may I ask your opinion?

wassesname

TB Regular
Credits
what do you think of the machinists union compared to teamsters? our shop is organizeing, MENFs name came up a few times with no real explation. I understand there was a problem and i dont mean to bring up bad memories. any help in my self-education would be greatly appreciated . I hope I am not intrudeing on your boards.

the only problem with our current union is it is difficult to get support. it seems to be company run i may be wrong but we'll see come contract time

what do you think of the machinists union compared to teamsters? our shop is organizeing, MENFs name came up a few times with no real explation. I understand there was a problem and i dont mean to bring up bad memories. any help in my self-education would be greatly appreciated . I hope I am not intrudeing on your boards.

when i worked out of 02, it was the machinists union. suposedly, a long, long time ago, NEMF was teamsters, but things from here get muddled in conjecture and opinions and rumors. i heard many of the stories. the one story why it isn't teamsters anymore is because some guys either from one terminal or several terminals pulled a "wild-cat strike". supposedly then, at my former terminal (02) the owner of the company, had several passenger vans pull into the yard, several drivers got out, hooked up to as many trailers as possible, and drive off the property. all of this by the way, was witnessed by a (now retired) owner-operator who i am friends with, which he (the o-o) was leased on with NEMF.

you ask a "comaprison" to the machinists union to the teamsters..........

you would have been better off asking the "comparision " to apples & oranges........

you can't compare the 2 unions.

and YES, the machinist union, is "sleeping" with nemf management, and the owner.........a pretty well known situation many of us are aware of........

you must be relativly new to nemf.......

pro1,,, Im not w/nemf which is why i said i hope i am mot intruding on your board. thank you for the history lesson truely interesting. I am a mechanic and part of a organizeing drive and researching what is best for the shop guys. thanks again...

pro1,,, Im not w/nemf which is why i said i hope i am mot intruding on your board. thank you for the history lesson truely interesting. I am a mechanic and part of a organizeing drive and researching what is best for the shop guys. thanks again...

oh, my "applegies". i know that Ryder mechanics have the same union (machinists), and i "thought" UPS mechanics as well?

but, teamsters would be better. UNLESS teamsters doesn't represent mechanics?

now, you need to find this out by going to any board that is teamsters, like, NewPenn, Roadway, Yellow, and yes, even UPS.:smilie_132:

pro1, i appreciate your input, are there any examples you can think of? but I will ask on a few other boards like you suggest.

pro1, i appreciate your input, are there any examples you can think of? but I will ask on a few other boards like you suggest.

Pretty much any union will organize anywhere nowadays, mainly because of the sad state unions are in. I'm sure Teamsters will organize for mechanics... Much like a "machinist" union organizing for truck drivers... :tapedshut: :hide:

only from what i have been told regarding the teamsters, they were once the most powerful union in the world. they had some of the greatest benifits, i believe they had a "Gold Card" or something like that, and you would walk into any doctor, hospital, pharamcy and show that card, and EVERYTHING was covered 100%.

but, sadly, the world started to change. more and more companies demanded employee's to pay for those benefits. the union lost a lot. the companies not only threatend, but did move out of the country, breaking the union several times.

so, whether it''ll be teamsters or the machinists unions, NO union is 100% these days....

but, if I HAD MY CHOICE of working for a teamster outfit, or a machinist outfit, i'd go teamsters anyday..........'

and by the way, i ain't never been a teamster.

thanks pro1, do the mechanics feel the same way that you know of?

the mechanics i spoke with at Ryder have nothing fantastic to say about the machinists union, they had wished it was better. however, realize too that at least the machinist union represents machinists better than drivers. at least this was thier take on a union in general. nothing will ever be like it was years and years ago, you take what's offered or leave it. basically, this is what it boils down to these days.

Why have a Union?

If you are a Mechanic working at UPS Freight, perhaps you are confronted with an important decision to make now "If we go Union, which is better for us? Teamsters or Machinists".
If you want a Union that will provide you with that best Pension Program available today, 100% plus fully funded and has been for more than 25 years, go IAM. The Teamsters cannot match the purchasing power of the contribution dollars with their Pension.
However, if people have some other agenda that they consider more important than a Pension, IAM may not be answer. I always tell the men that they are the Union, not the Union. You need to do your own thinking, not to expect a Union to do it for you.
Is your job basically a good one, needing a little fine-tuning in the work rule area? You need someone to sit with you and put it down on paper, as it applys to your job. One size does not fit all here, probably your particular work circumstances are unique
to your job only. IAM can do that for you.
I hope this is of some help in the decision process. Best of luck to you and those that have to make the decision. Ganis :smilie_132: