were saying about a driver in fact it was 6or7 different customers. So it make me wander why I work hard and care about the customers freight when HR says there nothing they can do about laziness.

I got you all beat. Our district HR person told a couple of drivers that there was nothing he can do for laziness. The HR person said this after a driver was tell him about what customers were saying about a driver in fact it was 6or7 different customers. So it make me wander why I work hard and care about the customers freight when HR says there nothing they can do about laziness.
If those of us that are intrinsically motivated stop caring about our customers (internal and external), we are done for sure!

r6G2Y27.jpg

Yea Im wondering also!

Why care? That's the real problem. You can break 10 trailers and recoup all the freight you want, but guess what? No one cares. You won't get a good job, a star card, a bonus, etc.. You'll just begin to be expected to do it all the time. Plus, why should I spend all that effort to recoup your freight if you won't do it for me.

Why do it because you have good morals, etc.. when you or your terminal can be the next ones laid off, not get a bonus, etc.. I go to many FACS and they haven't been fixing lights, replacing dock hooks, and other general stuff.

The good ol' boy network easy going lazies is alive and well at XPO!
Agree 100%. If you bust your ass they expect it out of you all the time and if you have a bad day you are called into the office. Yet the lazy one can do what that want. So I guess it true what the HR man said there nothing they can do for laziness.:couch:

Yep. Lazy drivers have it the best. Instead of taking the time and making the effort to make these drivers perform at an acceptable level , management ignores them and asks MORE from the drivers that aren't lazy.

I don't know if I've ever seen one of our lazy drivers ever get in trouble for being lazy. In fact , I think the lazy drivers are winning over the working drivers. I believe several drivers have went over to the LAZY side after they saw all of the benefits and perks - no downside.

Yep. Lazy drivers have it the best. Instead of taking the time and making the effort to make these drivers perform at an acceptable level , management ignores them and asks MORE from the drivers that aren't lazy.

I don't know if I've ever seen one of our lazy drivers ever get in trouble for being lazy. In fact , I think the lazy drivers are winning over the working drivers. I believe several drivers have went over to the LAZY side after they saw all of the benefits and perks - no downside.
I guess this is a company wide problem. I thought it was only at my terminal.