XPO | Massive amounts of damage freight

Let those won't do the job correctly go elsewhere. ( get rid of the F--K UPS )
At my place that would be management. FOS on dock don't supervise anyone. FOS will walk right by two people sitting their lifts talking to each other and not say a damn thing. They stay up on the dock stand staring at a computer. How are you going to manage a dock like that? Grow a pair of balls and start confronting the slackers and talkers like a supervisor is susposed to. FOM and SCM just the same. Almost never see them unless you go up to the front office and look for a laptop with there face buried in it. FOM belongs on the dock keeping everyone in line and on task. SCM should come out from time to time and actually see what his people are doing. There should be consequences for not doing your job. It all starts on the dock. If your dock runs well than everything else should to. If it doesn't than nothing will. Management at my place either doesn't care or doesn't know. Neither is acceptable and either should get you walked to the gate.

A lot of those people you speak of Rad, are probably more concerned with the production goals they are told to meet by their boss, than worry about slackers and damages. I know exactly what you are saying, but don't think for a minute yrc, or any of the others are different.

You really believe paying a dock person 30 some dollars an hour will improve the quality of their work... Let me know where you are buying those left handed cigarettes you are inhaling...
They wouldn't last long. Even at that rate of pay. I blame the loader for not caring and management for pushing the numbers thing. I've never moved the 10 bills per hour that management wants, and never been called slow. I've also only been called out on one damage in 12 years (though I know I've damaged my share). So no, I don't think dock workers would improve the quality of their work for 30 some dollars per hour. Let's not forget that though moving freight isn't rocket science, some may not have the aptitude for it and should move on.

At my place that would be management. FOS on dock don't supervise anyone. FOS will walk right by two people sitting their lifts talking to each other and not say a damn thing. They stay up on the dock stand staring at a computer. How are you going to manage a dock like that? Grow a pair of balls and start confronting the slackers and talkers like a supervisor is susposed to. FOM and SCM just the same. Almost never see them unless you go up to the front office and look for a laptop with there face buried in it. FOM belongs on the dock keeping everyone in line and on task. SCM should come out from time to time and actually see what his people are doing. There should be consequences for not doing your job. It all starts on the dock. If your dock runs well than everything else should to. If it doesn't than nothing will. Management at my place either doesn't care or doesn't know. Neither is acceptable and either should get you walked to the gate.
And after walking by the guys slacking for 10 minutes (no kidding), the fos decides to hassle me for talking freight with someone!
That makes me want to work harder, how about you? I work hard so I can get my freight and get home! After all, that's our job right! My latest pet peeve is watching the dock workers cleaning up dunnage (that I often need) or loading a rack trailer instead of breaking or loading freight. Late breaker I've been waiting for, yeah, your often on your own. Frustrating for sure! All the fos cares about is him getting home.

They wouldn't last long. Even at that rate of pay. I blame the loader for not caring and management for pushing the numbers thing. I've never moved the 10 bills per hour that management wants, and never been called slow. I've also only been called out on one damage in 12 years (though I know I've damaged my share). So no, I don't think dock workers would improve the quality of their work for 30 some dollars per hour. Let's not forget that though moving freight isn't rocket science, some may not have the aptitude for it and should move on.
I agree

It boils down to training and expectations. You don't have to fire everyone to send a message. Especially if the previous message was wrong to begin with and no one agreed with it anyway.

But with so many changes coming. Why are we anything but certain that he will have a plan in store to adjust the way things are done on the dock ? He has a clear and obvious path that is driven be profitability or " EBITDA ". This will permeate everything that we do. How the trailers are loaded. Which ones hit the dock. Motor moves. Exceptions. Brick by brick there will be a new method installed for everything. He is being extremely deliberate. There is no reason for any drama.

It boils down to training and expectations. You don't have to fire everyone to send a message. Especially if the previous message was wrong to begin with and no one agreed with it anyway.

But with so many changes coming. Why are we anything but certain that he will have a plan in store to adjust the way things are done on the dock ? He has a clear and obvious path that is driven be profitability or " EBITDA ". This will permeate everything that we do. How the trailers are loaded. Which ones hit the dock. Motor moves. Exceptions. Brick by brick there will be a new method installed for everything. He is being extremely deliberate. There is no reason for any drama.
What you are saying is on point Highspeeds.

