XPO | Massive amounts of damage freight

Lol . . . Like a customer would care what some truck driver has to say!
Well from a customer point of view, my son uses Conway XPO, YRCW, FedX and others. He cannot stand to see damage as his products are all shipped Just in time. He said he will keep a closer eye on things and may consider a shift more to YRCW or Fedx. He says he is 100% damage free with YRCW. But likes to spread things around. So you see a customer or family member does matter. I have no problem with Conway, but all this talk makes one think. Hope that most of this is just talk and nothing more.

I guess this is a company wide problem. I thought it was only at my terminal.

A lot of people taking their future into their own hands. Many people leaving. A bunch of smaller terminals around me can't even get apps. Goes with the territory. Some things are products of the situation.

I have been hearing a lot of rumors about going to a profit system on loading. Instead of cube. Profit. You got to get so much money into a trailer for it to go down the road. So extremely valuable freight wouldn't get crammed and jammed. This would change the dock ops as well. Instead of putting a trailer against the door to get credit for tonnage you would only put it against the door if you could justify the expense.

It's a lot to digest. Everything has to change. Everything will change. The " con dash way " is dead.

I guess this is a company wide problem. I thought it was only at my terminal.

Not only do the lazy guys tick me off, but many guys at my barn drive up to one another on their fork trucks, shut off the engines, and have a shoot the breeze time. I look around and see many different conversations going on all over the AM I/B dock. Why do I get so upset w/ these guys that waste and steal company time this way? Because my p&D load is being delayed being closed out. Today I didn't get to leave on my route w/ 14 deliveries till after 11 AM. It only makes for a very stressful day. BUT, if all the dock guys would stop socializing and begin stripping and loading instead, maybe my p&d run could leave earlier and not be so hurried. Management doesn't seem to care if dock crews don't work w/ any kind of a sense of urgency which makes things worse. Are we as dsr's suppose to police ourselves?

Not only do the lazy guys tick me off, but many guys at my barn drive up to one another on their fork trucks, shut off the engines, and have a shoot the breeze time. I look around and see many different conversations going on all over the AM I/B dock. Why do I get so upset w/ these guys that waste and steal company time this way? Because my p&D load is being delayed being closed out. Today I didn't get to leave on my route w/ 14 deliveries till after 11 AM. It only makes for a very stressful day. BUT, if all the dock guys would stop socializing and begin stripping and loading instead, maybe my p&d run could leave earlier and not be so hurried. Management doesn't seem to care if dock crews don't work w/ any kind of a sense of urgency which makes things worse. Are we as dsr's suppose to police ourselves?
Yes it sucks, but I stop stressing about it. I do one stop at a time and don't stress about appointments, closing or pickups. When you start bring stops back and missing pickups and there numbers start going bad then they take notice. When I came he I was not like that but over time I saw busting my ass just got me more and more expected out of me why the lazy one just got lazier

I've also stopped stressing about it. It doesn't help me at all. There's a guy that has to reload his trailer every day. it takes him an hour, and all he does is moves one or two stops. A dock worker told me we had a driver spend two hours loading his trailer last week. We have drivers that spend 20 minutes in the break room chatting before they even go to the dock. Nothing is said from management, but when I ask, I'm told all of our numbers are being watched. Hopefully our goals of being the most profitable, will eventually catch up to the bums. I think policing ourselves is a good idea. A lot of guys ignore management, but if coworkers start calling them out, maybe they'd get the message.

A lot of people taking their future into their own hands. Many people leaving. A bunch of smaller terminals around me can't even get apps. Goes with the territory. Some things are products of the situation.

I have been hearing a lot of rumors about going to a profit system on loading. Instead of cube. Profit. You got to get so much money into a trailer for it to go down the road. So extremely valuable freight wouldn't get crammed and jammed. This would change the dock ops as well. Instead of putting a trailer against the door to get credit for tonnage you would only put it against the door if you could justify the expense.

It's a lot to digest. Everything has to change. Everything will change. The " con dash way " is dead.
Very interesting. I wonder how that works if we have freight and can't make the numbers work? I do know we dropped some large accounts because they weren't profitable.

I'm shocked to hear how the attitudes on here have changed since the buyout. The posts were quite positive back at the buyout, and now look at how they sound. A lot of (justified) negativity from what I'm reading.
Trust me guys, I've been through this type of transition in the past, and if things don't improve, along with the attitudes, 5-10 years from now you will look back at what was once a pretty good company, and how it slowly slipped into the abyss, just like my old company did and has.
Talking about the damages:
Drivers have always blamed the dock workers for all of the damages, and since XPO has laid off a lot of dock workers and they have been replaced with more DRIVERS on the dock, wouldn't you think that the damages would be going DOWN? So maybe all of those damages weren't from the dock workers after all.

And for those of you who have always been one of the ones pulling your own weight and doing a good job..........if you become another one of the lazy bitches and decide to throw out your work ethic, the future of XPO is very vulnerable to failure.

