MDW Terminal

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by imported_jayhawk, Feb 7, 2008.

1. imported_jayhawk

imported_jayhawk Member

How is MDW in Chicago? Is it a good place to work and are you busy?

2. GRPperson

GRPperson New Member

I used to work for this company when they had a terminal in Elk Grove and I still have friends that work there today, drivers running local and otr. I hear that the MDW terminal is sinking faster than the titanic. They got a new TM back in june or so who is just not very good.

Dayton apparently shares it P&L info with it's employees. (I don't remember them doing that when I was there but that was 15 years ago). I'm told in June the Chicago terminal posted a profit of over 100 grand for the month but has lost over 500,000 since then. The TM has been bringing in his own people and spending his time and energy getting the restroom painted while the operation went to hell. They got rid of all the people who knew what they were doing.

Two saleguys left the week this guy started because he has a reputation and the saleguys got lots of info on the new TM from other saleguys from this TM's past companies. Apparently he had wrecked havoc at Jevic a while back too.

Anyway both of Dayton's Chicago terminal dispatchers walked out this week and the drivers have been laying down because this guy is more interested in issueing warning letters for drivers being 5 minutes late than appreciateing them when they bust their butt. My friends are worried because they have been there a long time and still like the company but really dislike their TM. Their also worried because a handful of the newer drivers have been talking union. The TM is an old friend of the current RM who I hear is also "just not very good"

It's a shame really because it used to be a really decent place. I often tried to get some of my friends to come work where I was before I moved out of state and they would never leave. Said it was a great company to work for. That's not what their saying now. Now there are weekly phone calls to the corporate office complaining.

Maybe there is someone on the boards who stills works for Dayton who can shed more light on it but those are the things I hear. I wish them luck and hope my friends hang in there. Bad TM's are like bad weather, they pass.

3. imported_jayhawk

imported_jayhawk Member

Thanks for the info, they just hired a new TM from Fedex named James R. I guess he is there to clean up.

4. GRPperson

GRPperson New Member

He started this week but he is an Asst TM. I am told he has some baggage but the guys will give him a chance. I hope he's good because they need some solid leadership to turn that place around.

5. MAYHEM666

MAYHEM666 Member

I know this man personally, I think he can make the necessary changes that need to be made. I'm at ORD but I wish James R. well in righting the ship at MDW. All of you at midway give him a chance, he is approachable and will take any input you have in making it better for you all. Good luck!

6. jevicsup1

jevicsup1 New Member

You guys that are bad mouthing the TM at MDW are idiots. I say this because I know this man personally and professionally and you could not ask for a better TM! I tell you clowns this.....I worked for this man at 2 different companies and he terminated me from both places and yet we still, to this day remain friends! Honetsly gentlemen, this guy is firm, fair and consistant. He wants his terminal to be successful, that's why he had to clean house. Holding people accountable for their actions does not mean that he does not know what he's doing. Trust me, this guy's knowledge of the trucking industry is huge! You guys may need to give him a chance before you start forming unfair opinions.

7. cheesedude63

cheesedude63 New Member

This message is mainly for GRPperson, or any one else that likes to feed on rumors and mis information.

First of all, the history of the MDW terminal goes back about 5 years, and over that time, very little profit was made at this facility. The owners of Dayton Freight, decided that it was time that MDW go through a change in management that would allow this facility to function as it should and become profitable.

Since that time, there have been a number of changes designed to enhance the profitability. New management was added to facilitate the changes. Those that not want to adhere to those changes have obviously left or were let go. That is the result of change.

I have only known Scott for a relatively short time, and have found him to be fair, consistent, knowledgable, and very capable of turning this facility around.

Keep in mind, this facility has had its problems for a long time. Those problems came to light in the last 6 months as change was implemented to improve the facility.

Those individuals that left, left for various reasons, however, most of them were not forced to leave. It was their choice, and their choice only. It came down to be willing to go with the changes, or their time with Dayton would obviously end at some point.

Change is needed at MDW. The current management is capable of implementing those changes. The real question is....are the employees of MDW willing to accept and embrace those changes.

The owners of Dayton freight care about their company, their employees and the future. They are investing in the company, as well as MDW, to improve the future. People have to start accepting that the status quo is no longer going to work, and that they need to accept change. Dedication, hard work, creative thinking are just a part of what is needed. Not negative comments or rumors based on inaccurate information. People are going to be held accountable, something that was never consistantly done in the past.

If you really want to know how MDW is doing, just ask someone who is working there, who is doing all they can to improve the future of this facility, accepting the change that is needed to get to the future we are all looking towards.

8. wonderring99

wonderring99 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the trucking boards cheesedude63. I hope you find this site as enjoyable as I do. Please pass the word about this site to your co workers.

9. MAYHEM666

MAYHEM666 Member

Welcome Cheesedude, as wondering said tell everyone about his site and lets get some posts up here on the Dayton site. Good luck with MDW, Scott and James will right the ship.

10. Dockworker

Dockworker Super Moderator Staff Member

Bump! We need some Dayton infusion in here!

11. Dockworker

Dockworker Super Moderator Staff Member

I have some Dayton friends.
    They seem cool.
    I wish they would sign up and join in some conversations.

12. wonderring99

I know a couple of guys that work at dayton also. They are happy working there. They offer good service as a regional carrier.

13. 11th hour

11th hour Member

hello my fellow truckers,inquiring minds want to know if dayton is hiring road drivers out of the ORD terminal/:smilie_132:

14. wonderring99

15. 11th hour

11th hour Member

16. MAYHEM666

MAYHEM666 Member

I do work here, I know we need regional linehaul drivers at ORD [DesPlaines Il. Hope this helps.