Someone hit the nail on the head about management ( FOS's , FOM's , TM's , you name it ) - they have their head buried in a computer screen while real life is going on.

Whatever Bradley Jacobs and Tony Brooks change should include an order to actually go out and physically interact a majority of your time on duty with the people and area you are responsible for.

You can watch numbers on a computer all you want but some things are best handled in person. Like a real woman versus a cyber chick , you can't fake the real thing. Set the mouse down and get your ass on the dock and manage and supervise - you might learn something.

I agree with all of you the fac I run is a joke xsw the slackers walk in and walk right out with the few of us that do work have to put in four to five plus hours on a dock it's a joke the management at that fac is the worst I've seen in years so much belittling and bad moral there is will never bid that place again they treat you like crap every night Brad Jacob's needs to wake up and fix these places

I work hard so I can get my freight and get home! After all, that's our job right! My latest pet peeve is watching the dock workers cleaning up dunnage (that I often need) or loading a rack trailer instead of breaking or loading freight. Late breaker I've been waiting for, yeah, your often on your own. Frustrating for sure! All the fos cares about is him getting home.
Thats the problem I have with dockworkers. They don't care about when things get done because there not going anywhere. I have alot of miles to go after the trailers get closed. I like how when that trailer shows up late and all of the dockworkers are out smoking. I feel like there is no sense of urgency. It pisses me off to no end. Takes all of my strength to not scream at people " shut the $!#% up and lets break this damn trailer.

Yup you make the job so lucrative that nobody wants to leave. Obviously you Will have to weed out the deadbeats. And you end up with a crew that will bend over backwards to get the job done right. Same with Dsr's.

Thats the problem I have with dockworkers. They don't care about when things get done because there not going anywhere. I have alot of miles to go after the trailers get closed. I like how when that trailer shows up late and all of the dockworkers are out smoking. I feel like there is no sense of urgency. It pisses me off to no end. Takes all of my strength to not scream at people " shut the $!#% up and lets break this damn trailer.
It's amazing how all you people blame dockworkers for everything when they've only been in the picture for four years we've had problems from day one 20/30 years. I work in FAC and believe me the biggest offenders of pure laziness I don't give a crap for the most part are the DSR's. They sit at the doors all night looking at the handhelds to see what trailers have their freight on it and then they watch the manifest when their freight comes up they run up and grab it and screw again. I watch the same pieces of crap night after night do this and if they do a breaker they dock everything until they get their freight and then they won't go back. We have one FOS the only one I've ever seen do this he will walk around with all the manifest in his hands and just hand them out to people that aren't working. It's priceless to see a deadbeat DSR look at a manifest and start whining that there's none of his freight on it. Hats off to you FOS.

It's amazing how all you people blame dockworkers for everything when they've only been in the picture for four years we've had problems from day one 20/30 years. I work in FAC and believe me the biggest offenders of pure laziness I don't give a crap for the most part are the DSR's. They sit at the doors all night looking at the handhelds to see what trailers have their freight on it and then they watch the manifest when their freight comes up they run up and grab it and screw again. I watch the same pieces of crap night after night do this and if they do a breaker they dock everything until they get their freight and then they won't go back. We have one FOS the only one I've ever seen do this he will walk around with all the manifest in his hands and just hand them out to people that aren't working. It's priceless to see a deadbeat DSR look at a manifest and start whining that there's none of his freight on it. Hats off to you FOS.
I agree it's not not just dock workers that are lazy. We have drivers that don't break freight and I don't generally have a problem with it. It becomes a problem when they pull stunts like you talk about and I see that all night everywhere I go. I also like to see fos's handing out breakers, but only to the lazy guys. I hate when they give me a breaker before I punch off my hook time and get a motor!
If we didn't have a driver loading our freight all night, all our freight would be on the dock at the end of the night, for which I blame the fos. That will never change. I have the "me first" attitude when it comes to breaking at the end of the night. You know, nobody wants to grab the last breaker! But when I do, I bring the freight to the driver where it goes and dock it. They are usually loading all their freight. If a dockworker is helping break, I get my stuff and screw. If not, I finish it.