Brad and upper management needs to wake up and see what's happening, but the employees better also, and continue to pull their own weight, otherwise you might as well abandon ship.
Just sayin'.
:popcorn:

I've also stopped stressing about it. It doesn't help me at all. There's a guy that has to reload his trailer every day. it takes him an hour, and all he does is moves one or two stops. A dock worker told me we had a driver spend two hours loading his trailer last week. We have drivers that spend 20 minutes in the break room chatting before they even go to the dock. Nothing is said from management, but when I ask, I'm told all of our numbers are being watched. Hopefully our goals of being the most profitable, will eventually catch up to the bums. I think policing ourselves is a good idea. A lot of guys ignore management, but if coworkers start calling them out, maybe they'd get the message.
Funny how we never hear about dwell time anymore!

I'm shocked to hear how the attitudes on here have changed since the buyout. The posts were quite positive back at the buyout, and now look at how they sound. A lot of (justified) negativity from what I'm reading.
Trust me guys, I've been through this type of transition in the past, and if things don't improve, along with the attitudes, 5-10 years from now you will look back at what was once a pretty good company, and how it slowly slipped into the abyss, just like my old company did and has.
Drivers have always blamed the dock workers for all of the damages, and since XPO has laid off a lot of dock workers and they have been replaced with more DRIVERS on the dock, wouldn't you think that the damages would be going DOWN? So maybe all of those damages weren't from the dock workers after all.

And for those of you who have always been one of the ones pulling your own weight and doing a good job..........if you become another one of the lazy bitches and decide to throw out your work ethic, the future of XPO is very vulnerable to failure.

Brad and upper management needs to wake up and see what's happening, but the employees better also, and continue to pull their own weight, otherwise you might as well abandon ship.
Just sayin'.
:popcorn:
That's true. As a driver I am starting to see the failed changes made by XPO to bring attitudes down. They did some house cleaning and then took it to far. They axed sales people then there was a sign in our place looking for sales people. Axed dock works and now looking to hire them. From what I been see they axed a lot of people that knew who a LTL company works and Brad and his buddies have no clue. My don't care attitude comes from the drive count they are running in fact someone from upper management came in and had 2 of our tractor batteries unhook so we could not use them and stay within driver count. That great customer service

That's true. As a driver I am starting to see the failed changes made by XPO to bring attitudes down. They did some house cleaning and then took it to far. They axed sales people then there was a sign in our place looking for sales people. Axed dock works and now looking to hire them. From what I been see they axed a lot of people that knew who a LTL company works and Brad and his buddies have no clue. My don't care attitude comes from the drive count they are running in fact someone from upper management came in and had 2 of our tractor batteries unhook so we could not use them and stay within driver count. That great customer service
That's...just....stupid

Yes it sucks, but I stop stressing about it. I do one stop at a time and don't stress about appointments, closing or pickups. When you start bring stops back and missing pickups and there numbers start going bad then they take notice. When I came he I was not like that but over time I saw busting my ass just got me more and more expected out of me why the lazy one just got lazier

The lazy people have taken over. And they will swarm anyone they see not towing the line.

Just sayin'.
:popcorn:[/QUOTE
Good luck with that!

Yup, AND if you start acting like everyone else, then you have no standing to criticize everyone else. If your only justification for not doing your best every day is that other people aren't doing their best every day, then I guess we need find the very first guy that stopped doing his best and blame him for all of our problems. Everyone else gets a pass.

[QUOTE="ESP, post: 1077019, member: He says he is 100% damage free with YRCW. .

That is a highly dubious statement.[/QUOTE]
Actually Stark Monkey, he also says he is 100% damage free with Conway XPO as well. Should that be a dubious statement ? I am just saying he gets good service from others as well an XPO. However with this talk, he will have to take a closer look at who is hauling his freight. My advise is and was , do not change anything because all is working well now. Which can mean that customers and family of the customers can read this and pass what they read. I was not being unkind to XPO, just stating the truth.

Do you know where they're going? I've heard a lot of coworkers talk about leaving for greener pastures, but then reality sets in when the see nobody is hiring.

I am in Columbus, Ohio. We have plenty of jobs. Dayton Freight doubling the size of their terminal. OD adding 100 doors. Other distributors like WalMart and Dole. For guys not in Columbus. I have heard mostly OD. But also FedEx and many just leaving LTL, there is a shortage. And you don't have to work this hard and deal with these headaches to make the same money. It's all about what's important to that person. Some are tired of doubles. Some are tired of the dock. Some are tired of the hours.

Took me a long time to learn too, Vet. Just remember, the more you do,or offer to do, the more you will get dumped on. Management always will take the least path of resistance....

Took me a long time to learn too, Vet. Just remember, the more you do,or offer to do, the more you will get dumped on. Management always will take the least path of resistance....
How true BRG !

It seems that even our I/b super has had enough of the stress. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he walks out the
door one of these days real soon.