Rangeman is 100% correct. There is lots of blame to go around. The original point I was trying to make is that the dockworkers are just going home when the dock shuts down and not hitting the road and so they don't have the same sense of urgency that many drivers do. As always, making generalizations gets us into trouble.

Am I the only one who is seeing damaged freight? I have been here a few years and am amazed at the amounts of damaged freight that is being loaded and unloaded on the trailers.It seems like overnight nobody cares anymore?

I went out w/ two shipments that were trashed today. Both were refused: one was on a 12' plus plt. I had to swing back to my barn to off load it so I could have room for pick ups. It's really getting bad w/ all the damages.
Was Just given a new account by a receiver I got to know. He took it away from another carrier just for us cause he likes us on the delivery side. The guy told me today when I went in to pick up his stuff, "one of my swps that you picked up for the southwest came in to my customer down there w/ half the bags destroyed."
All the effort to get the freight and guys just wreck it. Makes you want to scream.
Bottom line: If we don't get a handle on damages we won't have to worry about them after a while. Why? cause we won't have any business left to damage. All of our competitors will have our freight and we'll have lay offs, slowly go down hill, and eventually out of business.

I went out w/ two shipments that were trashed today. Both were refused: one was on a 12' plus plt. I had to swing back to my barn to off load it so I could have room for pick ups. It's really getting bad w/ all the damages.
Was Just given a new account by a receiver I got to know. He took it away from another carrier just for us cause he likes us on the delivery side. The guy told me today when I went in to pick up his stuff, "one of my swps that you picked up for the southwest came in to my customer down there w/ half the bags destroyed."
All the effort to get the freight and guys just wreck it. Makes you want to scream.
Bottom line: If we don't get a handle on damages we won't have to worry about them after a while. Why? cause we won't have any business left to damage. All of our competitors will have our freight and we'll have lay offs, slowly go down hill, and eventually out of business.
It's been a while since I've been in the city, but I remember the same situation. It sucks when you have to face that customer on a regular basis.

And yet our leader Tony Brooks isn't saying anything to us or to well anyone that I know of. If they want damages decreased they know how to do it..

All they care about are stupid cubes it's a joke example this morning on three empties at xsw I ask supervisor how many loads in the box he says none make it all fit in one trailer there are two empties in our load doors we had 88 cube to load off the dock that was it i blew the freight into two trailers floor loaded he got mad and threatened to make me strip both trailers into one I said what's the big deal were still on one empty he says your cubes aren't high enough I can't be closing trailers at 60 and 28 percent I explained well all the freight is blocked and braced properly and undamaged so I don't see a problem with this you still have to drag the trailers home loaded or empty that place is amazing some of the most uneducated people in the freight industry running it so the supervisor says do it again you will strip it out and could receive a loi am I wrong I mean if we were tight ok I'm not gonna floor loaded trailers that's why I asked what we're good for and what's in the box but this is the same supervisor that doesn't tell you when there's two loads for you in the box. and forces you to stay,when there is no hope at that place thank God only five more months of that place and they will never see me again

Last edited:
All they care about are stupid cubes it's a joke example this morning on three empties at xsw I ask supervisor how many loads in the box he says none make it all fit in one trailer there are two empties in our load doors we had 88 cube to load off the dock that was it i blew the freight into two trailers floor loaded he got mad and threatened to make me strip both trailers into one I said what's the big deal were still on one empty he says your cubes aren't high enough I can't be closing trailers at 60 and 28 percent I explained well all the freight is blocked and braced properly and undamaged so I don't see a problem with this you still have to drag the trailers home loaded or empty that place is amazing some of the most uneducated people in the freight industry running it so the supervisor says do it again you will strip it out and could receive a loi am I wrong I mean if we were tight ok I'm not gonna floor loaded trailers that's why I asked what we're good for and what's in the box but this is the same supervisor that doesn't tell you when there's two loads for you in the box. and forces you to stay,when there is no hope at that place thank God only five more months of that place and they will never see me again
You made great points about the empty trailers not being used with the focus on cube. Someone threatening you with a write-up because you used common sense doesn't surprise me. Make the FOS write you up. Call their bluff. There has to be a shred of decency in this FOS - I can't that the wheels have fell off this place that bad in management.

It's easier to understand what you are trying to say when you throw some periods in.